Gonna build a 243AI here's the specs...Missing Anything?

Sam In Va

Gonna build a 243AI here\'s the specs...Missing Anything?

Hi you'all, I'm in the process of getting all the components together for a 243AI.
I've got a 788 action, bedded in a 70's style Adamski(sp?) style BRest stock..stock has no pistol grip sorta like an edge stock.
Canjar trigger adjusted to 14oz. and with a Shilen 32"blank... 4"run at the chamber end at 1.250 then straight HV taper. 1-10 twist.It should finish out at 30".
I wanna start consistantly getting groundhog kills at 500-800 yards. I think this will do it. Can this be a 1000 yard gun? Not sure yet what scope to put on it...Do you guys see any problems with this setup? Thanks, Sam in Va.
smile.gif

Re: Gonna build a 243AI here\'s the specs...Missing Anything?

10 twist wont stablize the heavys,otherwise sound pretty good-my-2-dave

If you are buidling a long range rifle, then you have to shoot the high bc bullets.

105/107's, therefore you need a 1:8 barrel.

It would not be the best idea to build this rifle with the 1:10...It would be difficult to sell, it would shot 80 grn bullets real fast, with a limited range but the wind will kill you...

I have a 22-250 1-8 twist that I shoot the VLD bullets out of and the accuracy is superb, but I am NOT IMPRESSED at all with the terminal effects of VLD bullets. That's the only reason why I chose the twist I did (10), to have a better selection of ballistic tip bullets. My kill ratio with the VLD's in .224 was about 50% with good solid hits for some reason. Are the terminal effects of the 105 and 107's any better, I wanna kill the chuck's, NOT punch hole thru them.... Am I missing something here? Thanks, Sam

For your 22-250 try the 75gr A-Max bullets. They kill with authority from my 22-243AI 8" twist. They also shot smaller groups than the VLD's in my rifle. Moly coating will help them withstand the stress and speed of your 22-250, 8" twist.

You should have no problem with your 243AI, 10" twist. I have a 6mmAI 12" twist and have made kills out to 700yds with 70gr-80gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I normally do not get shot opportunities out past that where I hunt.

The 87gr V-Max should be a good bullet to try in your rig. Many shooters report excellent accuracy and spectacular terminal performance. They may not work well in my 12 twist but should be perfect in your 10 twist.

VH

If you want to go the distance you don't have to, but should, stick with the heavy bullets in an 8 twist. Lighter stuff loses velocity and energy and gets it's but kicked by the wind.
Won't have any problems with the Amax's or MK as far as terminal results.
If you want to stay with a 10 twist I would use 90-100 BT or similar.

[ 12-13-2003: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Hey VH, actually, I had my 22-250 8 twist set up for the 75 grn. A-maxes. They shot superb, but only killed about 50 % of the time. Maybe I got a lot if bullets with thicker jackets.They may be worth giving another try. I've since switched to the 68 grn.RPVB Starkes and 80 grn.RPVB Starke's. He's outta business now, but I've hoarded them up and should be able to shoot the barrel out with what I have left. Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Sam in va.

Interesting, I've had 100% success with the 75gr A-Max. I do, however, start them out quite fast. They leave my 28" Hart barrel at 3,668 ft/sec but must loose a lot out of velocity out past 400yds.

VH

Hey VH, what's your longest kill with the 75 grain A-max? I shot one at 200 yards hit him solid(I thought) and the bullet punched a hole thru him and left a 5-7 ft groove in the ground behind him....finally shot up the a** and the bullet expanded THAT time..hehehe Ricocheting is not good for me, as I shoot around cattle. Sam

Sam,
I use the 80 grain Bergers at high speed and have mostly real good stops. My high speed 105 Bergers in my 3300 fps six almost always wounded which is why I went to the Vais to begin with. I should try some other brands in the 6 but I have too much fun with the .224 to go back for hoggin.

Sam,
I shot many of them between 450yd-550yds last season. I did notice what appeared to be frags penetrating the hides (occasionally) at that distance. Some slight ground disturbance on the hillside in the dry dirt. I always check the kills and I was NOT getting bullet penetration. No exit holes visible.
I've had long kills with the 6mmAI and the ordinary B-Tips. I normally don't bother with custom match bullets when hoggin'. I have tried the 80gr Sierra MK's but had ho-Hum accuracy and the BC isn't that good anyway.
VH

Well, I'm cranking the .224 68RPVB at about 3500fps and it's stooping them pretty well, if I ever rechamber the fast twist (8) 22-250 the .224 Vais is a consideration. I'm really looking forward to doing the 243AI, I've got 4-5 places to do some long Hoggin' and wanna bust'em! I could always do a 6MM Vais! Sam in Va.

I'm surprised that no one has developed the 6mmWSM yet. It should be good for at least 600-700 rounds of throat life.
But who's counting?

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts