Gonna build a 243AI here's the specs...Missing Anything?

Re: Gonna build a 243AI here\'s the specs...Missing Anything?

According to Hodgdon, the 243 WSSM is only good for 400, so I would guess the 6mm WSM would be good for 2 or 3.
wink.gif

Sam
The 10 twist barrel will stabalize the 95 grain Bergers with no problem.Bob Crone used it sucessfully at 1000 yards so chucks shouldn't be a problem.The muzzle velocity is probaly the single most important part of bullet expansion so if you weren't getting clean kills add more powder or shoot smaller bullets.
Lynn

Chris,

If you only shoot one round per week, the bbl should last for years.
grin.gif

db

1-10 twist is to slow for long range in this cartridge. I think I had to go to a 1-7 to shoot the 105 matchkings with extreme accuracy. I have done several of these.

Sam,
I just got my 6mmAI for Richards Custom Rifles in 10 twist. I plan to us 87 V-max bc.400 at 3600 to 3700 f/s Check out Richards website on varmint hunting. His guys are making kills out to 1000yds with the Vmax. The 105 & 107 will just punch thur at long range and will not expand. with a 10 twist you can also shoot 95 gr VLD's Berger's bc .525.& a 90 gr BT bc .410. Your 243AI will do about the same as a 6mm AI. good luck with the gun. Check out my Roanoke Egg Shoot in Roanoke VA.
Mark

WWW.RICHARDSCUSTOMRIFLES.COM WWW.ROANOKERIFLE.COM
Mark

Mark, I'm either gonna do the 243AI which the smith that lives 5 minutes away from me has, or I'll take a ride to Richard's about a 2 hour drive and see what he can do. Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.