Gongs, steel targets, need advice

chav0_12

I found a place that's pretty close to home where I can setup to shoot to 1k yards.

What I need is some ideas/help on deciding what to do for a stand that's reasonably portable and can be setup in a reasonable amount of time as it's not a place that I could leave it. Also curious what size gong(s) I should get. I intend to work my way back and develop dope for at least a couple of rifles. I'd probably start at 300-400 and work my way back to 1k in this area.

I think there's another area I can go shoot a mile, or close to it too. So I was considering getting 2-4 gongs or steel plates to shoot at but am not sure what would be adequately sized for the different ranges. Also not sure what thickness to get. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I personally like 12" gongs for out to about 800. After that I have a 16"x20 plate. It just makes it so much easier to make contact with the plate and make adjustments rather then missing the plate completely. Especially with shooting with wind. Going to 1 mile I haven't don't but plan on doing this spring. For that I'm thinking at 30"x30 plate should suffice. I've taken the 16x20 plate to just shy of 1300 yards and that the furthest I've personally shot. It was ok far that range.

I personally like 12" gongs for out to about 800. After that I have a 16"x20 plate. It just makes it so much easier to make contact with the plate and make adjustments rather then missing the plate completely. Especially with shooting with wind. Going to 1 mile I haven't don't but plan on doing this spring. For that I'm thinking at 30"x30 plate should suffice. I've taken the 16x20 plate to just shy of 1300 yards and that the furthest I've personally shot. It was ok far that range.
I appreciate it. I was thinking of getting like an 8" for everything in, and then a 15" or so for longer ranges, but I think I like the plate idea. I'm just not really sure what's adequate. What type of steel are you using? I'm thinking at least for the closer stuff the bigger stuff will be necessary.

Lots of info on you tube. I just used HD T posts and wire wheeled and sprayed the top 2/3 with salt water. Welded some angle iron on the back. Slide the target over and take it off when done. No one messes with my "old" rusty target stands.
Mild steel is nothing like AR500. Old cutter bars off from plow trucks is awesome steel if you can get some.
Another thing that works incredible is quality plow disks. Not some cheap junk. They come all different sizes The last thing I bought was a 20 inch and I think I paid just under 50 for it a year ago.
I just went to my local co-op tractor supply they measure them in millimeters it's about 3/16 thick.
The closest I shot it was 100 yards with a 223 barely scratched it

Lots of info on you tube. I just used HD T posts and wire wheeled and sprayed the top 2/3 with salt water. Welded some angle iron on the back. Slide the target over and take it off when done. No one messes with my "old" rusty target stands.
Mild steel is nothing like AR500. Old cutter bars off from plow trucks is awesome steel if you can get some.
Another thing that works incredible is quality plow disks. Not some cheap junk. They come all different sizes The last thing I bought was a 20 inch and I think I paid just under 50 for it a year ago.
I just went to my local co-op tractor supply they measure them in millimeters it's about 3/16 thick.
The closest I shot it was 100 yards with a 223 barely scratched it
The unfortunate thing is that I don't weld or have a welder. I'm sure I know at least a couple of people that do though.

you can get creative with making a wooden portable stand.
I actually have stand in my back yard right now that I think I could use. It's an a-frame tube stand for something. It's a little larger than I'd like to try to move and it's all the way in the back of the yard. I'd just have to add some attachment points. This was my original plan but I wasn't sold on it because it is larger and cumbersome than I'd like.

Last edited:
I appreciate it. I was thinking of getting like an 8" for everything in, and then a 15" or so for longer ranges, but I think I like the plate idea. I'm just not really sure what's adequate. What type of steel are you using? I'm thinking at least for the closer stuff the bigger stuff will be necessary.
My 12" gong is 3/8 ar500 and it holds up well. I won't shoot it closer then 300 with a magnum. The plate is scrap steel 1/4" and it will hold off 7rm 180's at 2880 mv at 800 and out. Same with 300 win 215's and 225's. It dents it pretty good but it holds them back. Closer then 800 and it's gunna start putting holes in it. But then you just replace it every so often.

Mine is a little overkill, but the idea of targets mounted on a trailer is quite portable. It is 6x6 timber backed and then 4ft x 4ft x 1in ar500

Attachments

• 20190524_180831.jpg
    20190524_180831.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 176