GONG / PAPER FUN MATCH - how did i do?

top predator

don't know if this topic / question fits in this section, but here goes (long post):

my local shooting club Factoryville Sportsman's club in NE Pa.) has a range 200m to 385 (218y-421y) that has been neglected for 15+ years, and has mostly been forgotten about.

so i started trimming some brush, cutting some trees, spraying weeds in a limited area where a few silhouette target swingers were located.

10 feet wide for personal use became 30, then 50, then more. then i approached the club's board to hold a long range event (this is considered long range at the club) which happened on sept 29th.

the board approved of it with extreme caution, as the way the club ranges are setup, the other ranges would have to be shut down for the day for safety reasons.
fscarielview-Copy.jpg

there were many other concerns. they also restricted it to members only for this first time, just to see what the response would be. if it was positive, future events (if approved) are to be opened to the public.

as all of this was as at first to be out of my own pocket, i asked long and hard for donations of materials.

so i had some 3/8 steel and 1/4 steel plate donated by one guy.
i thought of alot of target designs, and came up with sizes of most NRA, CMP, benchrest, F class, silhouette, etc. target sizes used to simulate the black scoring area and 10 rings of the thargets used in those disciplines, along with game animal body sizes (elk, bear, dear, turkey, coyote, small game, critters and varmints:

Round gongs are to simulate 10 rings / black scoring areas of paper targets used in NRA or CMP competitions at 200M & 300M: International, High power, F class, Benchrest, National match, President's rifle, Service rifle, Vintage sniper and to simulate game animal body sizes for ranging.

i figure if you hit a particular gong size at a certain distance, you at least know that you are in the higher scoring rings or 10 ring for the compeition the sized gong represents.

there was 18", 12", 8", 6", 4", 3" gongs, along with an 18" square plate and 8" round plate hung above it at 421Y to simulate a human silhouette target. some paper targets where also thrown in.

after a few attempts to make racks "on the cheap", the final rack design was nicer than i thought, all pieces can be interchanged (legs, crossbars, etc are 5' high / wide 1.5" square perforated stock and fit into the braacket (1.75" square perforated stock to hold them together. minimal welding and abilility to repair any destructive hits within minutes.

i thought windflags would be useful and give a "professional" look to the range, so i used a red bed sheet cut to the shape of range wind flags, hose clamped to aluminum rods that i found from a covered patio swing dumped on the mountain. next year (if there is another event) i'll have red and yellow, just like the world class ranges.

targets were afixed with chain (conveyor belt material in the future) @ 14" & 25" lengths and 5/16 nuts, bolts, and washers for ease of replacement and standardization. basically the only tools needed at the range once built is 1/2" ratchet, 1/2" box wrench, 2 pairs of plieers, and bolt cutters.

here are a few of the building of the targets & racks pictures:
STEELTARGETS1FORWEBSITE.jpg

STEELTARGETANDRACKFORSITE.jpg

ASSEMBLEDRACKFORSITE.jpg

this is what the backstop looked like to the left and right of the single silhouette swinger

BACKSTOPBEFORE.jpg

with only a machete, bowsaw, shovel, weedwacker and my two best friends left and right (hand) and some blood sweat and tears, started to do what i can, and finally the day of the shoot:

the shooting stations:
SHOOTINGSTATIONSFORWEBSITE.jpg

the shooting line still has to have some work done, but is still ahuge improvement from what it was just a month or two ago. some benches (some where actually picnic tables for the time being) and some open pad for offhand / prone / sitting / kneeling positions - shooters choice.

due to limited bench space, i had a rotation going - 10- 15 min per station, move to the next distance to alow athers hooters to get in the rotation. you can get back in when all stations are shot.

the way the range looked on shoot day:
SHOOTERSVIEWFORWEBSITE.jpg

THE3BACKSTOPSFORSITE.jpg

the day was successful, no complaints, everyone left with bigger smiles than what they came with and the same amount of holes :), fo damage to any property or incidents.

i attached a survey to the range "program / flyer / rules" as to get some feedback so i can get some idea how i can get it better and what i need to do in the future to make a more attractive event to members and non members alike.

tomorrow i go to the board metting with a proposal for a regular scheduled event.

the end cost was 520.00, but the board president did say i will be given a check, which took a load off my mind as mentioned before, it originally was coming out of pocket. i know better quality targets will have to be purchased, as .3006 mad swiss cheese out of 1/4" steel and dimpled the heck out of 3/8 at 200m (mild steel, again it was donated and "expendable"). AR500 in the future, able to handle just about anything. 50 cal (if allowed by the club) could use the paper targets.

so if approved, a better wider groomed backstop and shooting line will be established.

so i ask of the internet guys for input:

if something like this was added as a scheduled event, would any of you guys in the area come to shoot?

i figure $10-$15 fee, honestly, is that too much, too little or just right?

those target sizes mentioned before....do they agree with you? (they will probably be purchased from a few Hide vendors / members)

any other input is welcome. as far as i know, this is the longest range in my area in a controlled environment that will be (hopefully) opened to the public. hopefully some of the CMP guys at the club will join in and have a full distance sanctioned match, and with some nudgeing other sanctioned "real shoots" may happen. but as it goes now, it's mostly a "fun" or practice range day. maybe a few $ games implemented to win for the day, but that's something to think about for the future.

also they have a kitchen that has one heck of a good menu, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Looks lick you worked your but off for a good cause. All the targets look good but AR steel is needed.

All in all you did great and if I lived around there I would come to your shoot just to burn powder and have fun no prizes needed but you could have a 3" round gong at your 385m backstop setup for a longshoot contest at the end of the day five bucks to shoot last man standing wins

thanks for the kind words.

yeah, for the 1st event i had to keep my eyes open for any safety issues. heck, i didn't even bring a firearm to shoot!

hopefully they will approve my plan and have it added next year to the schedule.

any other input on what anyone would like to see in a monthly "long range day"?

Getting back from the club board meeting, they said I'm approved for 6 dates for 2013 (4th Saturday of the month) 8:00 a.m. to noon:

April 27
May 25
June 22
July 27
August 24
Sept 28

I'd like to have seen a more frequent opening of the range, but I have to take what is offered.

All of below subject to change to be finalized in the future, hopefully to be set by February 2013:

For right now I think $15.00 for non members $7.00 for members for a fee should be good, they have a kitchen that will be open for breakfast and lunch and has a pretty darn good menu.

COF will probably be changed a half of dozen times before the final COF as alot of it will be put together being put into the matches.

Better benches and wider groomed backstops are a must along with additional targets to be added, along with keeping open spaces for position shooters.

I think for now a timed rotation will work for safety and to keep things moving along, probably 10-15 min each distance to prevent bench hogs and give everyone a shot at the different distances, a cease fire called to tend to any targets that need it (about every 45min). You can rejoin the rotation to shoot more. Plus I think this will work well until I can make sure there is enough room on the firing line and works well with the final COF determination. I thnk this'll also not limit the number of rounds that can be taken, for more trigger time. This may also change as the final COF is set.

Should be a mixture of round gongs (18", 12", 8", 6", 4", 3"), steel "zombie silhouettes" (18" square torso, 8" round heads), some steel varmints, and paper targets with backerboards.

I'd like to get AR500 3/8" or 1/2" plating to handle magnum calibers, if anyone knows where a few sources of supply of plating that I can get to cut later, I'd appreciate it. Will also get already made to shoot steel targets from the 3-4 vendors here on the site. Without that, magnums may have to be retricted to the paper targets.

Thanks for all the forth coming suggestions, I can certainly use your help for popular COF suggestions and any places to get proper material.

More to come when everything, including your suggestions, is taken into account.

thinking about it today a simple out of the box COF for the tactical style match:

1. set up a point system for the gongs and the other targets, starting at 200M / 218Y and working your way out.
2. take 2 shots per gong - if you hit on your first shot, move on. if you miss, you get 1 more crack at it. (potentially 32 rnds on 16 gongs at 200, 300, 385 meters)
3. 2 shots to the body and 1 to the head on the zombie at 385M / 421Y. (potentially 35 rnds)
4. i've had the suggestion of a barricade, maybe a shaving cream filled balloon "peeking around" the barricade on either the left or right 1 shot per ballon, 2 balloons (1 at 300M / 328Y, 1 at 385M / 421Y (that's 37 rounds)
5. use another barricade at the 300M / 328Y shooting line...1 shot over, 1 shot under, 1 shot around it on the l and r side (thats 42 rounds)on a 12" gong. that'll throw in a kneeling or sitting shot, a prone shot, and a support side shot.
6. 1 shot at a groundhog target at each distance (thats potentially 45 rounds being used).
7. get bonus points for 1 shot 1 hits by getting extra points for ammo unused
score the hits, and then the tactical flavor match could have their match within the match. then the month after switch up the COF alittle bit to make it different like a n ever channging IDPA scenario. a portion of the fee to be put in for prize money. the ore shooters, the more the prize. then you can get back in the rotation for plinking if you wanted to.

for the silhouette guys and gals - could do the same on the swingers at the same time, and have their match within the match. any of the CMP guys could do their thing, and so on. i hope that the CMP guys at the club jump on board and have a full sized match at the 300M instead of reduced target at 100Y. joining forces could benefit both outfits.

theres alot that can be thought up, i figure i have till february to lock a COF into place that's fun and interesting, again taking suggestions and implementing them. though i'm not thinking of having any type of sanctioned NRA, CMP, benchrest or silhouette match at this time, the potential is now there if someone wanted to run with it.

maybe it'll be too much happening at the same time, but a 3 way or more "match within a match" and some plinking may just be the way to satisfy the masses and different shooting styles. i'll analyze the crap out of it and see what happens on paper.

i would like to keep (if i can) the fee to 15.00 for at least the first year to keep it economical. if i'm still in "the black" keep it at 15.00, if in the red maybe a few bucks more.

again, now i've gone from crawling to walking, teetering on jogging. if it works out in 2013, i'll be sucking wind in 2014 and maybe will have to expand to a full day rather than till noon. i think a full day will help to get folks in that can't make it in the morning, and less of a crammed in morning crowd. i just have to take what time slots they are offering me now.

I'd like to get AR500 3/8" or 1/2" plating to handle magnum calibers, if anyone knows where a few sources of supply of plating that I can get to cut later, I'd appreciate it. Will also get already made to shoot steel targets from the 3-4 vendors here on the site. Without that, magnums may have to be retricted to the paper targets.

Thanks for all the forth coming suggestions, I can certainly use your help for popular COF suggestions and any places to get proper material.
More to come when everything, including your suggestions, is taken into account.

Interested to come and play. I'm in the Towanda area and am seriously considering coming. This is the only event in the close proximity that i know of. Great work and thanks for all of your time.

I am interested - I'm from Wilkes-Barre area.

Slightly off topic, but I have no experience shooting past 100 yds. I am pretty accurate at 100 yds, but realize that past that range there is a lot more to it. I have an AR15 capable of 1000M and an Trij ACOG sight (with BDC). I would love to be able to participate in some kind of "clinic" where I can get some help and experience in longer range shooting, as well as gain some experience in shooting long range with my setup. I also do not have a spotting scope (or regular buddy, for that matter, to go with me anywhere).

A match would be cool, but I probably have no chance, and have little chance of even progressing to stages where I would get a chance at harder/longer targets.

Do you think there is any interest or possibility of setting up training/clinic type things? I consider myself to be a newbe, for sure, and don't really know what's around here for this kind of thing, or what level of interest there is, etc.

Thanks

probably the best you can do is search topics on long range shooting, get some well regarded literature on the subject. get a .22lr, shoot alot at 100. then move to 200Y. where you are from, i don't believe suscon has 200Y, but GL300 range does. put a serious effort into the .22lr you would be amazed at what you learn from it.

reading wind, ballistics, and the fundamentals of marksmanship that spill over nicely into centerfire.

if you can find it, get some ammo and shoot 200Y with your AR, then 100 starts to seem easy. when you get used to 200Y, progress to a longer distance, and so on.

in another topic here i have the details of this years shoot, search "factoryville" you should be able to pull it up. it is for fun, no pressure, and you'll walk away with some idea of what you need to do. you can always observe and ask stuff.

we'll have 3 types of courses, a plinker, a silhouette, and a tactical marksman course. you can always sit down at the bench at the plinker station and click off a few rounds to warm up to the idea.

sometimes the biggest enemy is thinking you can't do something. while sometimes realistic, you never know until you give it a try. don't be intimidated, come on up.

Thanks... Suscon only has 50Y and 100Y. I'll have to check out GL300, haven't been there yet.

I have a reasonable amount of MK262 MOD 1 am I saving for LR shooting :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.