Golf Ball at 300 yards ?

I cut a Golf Ball open on the school bus in 4th grade, Early 60's, yes I carried a small fingernail cleaner with the tiny knife blade back then, I got to the center core and Sprayed Mercury allover me and the bus, it got into my eyes and I had to go to the DR to have my eyes washed out and checked for damage. I got into a little trouble but not much because I along with everyone at the school didn't know there was Mercury inside. so it was a mistake that could happen to anyone at the time and the knife thing back then was no big deal. but today, they would have HUNG me for Terrorism.
Yea, different world now. I use to take my rifle , win 670 30-06 on the school bus to school and kept it in my locker on fridays if i was going hunting at a friends house over the weekend. Didnt raise an eyebrow from anyone in the school system. These days they call in the swat team to the school if someone sees a freshly shot shotgun shell in a students truck bed.

220AI —- resealed, chunk missing, blown-up, or slice off side (infrequent) & they do swing on a piece of Monofilament 😉. That pic really looks Faked!!!
For crying outside people, I know the picture is fake. It was just a talking point lol
I think of my father often. He taught me a lot. My brother and I still have his home. I was very glad to have him after I got out of Vietnam in 1970 after a year in combat under my belt.
Thank you for your service! Your war still gets forgotten too easily!

Yea, different world now. I use to take my rifle , win 670 30-06 on the school bus to school and kept it in my locker on fridays if i was going hunting at a friends house over the weekend. Didnt raise an eyebrow from anyone in the school system. These days they call in the swat team to the school if someone sees a freshly shot shotgun shell in a students truck bed.
I did the same thing. We even had a range IN THE SCHOOL BASEMENT!!!!!! Loved those old days..

You guys ever played 22 golf? Sit at a bench and toss golf ball out in front of you. Use a 22lr to push the golf ball past a pre determined point off in the distance. Shooter with the least shots wins.
I would not condone the loser having to pound a beer. But I've heard that it has happened. :)

.22 Golf sounds intriguing, will have to try that! My boss from the gun shop showed me a similar game using shotshell hulls. Set up a line of them and then knock them over. He was on his High School's position rifle team (in CA no less!) and was hard to beat.

@msmith57, I am now on the third one of the knife that I was given in the 7th grade ('77) and started carrying every day, a Camillus Navy Electrician's Knife. Carried the seccession of them all through school, college, etc., one is in my pocket right now. I didn't use it to cut open that golf ball though, that episode in my life pre-dates that knife. Flying commercial is the only time that I don't have it in my pocket.

Amen, the Vietnam War doesn't seem to be wholesale forgotten, but our vets of that war sure are.

Shot one at 100 yards before and it exploded with rubber band type material everywhere.
Had to be the old rubber wound ball with the liquid centers. The ones today are mostly solid cores. I worked at a driving range picking up balls as a preteen. ;-) Now I just find em on the course, where the mower whacks them up.

Pic is BS. I've done it at 100 yards with my 308 and the ball went 2-300 yards in the air and was blown apart when it landed
100yds AR-15 55gn Nosler varmageddon bullet, disintegrates the golf ball.
200yds AR-15 65gn Sierra GameKing bullet SBT, Disintegrates The golf Ball.
300yds 6.5CM 120gn Sierra Pro hunter spitzer, Disintegrates the golf ball.
500yds 6.5CM 142gn Sierra MatchKing HPBT, I haven't been able to locate any internal pieces from any balls at this distance to date.. From the flash on impact looking through my scope all I see is a little puff of something. My spotter see's about the same thing that I'm seeing. Upon walking down and checking for pieces all I have found is a piece of outer shell. There is nothing else I can honestly say about this on my end. Bullet properties, Velocity and Angle of hit determine a lot when shooting golf balls or any thing else for that matter. I find that shooting golf balls with my AR-15 at 200yds to be very relaxing and very satisfying.
One other note on this subject. A lot of the older golf ball have a steel core in them rapped in twine. The newer ones have changed over to a hard rubber ball rapped in like a rubber band. My father in law in his golfing days as a semi pro built custom professional golf clubs on the side. So I have life time supply of golf balls to shoot. We both have found that this works in lowering our blood pressure. FORE REAL.
EDITED for speaking On a subject that I'm definitely not qualified for. "GOLF Ball Construction Time frame."
Yep, I had to call my FIL on this matter after reading some of the other post. Apparently the hard core balls are the newer style and the rubber core are the older ones. The balls that we are shooting, range from early 1970 -2017, when he stopped golfing and building clubs. The Neuropathy in his feet are slowing him down at 86, But it's not keeping him off the bench on the range or out of his reloading room. I believe that Reloading keeps the mind sharp and on point. Heck, he's in the process of building another Long Range CreedMoor. All that, tells me is, that he is no way ready to give up on shooting any time soon in this life time. (Thank God)

Last edited:
That was the 'old' golf balls; they don't make them anymore with the rubber windings. Today they are two piece solid balls , three piece solid balls and even four layer golf balls. The more layers, the more expensive!
I was only 8 when my dad cut one apart, so that was 1989 lol For some reason, I've always remembered it though.

Those golf balls are no joke at 1000 with a slight swirling breeze.

C56C93DD-3F39-4321-B620-1A0DC2C5C892.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts