>>>>>Going Wolf Hunting in Idaho/Montana.... or BUST<<<<<

These threads about hunting Wolves crack me up. It's the hardest animal to hunt here in Idaho.
I've been hunting here since 2006 and I've yet to see one while hunting. I've heard them across the way up the other side of the valley but never saw them. They were pretty close as they Howled for a while before daybreak then went quiet.
The only Wolf I ever saw was while driving up the mountain before the season while scouting.

I've seen tracks but never have been in the right place at the right time. I wouldn't come here specifically to hunt Wolves from that far away. If you want come hunt Elk or deer then get a Wolf tag
just in case you are lucky to get a shot at one.
Sounds like you need to hunt harder!
I have a couple friends that went to Idaho when our Montana season was a 1 wolf per year.
They smoked 2 wolves in 1 weekend.
Why would you discourage someone from wolf hunting?

Harvesting a wolf while hunting something else would be okay, but it would not have the same thrill or value as when they are the designated target. It's not about harvesting any game animal... but HOW you harvest it. It's not about the kill.. but about the hunt. To get one as a second hand harvest... is just that... second hand.

Years ago i drove a Datsun station wagon all the way to Durango Co by myself to bowhunt backpack for elk. Everyone said to shoot the first elk you see, well, I could have shot several cows and spike bulls within a couple of days, but that was not my goal. Meat was not my focus, but those big Beautiful horns were... so I ended up without any elk that year... but that was okay with me.

I guess in the same way, I would not want a guide to find the animal... point it out... and say... there it is...shoot. That works out just great for many... but not with me... but that's just me... thanks so much for your input.

>>>>>Going Wolf Hunting in Idaho/Montana.... or BUST<<<<<

You Guys have seen my threads about wanting places to hunt coyote, but after learning more about the wolf problem in Idaho as well as other Western States... my focus has changed. I understand the problem wolves are causing to ranchers, but what really BURNS me is what they are doing to the Big Game. I'm not going to be focused on trying to get some kind of trophy...NOPE... I want to help level the playing field against this threat.... which is getting worse by the minute. I have the time and the money to dive right into the middle of this mess and say..." Here I am.. what can I do to help" But before I take off half cocked, I thought I'd start a thread for any helpful tips or suggestions. Thanks Guys....Dan
Do you have NVG's or Thermal optics?

Just read an article today in the NRA magazine about a guy who was surrounded by a pack of wolves while out checking trail cameras. The pack was growling at him and he shot a wolf in self defense. The camera showed this to be true, and no charges were filed otherwise.
For those of you who want to hunt wolves, especially if you go out alone, be careful, and be in condition orange. A pack of wolves is not quite like the movie THE GREY, but they are definitely not NATGEO.
Too many people who hunt deer and elk, go into wolf hunting with the same gear, and mindset they do while hunting deer/elk. You want to hunt intelligent predator/meat eaters. Remember that you are made out of meat, and out numbered.

No it doesn't because my friend has a pair that said I could use them if needed... so what are you thinking?
In many states there are no restrictions on using NVG's or Thermal optics to find, observe, and watch game animals. Those items are only restricted when hunting those animals. Obviously research needs be done for each state. But using those optics to find the wolf pack when they have their guard down at night, might be an option. Then return during hunting light, and legally hunt as the state allows. It's an option. That I know is very effective.
I hunt in a state where coyote hunting allows those optics.

Sounds like you need to hunt harder!
I have a couple friends that went to Idaho when our Montana season was a 1 wolf per year.
They smoked 2 wolves in 1 weekend.
Why would you discourage someone from wolf hunting?
How many have you killed in Montana?