>>>>>Going Wolf Hunting in Idaho/Montana.... or BUST<<<<<

Because of the amount of territory a wolf can travel in a day, I say good luck killing a lot of them, it just isnt going to happen to a rookie. What Brent has done killing 11 is pretty amazing, if you all knew what he does to get them, you would decide the comittment is too high. If you ever get into a pack, they are easy to kill and it will happen fast.....last time I had that opportunity was 6 years ago so you can see how lucky you have to be. I can go out any given day and kill 2-6 coyotes, but I cannot do that on wolves, its a whole different game.........long distance animals......coyote may live in a 4-6 mile square, not so on a wolf and it is mountainous country.....not many roads.

Last edited:
So how did this all pan out? Did you make it out west and smoke a pack a day like the bumper sticker encourages? I can't wait to see a pic of all them pelts.

Here you go Trout....

1608207348616.png

>>>>>Going Wolf Hunting in Idaho/Montana.... or BUST<<<<<

You Guys have seen my threads about wanting places to hunt coyote, but after learning more about the wolf problem in Idaho as well as other Western States... my focus has changed. I understand the problem wolves are causing to ranchers, but what really BURNS me is what they are doing to the Big Game. I'm not going to be focused on trying to get some kind of trophy...NOPE... I want to help level the playing field against this threat.... which is getting worse by the minute. I have the time and the money to dive right into the middle of this mess and say..." Here I am.. what can I do to help" But before I take off half cocked, I thought I'd start a thread for any helpful tips or suggestions. Thanks Guys....Dan
If you make it out to Idaho let me know I can take you out to a few places I have gotten into wolfs and have good sized packs!

Gruidie... that is a DATE for sure.....thanks.... I'll keep in touch with you. You have made me think hard about getting one of those Hell Canyons in the same caliber as well.... but I would need it in a lefty if possible.... it's not mandatory because I shoot righties all the time, but a lefty makes it all go so much smoother when in a hurry.

PS... keep your Dance Card open for me.

Gruidie... that is a DATE for sure.....thanks.... I'll keep in touch with you. You have made me think hard about getting one of those Hell Canyons in the same caliber as well.... but I would need it in a lefty if possible.... it's not mandatory because I shoot righties all the time, but a lefty makes it all go so much smoother when in a hurry.

PS... keep your Dance Card open for me.
Dance card? I'm not tracking?

I read a good number of these posts. First off, Wolves are not all that smart. They are very aware of their environment, have great noses, excellent hearing and good eyesight. That said, they aren't any smarter than the average German Sheppard, just well adapted to living in their environment. If you study Wolves, their behaviour, food, and social interactions you can maximise your chances of taking wolves regularly.

Wolves primary behaviours are driven by their need for food. The reason they cover large areas is to locate enough food. If food is very plentiful in a much smaller area, their range will contract greatly. They do not travel for fun and adventure, they travel strictly to locate stuff to eat. Wolves up north follow the Caribou herds over long distances, thousands of miles, of migration because that is the only consistent food source. Don't know if it is legal down there, here in Alberta there aren't many rules when it comes to killing wolves, but hunting over bait makes it significantly easier to take wolves regularly. A regularly replenished bait pile will keep the wolves in the area, and coming back for as long as the food lasts. ONLY bait with road kill, do NOT use domestic animals or you will teach them to eat cattle, sheep etc Poison laced bait, when wolves do kill a cow, is a common method of wolf control for a good reason, it works really well and puts them off killing cattle. Like a German Sheppard, wolves do learn from experience.

Wolves are very territorial. They do not like dogs, coyotes or other wolves in their areas. They will actively hunt, kill and eat competing dog species. Also, packs with younger pups and immature adults will often teach them to hunt using coyotes as they are a much less dangerous target than large ungulates and can be run down easier.

If you are restricted to calling wolves, go with someone who is already good at it or hire an outfitter. Pay very close attention to how they setup, how they call and all the things they take into consideration. Becoming good at calling wolves takes a lot of thought and care in how you set up. The actual calling part, especially with electronic calls, is the easy part. Having the right approach paths, wind control, scent control, screening or blinds is all critical. So is being able to stay warm, so heat in the blind means you can stay out much longer.

Best of luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Interesting topic for sure. "Our" planted wolf population is spreading across the state from The Gila NF to Coconino NF into Flagstaff. Prime Antelope, Elk, deer and ranching. Concerned for all wildlife but for campers and kids especially. The wolves are reproducing easier and growing along with the "puppy mills" created at the state level. Just don't know what's going to happen but I don't think its going to be a big positive here. Too many people in this state of AZ, to not have a run in with a hungry pack.

Interesting topic for sure. "Our" planted wolf population is spreading across the state from The Gila NF to Coconino NF into Flagstaff. Prime Antelope, Elk, deer and ranching. Concerned for all wildlife but for campers and kids especially. The wolves are reproducing easier and growing along with the "puppy mills" created at the state level. Just don't know what's going to happen but I don't think its going to be a big positive here. Too many people in this state of AZ, to not have a run in with a hungry pack.
Wolves will decimate your game populations, they will move on to domestic animals once food gets scarce but the chances of a human being attacked are so remote as to not even be a consideration. Northern wolves are very large animals, and the further north you go the bigger they are. Many wolves up here have never seen a human in their whole lives, if wolf attacks were going to be common it would be from these types of animals. If you hunt your wolves, control them, the last thing they will do is approach humans. Even if you don't hunt them, wolves have an innate fear of humans that goes back centuries. I am all for heavy control of the wolf numbers but lets use factual and realistic reasons, not the Hansel and Gretel version.

Try the Gospel Hump wilderness. Lots in there. Probably not too good right now. I think most of their food source (ie elk and deer) are wintering in Riggins. My brother hunted the Gospel Hump a few years back and saw a lot of them.

So you mean it doesn't happen?

There's more.

Hansel.
I didn't say it NEVER happens, what I said is it is very rare and a poor argument for advocating wolf control. If you look hard enough there are attacks on humans from virtually every animal from Rabbits to Hippos. Coyotes actually attack far more humans than most people realise, there have been 4 fatalities here in Canada in the last 5 years and hundreds of non-fatal attacks, while the last wolf fatality is some 15 years ago in Saskatchewan.

These threads about hunting Wolves crack me up. It's the hardest animal to hunt here in Idaho.
I've been hunting here since 2006 and I've yet to see one while hunting. I've heard them across the way up the other side of the valley but never saw them. They were pretty close as they Howled for a while before daybreak then went quiet.
The only Wolf I ever saw was while driving up the mountain before the season while scouting.

I've seen tracks but never have been in the right place at the right time. I wouldn't come here specifically to hunt Wolves from that far away. If you want come hunt Elk or deer then get a Wolf tag
just in case you are lucky to get a shot at one.