>>>>>Going Wolf Hunting in Idaho/Montana.... or BUST<<<<<

I used mountain and black mouth curs for coyote hunting . I don't think it makes much difference just so it obeys you well and will come back when you signal it to other wise you won't have it long . If you are not a dog person and owner now don't bother with the dog just for the hunt it will end up being more trouble then it's worth .

If you have a dog that does not run off don't leave it in the truck. I swear my yellow lab was the reason I had such luck calling coyotes and wolves which you knew were there but couldn't see. With that dog there they would very often show themselves.
When this game first started and wolves were not call shy I would howl or predator call and if they howled back it was only a waiting game until they showed up almost always right at last light.
If they bark back at you, you are pretty much sold out.
My dog would roam around about a 20' radius if I told her to.
Or sit in my lap and keep my legs warm.
Never had another dog do this but she would do a low growl when she saw a coyote or wolf was coming in. Then you just had to find them.
Plus a good dog is good company!
They lay down canine scent. And you can study how they travel.

All of my cur dogs would range out a couple hundred yards then come back in and repeat that and that is what I wanted them to do . If there was a coyote around they always let me know first by locking on to it's sight or by a low murmuring growl they would then stay close by standing to my side or just behind me till the time came for the fun to start for them un-less I told them not to go out .

All of my cur dogs would range out a couple hundred yards then come back in and repeat that and that is what I wanted them to do . If there was a coyote around they always let me know first by locking on to it's sight or by a low murmuring growl they would then stay close by standing to my side or just behind me till the time came for the fun to start for them un-less I told them not to go out .
Do you let your dogs range that far with wolves?
I **** near got a black mouth cur about 6 years ago but decided not to.

I don't . A good dog is like your wife or the rest of your family nobody but no body gets to use them . I got old enough that it wouldn't be fair to a dog to start training one . If you have a good hunting dog or horse and don't use them it's abuse of that animal and a good animal can be ruined or get killed in short order by someone that doesn't mean to but just doesn't know what they are doing .

Follow the game, they got to eat! But there is a reason they had to be trapped out and not hunted, they are a smart animal.

Most importantly and surprised nobody said the bullet selection is of the utmost importance! You must use FMJ's! You want them to run off so you can't find them and then you can go shoot another without burning your tag. That will help the most. Happy hunting!!

When you study the history of predator control and wolf control in particular it wasn't just one method that took them out of conflict with people . It took denning , trapping , hunting and they used a lot of poison baits to get them . When people first started settling in the western part of the United States there weren't very many controls on what people did or could do . As people started getting more populated and we had more people that really didn't think about what they were doing there were abuses of the control methods and reckless use of things that then caused harm to things that shouldn't have been . So then in response they put laws and bans on things we used to control problem animals ( a reactive response not a proactive response ) and today we see some people that still don't think before they do they just do then wonder why people get upset and sportsmen get a bad name by just a few bad actors that don't know better, haven't been taught better and a very few that just don't care about their fellow sportsmen only themselves . We as sportsmen have a responsibility to try and teach others , our children and ourselves about the moral codes that we should live by and set good examples for others by our words and interactions with the rest of the people we come into contact with so that we can help to prevent farther loss of our hunting privileges . We may not like the wolf and know what harm they do to other wildlife that we hunt but someone else decided to put wolves of the type that weren't here into our lives so now we need to do our part but do it by the guide lines we have been given so that we don't look like a bunch of out of control foolish people and get even more restrictions put into place that will hamper us even farther with our desires to be out and about .