Going with Accubonds

You have made a great choice. 160 grain 7 mm Accubonds out of a 7 RM have worked for me from Alaska to Africa with no failures. I also had excellent results with partitions prior to the Accubond introduction. Longest shot with the Accubonds was 585 yards on a waterbuck. An even half dozen wildebeest one shot kills with them also. Have a great hunt and don't worry about your bullet choice.

Any rifle that uses "tips" is subject to this failure. I'm surprised that the hunters didn't notice it missing or check to see if that was the problem.
The "TIP" problem has been resolved. Call Nosler and they will replace your bullets for you when you give them the lot # off of the box. I gave them all of my lot #'s and they knew which ones to replace no questions asked. I don't know if they will pay your gunsmith fees however.

After much consideration, I am going with Nosler Accubonds to hunt elk later this year. Is that a good choice, Yes or No? Thanks for all the info!
Great choice. I've shot over 20 elk with 150gr accubond in 300WSM at 3350fps. 100yds out to over 700yds. Never lost one. They work great!! Here is a couple pictures of my biggest bull. He's an old bull, was going down hill.(Biologists said 16-18yrs old).Taken at 764yds. Grosses about 370".
BF35F5B5-CAFF-4412-BAA8-52B20DBCE1F0.jpeg
31416AA0-4FA9-4675-9B55-A043347A008C.jpeg

3 bullets I use in 300 Rum depending on what and where.
200 gr. Accubond
181 Hammer
215 Berger Hybrid
A bonded , mono and cup and core .
All good performance if I do my part.
300 Rum was at gunsmiths last year so I hunted with 6.5 PRC and 143 ELDX and 6.5X284 Berger 140 VLD. Both were fine but a little explosive on bone but that's the type bullet.
Have all 3 bullets mentioned above loaded for both 6.5's. just need to put them through targets .

Last edited:
Home;

Can you explain that a little please? I would have thought that would have been a great combo. Thank you for your time.

Alesandro

Sure, and I know this is a sample size of one hunter on a handful of animals, and that shot placement is key, etc. so that it's probably not possible to draw statistically significant conclusions and so on... but every animal I shot with the 6.5C ran further than I expected. In some cases they went much further. None of the animals that surprised me in this regard were spine shot or heart shot I will admit. But the double lung shots were simply not impressive. A few days of hunting with the 6.5 resulted in a shot at a fallow deer that my PH thought I might have missed at 125 yards. I was certain I had executed the shot properly but the animal just didn't react at all. I shot again and there was a very minor flinch and the animal took a few steps and fell. On examination my two shots were about an inch apart, both double lung. The first shot would have killed it but it's disconcerting (to me) not to see any reaction or even be able to tell if you hit the animal at all. The smaller animals (springbok) did react when hit, but then they ran away causing me to have to attempt shots and running animals and/or track them down for follow up. This never happened with the .30-06. My buddy was using a 6.5C with 143 grain ELD-X and did not experience the disappointment I did (nor is he a better shot on average). Based solely on performance on one hunt, it seems like the ELD-X beats the AB in the 6.5 for African game (although on paper I do not believe it should with its non-bonded construction).

Odd things happen in the field though. If someone else reports remarkable success and happiness with the 130AB in 6.5C I would tend to believe them. I have found them devastating on North American pronghorn.

I switched to Accubonds for my 7MM Mag several years ago for a hunt in Alaska. Son advised they are well regarded by Alaskan hunters and he had very good luck with them on moose. Did not get a moose that year but a few years it worked very well on a white tail deer here in Michigan. Deer went down like it had been pole axed at 235 yards. :)

Accubonds will all of the sudden hit the wall when opening, I found at 2200 fps I was recovering bullets after going through deer that were barely open after going into peat bog. If you see an animal killed with an Accubond and the impact is below 1800 fps it was tumbling that got the job done not an open bullet. There are better choices but also worse choices IMO, close they do well but being tipped I've had the worst blood shot on elk from Accubonds just be sure you use the real BC not the one on the box!!
So where does one find the real BC?

I have used both noslers green tips, and Accubond for years. I use a 165 grain in my 308 Norna Mag and 200 grains in my 338 Win Mag. I have used them both for Elk and Africa large game. Not on the big 5 in Africa. I am loaded hot @ 3300 fps, and 3220 fps respectfully. Under 1/2 at a 100 ydrs with both of them.

SSS

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.