Going to pick up a muzzy, had to give up archery. Advice needed

If u can't use a crossbow, which most states allow with a Doctors note, consider going the smokeless muzzleloader route.
Trust me on this one, I've went through more muzzleloaders than I can count and will never go back to anything but smokeless.
Every possible variable is infinitely better....except the price. They can be expensive, but there are more affordable options available today that can get you into a smokeless at a reasonable cost.
There is too much info on the subject to post here. If u want something that shoots like a centerfire, has the same maintenance, and will never ever leave u with any doubt or uncertainty, PM me and I'll get u headed in the right direction.
Actually there is one disclaimer.....if you don't think you'll be using it much and/or you will never want to shoot beyond 125-150yds, I'd say an encore with 209 Blackhorn. But that same Encore can be made into a smokeless and your velocity, accuracy, energy, consistency, and clean up/maintenance will be improved significantly.

So after 30 yrs of archery hunting, i have been told by my dr that i will have to give it up due to having has both shoulders fixed on 3 separate occasions. So my question is where to start? Gun, powder, projectiles, etc. This will be next year, as the current season is quickly approaching and i don't have a tag either. Looking for advice on what works, what doesn't and i realize that each person is different, so this is for notes and research. Thanks in advance
I use a .54 cal. Hawken flintlock, open sights, black powder and even cast my own lead round balls. In Florida, it can be a challenge to keep the powder dry but it always goes bang. Good accuracy and hits hard. I have had to switch to a crossbow too...lots of titanium parts inside these days. Good luck with your choices!

I hunted two seasons with black powder in CO. This was over 20 years ago, so I don't know anything about the newish ignition systems and black powder substitutes.

I was using a .45 cal round ball rifle, and decided it did not have enough knock down power for elk. I'd go with .50 minimum, maybe even .54 cal.

Maybe another thing you should 'investigate' is BPCR (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle). You know, hunt like the old buffalo hunters. Now, I cast my own bullets and load with real black powder and see if I can hit that plate at 1000 yards with open sights. But I have also used it on deer here in NE.
Course, you have to wait till the smoke clears to see if you hit anything - LOL

So after 30 yrs of archery hunting, i have been told by my dr that i will have to give it up due to having has both shoulders fixed on 3 separate occasions. So my question is where to start? Gun, powder, projectiles, etc. This will be next year, as the current season is quickly approaching and i don't have a tag either. Looking for advice on what works, what doesn't and i realize that each person is different, so this is for notes and research. Thanks in advance
I've had 18 months to plan my muzzleloader hunt in NM in a couple of weeks, so I've researched your question a bit. I settled on a 50 cal. Remington 700 Ultimate and 95 gr, by weight (136 gr. volume) of Blackhorn 209 powder, with a Harvester #150 sabot and a 400 gr. Parker Black Max projectile.
When BH 209 is used in this particular rifle you will need to order a custom breech plug from Arrowhead Rifles and the accompanying primer module which fits your rifle's headspace (Arrowhead will provide this too). With this rig I have been able drive the bullet @ 2100 FPS, sighted in at 150, it is dead on at 200 and effective put to 300 yards.

Sounds like it is time to get a crossbow. Talk to your doc and he can help you get a disabled permit. In Mo. i had to do that and a few years later they made them legal for everyone. It has made a big difference in how much time i can spend in the woods and i love it.

I am in the same predicament as you. Can't any longer do conventional or compound bow due to physical issues. I'm 74 and simply don't have the upper body strength to do conventional bow hunting. Did I quit? No I didn't but I did switch to what some purists hate... is a crossbow. Don't pay attention to those that belittle you for shooting a crossbow, at least you are still bow hunting. You can also try gun hunting. I do both and get deer during both seasons to fill the freezer, which for me is what it's all about. Don't give up. There are many options out there.

Get a raven 26

Thanks for all the great advice. It look's like i picked the wrong time to look at muzzle loader hunting. I am looking for a CVA Optima SS with sights and there is not one to be found anywhere, except alaska, go figure. I can't even locate 777 powder and/or 209 primers! Guess the hoarders gobbled up ML components as well.

Thanks for all the great advice. It look's like i picked the wrong time to look at muzzle loader hunting. I am looking for a CVA Optima SS with sights and there is not one to be found anywhere, except alaska, go figure. I can't even locate 777 powder and/or 209 primers! Guess the hoarders gobbled up ML components as well.
Call around to Walmart, ml season just finished up-- seasonal closeout sales are comming-- I bought mine for $230.

I'd use bh209 powder of you can get some.

Where are you located in co?

Our Walmart hasn't had anything associated to ML for 2 yrs now and we can't even find the bh209 you suggested or i am not looking in the correct places

I am in Cortez, SW corner of the state. We are 35 miles from the 4 corners

Sorry about availability in your area-- I'm close to come springs-- there ate plenty of ml rifles still on the shelves here (until they discount them, then they go fast)

Early in the season you can find bh209 at my local Walmart stores-- otherwise I usually watch sportsmans warehouse inventory for when it's in stock.

You will probably need to put your name In on the online "wait lists" and buy as soon as you get notified