Going for it with a Remington 300 RUM.

badger40

I put a Sendero on lay away this past weekend. Now i am wondering if its going to be to much gun for learning to shoot long range. I have been looking at them for the past 2 years and decided to go ahead and go for it. I will need to outfit it with a scope, muzzel brake and recoil pad. I would love to hear any advise or comments on this gun. Thank's

"too much gun" is highly subjective

In relative terms, a good muzzle brake such as Holland or CSR will tame the recoil nicely.

On the other hand, there are also a lot of other cartridges that are less expensive to shoot.

-- richard

I know it is a powder burner and that is why i waited so long. I just can't help it! it seems like it will be a flat shooting powerhouse! I noticed that Swarovski has marked the z3 scope down until December. Although it is still $1,000. Any advise on scopes?

why are those features important? I am feeling like i should just learn to shoot a lot better and then get the tech scope.

why are those features important? I am feeling like i should just learn to shoot a lot better and then get the tech scope.

They aren't that important!

If you load your own you can start with lighter loads with lighter bullets to get used to things and for break in and learning all about tuning the load and developing drop charts.

You won't need a muzzle brake until you start exceeding '06 factory 150 grain bullet ballistics. That's said as I'm a recoil wimp:). I shoot prone exclusively and really like my collar bone the way it is.:rolleyes:

Regarding the scope.

The reticle is a very personal decision. For me, Mils are too big. 1 mil = 3.6" @ 100.

1 MOA marks are better "for me". 1 moa - 1.047" @ 100. Close enough to 1" for my shooting.

The sucky thing is that Mil dot reticle scopes usually have MOA clicks on the turrets. What's with that?

My fave scope is Mil reticle and MOA or Inches Per Hundred Yards (IPHY) I'm not exactly sure which. Plus they are !/8th MOA or IPHY. DUH!!

I've held over, held under, held on, clicked elevation, clicked windage until my brain is mush!!

I've settled on a scope with an MOA reticle and MOA turrets. 1/4 Minute clicks and 1/2 MOA marks on the reticle.

I click for elevation and hold off for windage. The windage marks are at 1 MOA. Descerning partial MOA hold off for windage seems quite natural, for me.

Start off slower than faster and you'll enjoy life better.

I'd recommend a "grind to fit" Limbsaver recoil pad. When ground to fit DO NOT remove any from the rear side tapering the sides and top to fit the stock. This makes for a large surface area against your shoulder. This in and of it self will greately reduce the need for a muzzle brake. What the brake brings to the party as much as felt recoil reduction is the ability to spot your own shots. Darn good feature.

When It comes times for "good" 1k yard scope you'll be paying nearly as much as or even more than was ponyed up for the rifle.

Shop around for a starter scope that will get you to more than 500 yds if you need to cut a corner up front. Then start learning and saving for the next level scope.

Mostly have fun and shoot.....

Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps tons! Thank you. I am going to save it and put it in my new shooting journal. Best wishes and thank's again!

I think its an excellent choice... After lurking around here for a long time now that is what I decided to go with, and couldnt be happier. I ordered the gun from my friend who is a ffl dealer and before I shot it I sent it to Jim See of CSR. He put a 3 port muscle break on it and did epoxy bed, adjusted trigger, laped the lugs, and mounted my new greybull scope on it. I got it back in THREE weeks and now after working up a load with 200g accubonds and installing my custom turret from greybull I am shooting 6x7 brick pavers at 800yds. I just completed the rifle and load in mid september so have not had too much trigger time but I am very impressed with my LR combo thus far. I am soooo hooked on LR shooting, thats all I want to do. :D Oh, I would like to give a shout out to Jim See of CSR and Don Ward of Greybull, they have been lots of help getting me started. Good luck

Did you have that work done on a Sendero? Can you give me a ballpark estimate on how much it is going to cost to get similar results? My budget is tight. I find it amazing that 800 yard shots on pavers can happen. I would love to be able to shoot like that!

Did you have that work done on a Sendero? Can you give me a ballpark estimate on how much it is going to cost to get similar results? My budget is tight. I find it amazing that 800 yard shots on pavers can happen. I would love to be able to shoot like that!

Yes, the gun had the work done to it before I shot it. I have $1750 in the gun with work and $1179 in the scope.

I have an HS precision 300RUM with a removable muzzle break. With break off, rifle kicks snot out of you, but for me it's manageable, with the break on, I shot a SAKO 300 win mag , then immediately shot my ultra mag with the break on, the SAKO kicks a lot harder than my ultra mag with break.
Have fun , you are correct, the 300RUM is a "flat shooting powerhouse".
Both rifles were shooting a 180 gr. bullet

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.