Going Cow Hunting

bootsking

Well I got our cow hunt booked in Northern NM for December. I really would like to shoot my 6.5x47 "tactical" rifle which is pin-point accurate. I push the 140gr Berger Hunt VLD at 2900 fps, which is really close to what I see a lot of 30-06 150gr bullets run. The smaller caliber has a better sectional density for penetration, at which point the VLD will do it's job. Only found a couple of reports but all gave great results, even at longer ranges than I plan (500 yd max). What say you?

Well I got our cow hunt booked in Northern NM for December. I really would like to shoot my 6.5x47 "tactical" rifle which is pin-point accurate. I push the 140gr Berger Hunt VLD at 2900 fps, which is really close to what I see a lot of 30-06 150gr bullets run. The smaller caliber has a better sectional density for penetration, at which point the VLD will do it's job. Only found a couple of reports but all gave great results, even at longer ranges than I plan (500 yd max). What say you?

You r fine dude!!! Just put the bullet in the right place and it will be great!!!!

Congratulations on your Cow tag:

What part of Northern NM

Going to Unit 4 on a private range. Cow hunts are reasonable cost, and I need to stock the freezer. I plan to go back to Co next year for another bull during the migration. This will be the first elk hunt for my two partners, and I will not be surprised if they want to bull next year too.

Quite a few guys in UT killed elk out to 900 yards with the little 6.5's last year using the 140 grain Bergers. With your velocity and that bullet I would feel very confident in the bullet having the ability to kill that cow at 900 no problem when a good shot is made.

I like the feedback on the 6.5! While I would not shoot an elk this far, it has done great out to 1200 yards on steel targets. Going to have some fun with it early June in a precision rifle course at Academi (formerly Blackwater); lucky to schedule this because it's my wife's birthday and she will come with me, staying with her sister for a visit. Sometimes things just fall into line.

Bootsking,
I hunt unit 4 on a private ranch. It is out of Chama, NM. Would you care to reveal the outfitter or Ranch name? We might be hunting together !!
My guide's twin sons both use 7mm-08 for their Elk hunting, never had a problem. You should be fine with your weapon !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts