Going 308, which one?

midgetorama32

I have decided on a 308 for my next gun. I just don't know which one. My budget will allow for the following I think:

1. Remington 5R MilSpec. Read a lot of positive reviews on these and apparently there is sub 0.5 MOA potential out of the box and easily upgraded to a DM system. High quality stock too.

2. DPMS 24" Bull AR-10. It looks like this has 0.5 MOA potential as well. The semi-auto "black rifle" has always appealed to me.

3. Semi-custom Savage build. Drop in Barrel from McGowan or Shilen, Duramaxx Stock, Donor Action and CDI precision DM magazine system potential.

What would be the best shooter out of the three? I am thinking 800 yards would be my max distance with 175 gr SMK's.

Thanks for any advice.

What use? If you're going to be packing it, I'd quickly rule out #2. And I don't know that you can expect .5 MOA with the standard DPMS barrel. Maybe you could with a custom barrel, but even then...

I really don't know what the long range potential is of the DPMS. Either the 5-R or the Savage should do the job. I've got the 5-R and I love it, one of the best purchases I ever made. I would say to find the one that fits you best.

Sub-MOA is very possible with a box-stock Savage. I have a 16FSS in .308 that will shoot so well now that the original bad barrel was replaced by Savage, I have no need to spend more money on an aftermarket barrel. Groups with ammo it likes average 5/8's inch. I doubt I could do much better with a custom barrel. Some seem to prefer longer target barrels to add velocity, my feelings are in this case, perhaps a .308 is not the ideal caliber if this is needed. I've sighted three Stevens model 200's for friends, all went under an inch for five shots with factory Remington Cor-Loks! I'd go with the Savage action!

Last edited:
I have a bunch of .308's most with 26" barrels. I recently got an ltr and I haven't used any of the others since. Yes you lose some fps but man is the gun light for packing and extremely accurate. You can now get the gun in stainless(i think its an xcr tactical or something). You can really whip this thing out of an elberestock pack and whip it around in the brush. Just a thought.

i vote savage, theyre are prone to excellent accuracy out of the box

im doing a savage build very similar to yours very soon. i think im going with a manners T2 stock though, hope its not too heavy

All of the 308's are good choices. I too think it comes down to what you are using it for.

1. Remington Mil-spec 5R - all those good reviews can't be wrong. I have even been tempted myself.

2. DPMS - I will agree with one of the other posters that it depends on the barrel. I have a Krieger on mine and it will shoot .5MOA with the right load. This barrel has impressed me enough that I am looking at them for other builds. The triggers on these stink, so I would look at getting an aftermarket trigger. I will warn you that this thing is heavy and for me sits on the bench or on the ground. I ain't packing this monster.

3. Savage - I like your setup idea. I will say though that an out of the box Savage is pretty accurate. I had the chance to work with 2 this year, a 22-250 in the 12FVSS platform and a 110 in 7mm RM that I wend on to do a bedding job and trigger change to a Timney. These have been very impressive. The 22-250 easily shoots around .5 MOA. It is good enough that I will not mess with it. If you go through with this build, go with the Shilen barrel. I have been more impressed with them.

I would probably go with the Rem 700 if it were me.

I have owned and shot all 3.

The 5r will bust apples at 400 but a little heavy for stalking deer and lugging up trees.

The dpms i had was a 16" and very accurate,.05 at 100 ,but fed terrible.
I tried many different brands of factory ammo but always failed to feed every mag.

The savages are great for the price,most are sub moa,and I love the accu-trigger I have the model 10 precision carbine and it seems to be a keeper.

good luck

I'm going to have to go with the Savage action. I own two of them and have shot four different Savages with the Accu-Trigger. All shoot well under sub MOA with factory tubes. I have one target that I shot a .25" group at 100yrds. I can regularly shoot a .75" or less group depending on the day and my patience!:D

One of the four I have shot prints .5MOA all day. It is a 32" Douglas heavy barrel on a Savage Target action in .338 Lapua. First 3 shot group at 1050 yards measured 5 inches. Hain't to shabby!!!

Tank

Last edited:
i vote savage, theyre are prone to excellent accuracy out of the box

im doing a savage build very similar to yours very soon. i think im going with a manners T2 stock though, hope its not too heavy

+1 savages are a hell of a deal for a out of the box rifle. the new one that have come in the last few years have a lot of higher end parts and shoot great. they have did there home work on what people want and put it in there rifles. they are coming out with a new long range rifle this coming year. i love my savages 223,243,308,30-06AI,300wsm,300rum,338edge and they all shoot under .5"

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.