goin cheap

300 HART

ok yall i thought about goin alot cheaper here and savin some money.
im thinkin of gettin the tc venture or just the icon in 308. witch one would yall go with?
im puttin a nikon 4-16 50mm bdc scope on it
for huntin from 50 out to 500 yards
yall think the nikon bdc will work ok at that range with the 308?
and what do ya think about the guns?

I don't know much about the scope, but I'm sure that it will work great. The T/C bolt guns have had good reviews. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you aren't considering the Remmys or the Savage line. The senderos are nice and Savage has a nice long range hunter model. The reason I'm saying this is, these guns offer more options as far as aftermarket items and accessories.

i like remington its just that my brother has one and i wanted something different .
i was lookin a a cheap kinda beater rifle that i could still shot a good ways.
the savage idk i was lookin at the long range hunter.
dont know much about it.
and when i just kept lookin at the icon it just looked like a really nice gun and i always wanted one with a laminated stuck.
but then again i wouldnt be cheap or a beater rifle for the harsh think places i hunt in some areas.

i like remington its just that my brother has one and i wanted something different .
i was lookin a a cheap kinda beater rifle that i could still shot a good ways.
the savage idk i was lookin at the long range hunter.
dont know much about it.
and when i just kept lookin at the icon it just looked like a really nice gun and i always wanted one with a laminated stuck.
but then again i wouldnt be cheap or a beater rifle for the harsh think places i hunt in some areas.

I think you would be a lot better off with some other scope. i had the Nikon bdc on two scopes and the O's cover up way to much of your target as did the + hair's. plus with the 0's you don't have a real good aiming point. Sold both of mine. I like other Nikon's but not the BDC. i think you'd be better off with something like a Burris, or Bushnell doa. still some great prices to be had. As far as savage goes they're really hard to bet for the money. You would also be able to do a lot more with a savage down the road and a lot cheaper and ezer to. not saying the tc is a bad rifle are anything like that. Good Luck

For me I would seek out a Savage with Accu-Stock for a good starting point in a new rifle. Easy to upgrade to different calibers yourself, loads of accessories and more all the time and fantastic out of the box accuracy vs. anything else in their price range. Less gunsmith work required to make them shoot lights out as a rule too.

You can't go wrong with Leupold. They have very good glass and have proven reliable. I just don't get to amped over them anymore because there are so many other options out there that work just as well if not better for the same amount of money or less. I am a big fan of the Nikon Buckmaster series. Again affordability is the driving force for me. But if you can afford German optics, that just puts you ahead of the game.

Tank

You can purchase a savage with the accustock for about 580 street price. You can then buy a stainless select match stainless for $315. headspace guage in the caliber you choose.
For shorter range here is a good piece of glass. Look for a shot show sample they are out there right now.
Horus Vision : System 5
This is a much better rangefinding reticle for not alot of money. I shoot nikon myself but next glass will have the reticle made by Horus Vision. Alot of people don't like FFP reticles, I'm not one of them. Both have advatages and disadvantages. For range finding FFP with this type of system once learned will be very precise if you lost power for a pda or laser you will still be able accurately range targets.
2nd focal plane reticle systems have some merit if you can use them at all power settings to range. Huskamaw and the Grey bull Leo's are two examples. I don't have any experience with the other brands range finding reticles so I cannot comment.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.