Gobbler with hens, any advice?

Groot

As the title says, does anyone have any advice for how to work birds in the spring when the gobblers are henned up. My better half and I went out this morning and were able to get on some birds, a decent amount of birds but the gobbler was with hens and didn't want much to do with us, as expected. We tried circling around and getting in front of their path a couple times to no success...
Does anyone have any advice on how to work a gobbler away from hens or how to work the hens in by calls?

As the title says, does anyone have any advice for how to work birds in the spring when the gobblers are henned up. My better half and I went out this morning and were able to get on some birds, a decent amount of birds but the gobbler was with hens and didn't want much to do with us, as expected. We tried circling around and getting in front of their path a couple times to no success...
Does anyone have any advice on how to work a gobbler away from hens or how to work the hens in by calls?
Split them up first then let things settle down then call. David

Do exactly what you did in trying to get in front of them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The other alternative is to note the direction they went in and wait until the hens go to nest. Usually, midmorning the gobblers will begin roaming alone and they become very prone to be called in. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Usually by mid morning the hens are headed off to check their nest . That's when the gobblers get lonesome. Also circling around and trying to cut them off sometimes works . But there needs to be an aggressive hen with the gobbler for that to work . Sometimes. At that point you're not calling the gobbler in your calling the boss hen in and he'll more than likely follow . Again sometimes . Turkey hunting will cause you to pull your hair out what may work today may not tomorrow.
I've found that when the boys all have ladies if you know from scouting where the ladies are going just go there and wait patiently. No calling just be a still as possible . If those hens hear another hen and they're not an aggressive hen they will lead said gobbler in another direction. They don't like competition

Take a nap. Noon to 2 PM be back in your original spot where you tried to call him in. He'll be back....
What he said, if they are with a hen in the AM wait it out. By the afternoon he will get curious. Find a good comfortable spot to take a nap and then start calling. Chances are he won't gobble but will come check out your call so be ready.

I have put out " jake" decoys and used a "higher pitched gobble" using constant duration with success.
Also, I have a large "Boss Gobbler" decoy; this then becomes a territorial issue with the bird you are trying to convince to fight. Sometimes they will come in to fight ...sometimes they will not. When using these type of tools you would be wise to insure your safety from other hunters who may be impatient. Ask me how I know.

I agree with all of the above.

id also try a Jake decoy with a fan, sometimes it gets them ****ed off enough to come in for a fight

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to have to try out some of these tactics. I've tried some of them but I've never just hung out till late morning/early afternoon I've always just went to try and find other birds. And I've never tried any decoys just bc of carrying them around.

how many of you use decoys? Are they really worth it?

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to have to try out some of these tactics. I've tried some of them but I've never just hung out till late morning/early afternoon I've always just went to try and find other birds. And I've never tried any decoys just bc of carrying them around.

I keep a fold up Hen in my vest. It's easy to carry around and easy to set up when you don't want to pack in decoys. Usually this decoy will cause a Tom to focus its attention on something other than you, allowing you to adjust and get off a clean shot. Pay attention to the color of a Tom's head, if it's a solid red color they are looking for a fight. I carry a tail fan from a previous hunt to help out with this.

Get a strutter decoy with a real fan, or even just a fan by itself. Be stealthy, yet aggressive, get as close to them as you can, hold the fan up and crawl in until they can see you. You might also need to do some aggressive purrs or gobble. Once the gobbler sees you and you're close enough, he'll break off those hens and die.

Last edited:
As other have said. best bet is mid afternoon, use a tom decoy and aggressive calling. Stay alert as he may come silent.

Some success with decoys on the edge of fields, but rarely when in the woods. I like the idea of them looking for the hen when in the woods.

Yeah, mid to late morning I find is when I bag most of my turkeys.

By the way, a great series of pure turkey educational info can be found on YouTube by Matt Dale Outdoors. Best I have seen and will answer any question you may have.

One Jake and one hen will do it. The jake and (usually) causes the attention. Some times the Boss Tom will walk in right behind you to insure everything is safe, you wont be able to see him. Sit, wait. I would not walk around. Its their territory they see, hear and know it all.