Goat Hunting in the Crazy Mountains of Montana

BRNG525

gun)After 24 years of applying I finally drew the tag that is #1 on my bucket list a Rocky Mountain goat tag. Unfortunately I live in the Bitterroot Mountains and have been applying there for the last 23 years with no luck. The population of goats in the Bitterroot range have taken a turn for the worse in the last decade or so and the tag situation is almost non-existent. This year I decided to go for the Crazy Mountain tags as the odds are a little better to draw at just about 3%. Low and behold I drew the tag and now I am looking for any information that I can get on where to hunt in these beautiful mountains. Any information great or small that you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I have never been to the crazy mountains so even just a starting point for a good trail to start hiking in and looking for goats is great. I will be rifle hunting and will more than likely be hoofing it on foot! I am also looking for a guide or outfitter that might be interested in just packing me in and out as well. Thanks for taking the time to look at my post. Have a great day.....

My daughter lives near the "Crazies" & I am going there for the 4th of July. I will do some research while visiting. Congrats on the tag!!!!
Thanks, Kirk

Congrats on your goat tag, My best friend is one of the outfitters there in the Crazies. He is one hell of a hunter, and can help you. I can pm you his info. I am not sure how this works but he and I both drew goat and bighorn sheep tags this year for the exact same area south of the Crazies. O bar lazy E is his business, don't let the name fool you there is nothing lazy about this guy, that is his brand which looks like a key.

What the heck, I've got a theory on how you guys pulled those tags but I don't want to post it up on a family forum :D

I don't want to steel the thunder of the original post but I am still dumb struck!
Friend calls me and told me of his success, I was amazed at his luck! Then he checked my drawing status, I was sure he was really messing with me!
Nope paperwork is in hand! Looks like we will be goat hunting and sheep hunting in the same area!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.