Go west young man...

WY has such a reputation for being windy - all the time - IDK if that's warranted but it's certainly a negative factor for me. The great hunting as a resident just might not be enough for me to survive my wife's disdain. I've looked at the Cody and Sheridan areas there or down by Medicine Bow NF.

I'm a native bred and born Wyoming fella. I've been to pretty much every corner of this state and most of the nooks and crannies. Your statement on wind is fair however, it is highly dependent on where in the state you are. I was born in Sheridan, moved to Gillette +25yrs ago; the wind rarely blows in Sheridan. However, Sheridan is becoming more and more liberal.... So much so, a lot of my good friends and relative are leaving. The common lore is that the Billionaires have pushed the millionaires out of Jackson and the Millionaires are moving into the Sheridan area. The Cody area is flat out awesome, I'd move there tomorrow if a guy could make the same living we're afforded here. One of our LRH forum members here lives across the Big Horns from me, from what our discussion lead me to believe, he doesn't see much for wind either.... At least compared to my area. BTW, the wind is 35-40mph today lol For what you want, I'd take a VERY hard look at the Buffalo area.

IMHO Wyoming has two Unbeatable facts going for it. First, I can drive for 30mins in any given direction and be in the absolute middle of nowhere. That fact is driven by fact #2. Wyoming is seventh (IIRC) in size in the US and dead last in population.... hallelujah.

Grand Junction is also a great place. Basically what Colorado used to be. Western Colorado is about the last vestige of conservative values. However, Denver controls the state. What they say, usually goes; like it or not. JMHO

t

Last edited:
Alaska! Its truly amazing.....

RC, about a lifetime ago, I used to own a fairly big archery pro shop here and went to several trade shows where I got to speak with Chuck Adams for a few minutes. By the time we were done, I was dying to get to Kodiak to hunt Sitka Blacktails. We had a guy from the shop that also went to the interior in AK and shot a 60" moose on an unguided drop float trip. I thought wow, I'd love AK. I think overall though, it might be better to visit than to live there for me. (But I am jealous)

I'm also a Pittsburgher (Cranberry) looking to move out west when my daughter is done with HS (~5 years). I currently telecommute in the IT field, so I just need a good Internet connection.

I'm currently leaning towards Bozeman, MT area since it has a little bit of everything I want--mountains, hunting, shopping, airport, etc. Likely 2nd on the list is somewhere in the greater Denver area, mostly due to the potential employment opportunities if they would ever be needed. This could include Laramie, WY.

Lots can happen between now and then and I plan to spend time each year exploring and hunting to better know what I've getting myself into...

-David

Congrats on the possible move. We had a very similar decision a few years ago. Fortunately, I've lived out West my whole life and knew the options better. However, I still had to pick which state, and had many of the same thoughts and concerns as you. I've hunted in MT with my brother quite a bit (and visited), and I like the long seasons, but most hunting doesn't seem better, often it seems more crowded, with seemingly less public land in a lot of the parts of the state. He is certainly colder, and windier, and cloudier, but that varies by area. I also didn't enjoy the "looking over my shoulder" aspect of hunting in Griz country, and the wolves have hurt herd sizes and impacted hunting in some parts.

I've also lived in AZ for years, while in the Service. Loved it, and great hunting, but as noted, hard to draw tags. Enjoyed the warmth there, and to be honest, it made me a little less willing to "freeze" 6-months of the year up North in some beautiful mountain town. To each his own, but it sounds like your wife isn't into that either. As mentioned, some places like Grand Junction (and Durango, etc. some) in the West, and Canon City and SE CO in the East are really fairly desert-like. You won't like some of 'em if you need lots of green everywhere, but if you want big mountains close and sun and not freezing, they are pretty nice. Mild winters, usually still getting into/near the 50s much of the winter, a few snows a year and the snow usually melts off in a day or two, and tons of sun (more than most states further North). A calm, sunny 50 degree day in Feb, with low CO humidity is darn nice.

As Outlaw pointed out above, parts of WY may be worth looking at if you can find less windy pockets, I'm sure they are there. Just driving to/from MT through WY brings a whole new definition to windy. Nearly constant, and if the West wind ever dies briefly, and you're driving N/S like I-25 through WY, then hope you don't crash, since you've probably been holding 20 degrees of steering into the wind for the last hour, just to stay on the road :)

Most of Colorado is conservative, but as noted earlier, like many states, the metro areas (Denver/Boulder area) with a bunch of liberals now outnumber country folk enough to control state laws some. Hasn't seemed to affect country life much yet, but one has to wonder what may happen in 10-20 years - hope not.

Most of Colorado is conservative, but as noted earlier, like many states, the metro areas (Denver/Boulder area) with a bunch of liberals now outnumber country folk enough to control state laws some. Hasn't seemed to affect country life much yet, but one has to wonder what may happen in 10-20 years - hope not.

Yeah it's every city anymore. Pittsburgh is tacking so hard to the left right now it's amazing, especially after PA flipped last election for DJT. It's so overwhelmingly liberal, yesterday we were celebrating the fact that city employees now get free "gender affirmation surgery". I just shake my head and count the days I can get out of here.

So those of you who are in the west, do you live in/near town or along a river valley, etc., or are you in the mountains backed up to a NF or BLM, and what are the up and down sides of your situation?

So those of you who are in the west, do you live in/near town or along a river valley, etc., or are you in the mountains backed up to a NF or BLM, and what are the up and down sides of your situation?

I'm 20 minutes outside of Colorado Springs on the side of Pikes Peak. I'm backed up to National Forest. We have many black bears bears and some mule deer, but I'm not in a very good unit for elk hunting. I need to be close to a major city for work and some hobbies, but I want to be in the middle of nowhere. My place is a good compromise. The front slope is more liberal than a lot of the west, but it fits my libertarian politics well.

The biggest problem I have with Colorado is the lack of water. I'm from Michigan, and I grew up on a river. I'd like my future children to have the same opportunity.

I'm 20 minutes outside of Colorado Springs on the side of Pikes Peak. I'm backed up to National Forest. We have many black bears bears and some mule deer, but I'm not in a very good unit for elk hunting. I need to be close to a major city for work and some hobbies, but I want to be in the middle of nowhere. My place is a good compromise. The front slope is more liberal than a lot of the west, but it fits my libertarian politics well.

The biggest problem I have with Colorado is the lack of water. I'm from Michigan, and I grew up on a river. I'd like my future children to have the same opportunity.

That was kind of my feeling. There is only one company in CO that is in my business. It's in Pueblo, which means if I could get a job there, I'd be in a less than optimal hunting location.

Actually no, good deer and elk hunting starts within 30 minutes of Pueblo, or closer. Good antelope hunting just out of city limits. One of the mildest climates in the state and the Arkansas river runs right through it. Town itself isn't pretty, but very pretty country/mountains within 20 minutes.

Some of the best trophy elk and deer hunting in state within an hour.

Nothing to see in Idaho. nobody lives there. no affordable housing close to prime hunting and fishing. stay far away.. :rolleyes:
In all seriousness though, affordable property can be had all along the snake river with excellent hunting and fishing opportunities all around the state. good over the counter tags available with some pretty incredible draw hunts that arent impossible to draw on as well.

Nothing to see in Idaho. nobody lives there. no affordable housing close to prime hunting and fishing. stay far away.. :rolleyes:
In all seriousness though, affordable property can be had all along the snake river with excellent hunting and fishing opportunities all around the state. good over the counter tags available with some pretty incredible draw hunts that arent impossible to draw on as well.

Spaz, I didn't eliminate ID at this point for no other reason than it's an extra day further drive from my home here in Pittsburgh than CO. If I can't find a suitable location in CO, WY or MT, ID is still in play. Gotta start somewhere.

Aspen, that's good to know. I'd be fine if I could live within 30-40 minutes away from work and have shot at picking up a deer around home. I am somewhat specialized, so just because they are there doesn't mean they would have a position for me. I could go in a different direction jobwise, but I do sort of like what I do.

For example, Rye, CO, 30 minutes from Pueblo.

rye01[1].jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.