Go To Long Range Bullet

They've let me down big-time last season.
Shot my bull three times, two were failures
Would be interested to hear a few more details, twist, velocity, range, and how did they fail? And also, had you done anything to the bullets or just shoot them out of the box? Myself and my family/friends kill a lot of things with Bergers (roughly 15-20 big game a year), so when I hear of a failure I want to know what happened so I can do my best to prevent it from happening to me....

Published BC's aren't reliable from inside resources.

Does Litz still have annual publication of bullet BC, SD? If so, are these included?

He does still publish BCs but thus far my kestrel has been 100% with Hornady's G7 of .401 for my 180gr ELD-M. Like i've been astounded if i'm being honest. The elevation has been perfect on the three deer i've killed. Granted it's been within 600yds but usually my ballistic solutions are always a 1/10th or two off and high most of the time. AB lite specifically with Litz BCs has always been high with three different rifles. This time not so it has been perfect.

I know i'm loving the advancements that optic companies are making connecting RF binocs to the kestrel and having a firing solution on hand instantaneously to getting the range. The new Leica 3200.com will connect to the kestrel 5700 and an apple watch with their app. That is likely my next purchase considering my Kilo 3000s have crapped out on me twice.

Hammers are built to shed the petals to create massive cavitation and then the remaining portion of bullet penetrate deeply with flat front for maximum tissue damage. Based on research found here: http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

Amazingly easy to load. Easiest bullets I've ever used to fine tune and get a great shooting load.
And they can be loaded to lead core bullet pressures and velocities . Steve recommends using Nosler data. :) Don't try that with Barnes...

Hammers are the result of a lot of testing over time to find the "goldilocks" copper alloy, the right size hollow point and construction to meet design parameters. They are not just another mono bullet.

A lot of deer are shot here in bow range how are they at close range?
Shot my whitetail buck at 50 yds out of a tree stand this year. 124 HH out of a 6.5x47. Immediate death! Multiple petal exits and the base also completely exited on the offside after blowing apart the shoulder elbow joint. Bone fragments everywhere. More meat damage than I expected but I think lots was due to bone fragments. Bow range is fine from what I seen.

Would be interested to hear a few more details, twist, velocity, range, and how did they fail? And also, had you done anything to the bullets or just shoot them out of the box? Myself and my family/friends kill a lot of things with Bergers (roughly 15-20 big game a year), so when I hear of a failure I want to know what happened so I can do my best to prevent it from happening to me....
That's very unfortunate, how far was the shot???
Thought I'd respond to you both at once.
My bull was just shy of 700 yards, the first shot was slightly quartered away so I put it right behind the lungs. That bullet fragmented to bits on the ribs and only penetrated a few inches.
Shot 2 was taken as the bull started turning and I hit him right at the neck shoulder junction, the bullet passed through without expanding and actually clipped a vertebrae, exit hole was pretty much .308.
After that he ran off into the timber, and luckily I spotted him about 15 minutes later in a small opening at 650 yards.
I sent one right behind the shoulder and it put him down with pretty good expansion, although explosive.. I couldn't see anything but fragments of lead and jacket.
I don't drill out tips, maybe that would have kept the one from pencilling. Who knows though it might have gotten smashed shut from recoil in the mag..
What I found even more disturbing last season was watching a guy shoot a bull center shoulder with a 300 EH from a Lapua improved at 800 yards, that bullet blew apart and failed to make it through the shoulder.
He tracked him 2 miles the next day and got him.
I saw the pics of the shoulder when I met him at our trucks that evening, pretty bad.
After these experiences I'll be hunting with bonded bullets or monos only

My bull was just shy of 700 yards, the first shot was slightly quartered away so I put it right behind the lungs. That bullet fragmented to bits on the ribs and only penetrated a few inches.
Shot 2 was taken as the bull started turning and I hit him right at the neck shoulder junction, the bullet passed through without expanding and actually clipped a vertebrae, exit hole was pretty much .308.
After that he ran off into the timber, and luckily I spotted him about 15 minutes later in a small opening at 650 yards.
I sent one right behind the shoulder and it put him down with pretty good expansion, although explosive.. I couldn't see anything but fragments of lead and jacket.
I don't drill out tips, maybe that would have kept the one from pencilling. Who knows though it might have gotten smashed shut from recoil in the mag..
What I found even more disturbing last season was watching a guy shoot a bull center shoulder with a 300 EH from a Lapua improved at 800 yards, that bullet blew apart and failed to make it through the shoulder.
I saw the pics of the shoulder when I met him at our trucks that evening, pretty bad.
How many rounds were down your barrel at the time?

Man I would have never thought a 215 hybrid would "pencil through". I've had great luck with mine, probably killed about 10-12 elk with them the last five or so years. Im also experimenting with some bonded bullets. Swift, TLR's and hammers)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts