Go to items for new shooter to buy?

There is nothing worse than a range trip that gets spoiled because you forgot one item.
THIS! BT, DT.

I bought one of these rangefinders and I've happy with it in the limited use that I've had of it so far:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B94Q4JH/?tag=lrhmag19-20

A good one piece cleaning rod (to me that means Dewey) and a cleaning guide are important. I prefer to use brass pointed or Parker-Hale style jags. A decent stand to hold the rifle while cleaning is one of those really nice to have things. Mine is an ancient MTM unit that stores on top of a plastic "tool" box intended to hold & organize all of your cleaning supplies.

A good rifle rest and rear bag to shoot off of are nice, but I've done it with a home-brewed rest and a shaped block of wood with some indoor-outdoor carpet glued to them. For a reasonably priced quality short bipod have a look at the Magpul bipod.

I find the hearing protection that fits over the ear to be hindering in shooting from a rest of any sort. I use the foam inserts, but am actively looking for an in-ear that has a high NRR and has electronic filtering. The filtering is the only thing that I miss about my over-ear hearing protection. Much, much easier to hear Range Safety Officer commands with those than it is with the in-ear protection.

THIS! BT, DT.

I bought one of these rangefinders and I've happy with it in the limited use that I've had of it so far:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B94Q4JH/?tag=lrhmag19-20

A good one piece cleaning rod (to me that means Dewey) and a cleaning guide are important. I prefer to use brass pointed or Parker-Hale style jags. A decent stand to hold the rifle while cleaning is one of those really nice to have things. Mine is an ancient MTM unit that stores on top of a plastic "tool" box intended to hold & organize all of your cleaning supplies.

A good rifle rest and rear bag to shoot off of are nice, but I've done it with a home-brewed rest and a shaped block of wood with some indoor-outdoor carpet glued to them. For a reasonably priced quality short bipod have a look at the Magpul bipod.

I find the hearing protection that fits over the ear to be hindering in shooting from a rest of any sort. I use the foam inserts, but am actively looking for an in-ear that has a high NRR and has electronic filtering. The filtering is the only thing that I miss about my over-ear hearing protection. Much, much easier to hear Range Safety Officer commands with those than it is with the in-ear protection.
Yeah i would like to get an electronic hearing protection in the futurebut ill still to my foam plugs for the time being

A new barrel and good gun smith ,and reload,spotting scope,may,bags,never leave hat at home with ammunition and bolt.try and find a local range and learn from the members they will be glad you asked
Yes I will get a new barrel when the current one is shot out don't have the fund for that right now?.

Here is what is in my gear bag (obviously not the sling or case) so I know I have them every time

Eye protection, and backup
Ear protection
Gun cleaning gear
Ammo boxes
Sling
Case for rifle
Pre-printed paper targets
different colored markers for paper targets
Roll of tape for paper targets
Binoculars or spotting scope
Tools to adjust/tighten sights/rings
Can with lid, or ziplock bag, for spent brass
A clean rag

Here is what is in my gear bag (obviously not the sling or case) so I know I have them every time

Eye protection, and backup
Ear protection
Gun cleaning gear
Ammo boxes
Sling
Case for rifle
Pre-printed paper targets
different colored markers for paper targets
Roll of tape for paper targets
Binoculars or spotting scope
Tools to adjust/tighten sights/rings
Can with lid, or ziplock bag, for spent brass
A clean rag
Do you buy or print targets

I make my own targets from 22"x28" poster board at walmart, or 8"x11" computer paper. Such as these for example. Different types for different rifles, scope magnification, and ranges. Poster board makes for very nice holes, and you can have multiple targets to use and save for easy reference. I always keep a master copy of the 8x11" and just print them off at work :) Plus I've always done better with squares vs circles. I HATE circle targets. I find I can easily bracket crosshairs to squares way better than circles. Your results may vary.
20200707_103539.jpg
20200424_131242.jpg
20180113_115604.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this is new shooter advice, but a ballistics solver a big plus. I fought going to a smart phone till 3 yrs ago, shooting apps rule. I use a Kestrel today, and feel it is my most valuable tool in my range bag.
I also feel a comfortable stock is key. I can shoot chassis, hunting style(pistol grips), and A2-5 style, but when I made the switch to Manners from HS Precision stocks, I think I upped my game considerably. Being comfy behind a rifle IMO is top priority.
I shoot expensive scopes today, but have never felt that a scope has made me a better shot, though i did try a Burris XTR II that I can say was a total waste of coin and wish I had just shot the thing instead of selling to some poor unsuspecting fool.

Not sure if this is new shooter advice, but a ballistics solver a big plus. I fought going to a smart phone till 3 yrs ago, shooting apps rule. I use a Kestrel today, and feel it is my most valuable tool in my range bag.
I also feel a comfortable stock is key. I can shoot chassis, hunting style(pistol grips), and A2-5 style, but when I made the switch to Manners from HS Precision stocks, I think I upped my game considerably. Being comfy behind a rifle IMO is top priority.
I shoot expensive scopes today, but have never felt that a scope has made me a better shot, though i did try a Burris XTR II that I can say was a total waste of coin and wish I had just shot the thing instead of selling to some poor unsuspecting fool.
Yeah I would really like to upgrade my factory remington stock but that's not something I can afford at the moment so I'll just do some functional DIY

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.