Go to items for new shooter to buy?

Namibguy

Like the title says I want to know what is in your opinion some the most value things for a new shooter to spend their money on. I recently bought my first rifle for a great price(rem 700 vtr in 223). There are better rifles and models out there but this was the best I could afford. I have a very basic bushnell engage scope and some reloading dies.i friends with a reloading setup that allow me to reload there(ammo costs where I live is very high) . So I'm looking to see what I will be the best thing to save for in the future.

Trigger, optic , stock, rangefinder. Save as much as you can and buy the best you can possibly afford. A Timney can be had for a good price and I personally love them. The market is saturated with decent optics that are pretty feature rich, though they will usually lack optical clarity. Bell and Carlson make great stocks for a really fair price but you could look at KRG if chassis is your cup of tea. And a dependable rangefinder is usually a few hundred $. This is all American based as far as price so if you are abroad then obviously that complicates things a little

Definitely trigger first, then figure out the tracking on your scope. No need to upgrade it if you know what it does. It will take you as far as your. 223 round will do accurately. What I mean is confirm your drops out to 600. Most ballistic apps have a correction factor for scope Calibration errors, and yes, yours will have an error. Not to worry, as long as you know it's there. Shoot and verify. Good luck

Trigger, optic , stock, rangefinder. Save as much as you can and buy the best you can possibly afford. A Timney can be had for a good price and I personally love them. The market is saturated with decent optics that are pretty feature rich, though they will usually lack optical clarity. Bell and Carlson make great stocks for a really fair price but you could look at KRG if chassis is your cup of tea. And a dependable rangefinder is usually a few hundred $. This is all American based as far as price so if you are abroad then obviously that complicates things a little
Triggers are priced ok but things like stocks and scopes are much more expensive

Definitely trigger first, then figure out the tracking on your scope. No need to upgrade it if you know what it does. It will take you as far as your. 223 round will do accurately. What I mean is confirm your drops out to 600. Most ballistic apps have a correction factor for scope Calibration errors, and yes, yours will have an error. Not to worry, as long as you know it's there. Shoot and verify. Good luck
Yeah I don't have any confidence in my scope's tracking so I mostly do hold overs want to still get bullets that are stable to 600 yards

A range bag is a bag that you put ammo, tools, stapler, cleaning chemicals, oil, ear and eye protection and anything else you need for a range trip.

It just let's you be more organized and avoid putting that type of stuff in your gun case with your gun.

There are bags that are specifically made as range bags and there are bags that work well but aren't specifically range bags. Nice ones are typically high denier nylon or waxed canvas. Most of mine wind up like a range purse filled with a bunch of stuff and a lot of it unnecessary on most range days but all of it useful sometimes. That lack of organization on my part leads to digging around in the bag to find what I need.

I need to improve, it would have been better if I got organized in the beginning. Grab and go is the key, then you have to optimize your load out to make your range trips go smoothly. There is nothing worse than a range trip that gets spoiled because you forgot one item.

A range bag is a bag that you put ammo, tools, stapler, cleaning chemicals, oil, ear and eye protection and anything else you need for a range trip.

It just let's you be more organized and avoid putting that type of stuff in your gun case with your gun.

There are bags that are specifically made as range bags and there are bags that work well but aren't specifically range bags. Nice ones are typically high denier nylon or waxed canvas. Most of mine wind up like a range purse filled with a bunch of stuff and a lot of it unnecessary on most range days but all of it useful sometimes. That lack of organization on my part leads to digging around in the bag to find what I need.

I need to improve, it would have been better if I got organized in the beginning. Grab and go is the key, then you have to optimize your load out to make your range trips go smoothly. There is nothing worse than a range trip that gets spoiled because you forgot one item.
Oh I see thanks

Trigger first, then optics if needed. Generally, if on a budget, a stock would come later. There are many things you can do to improve the factory stock like bedding and free floating, even adding padding to cheek rest if needed. Some of these "home improvements" aren't pretty, but are functional. Beauty lies completely within your capabilities.

Trigger first, then optics if needed. Generally, if on a budget, a stock would come later. There are many things you can do to improve the factory stock like bedding and free floating, even adding padding to cheek rest if needed. Some of these "home improvements" aren't pretty, but are functional. Beauty lies completely within your capabilities.
Thanks man

Also: I would assume you would do some measureable amount of shooting from the bench. You will need a GOOD adjustable rifle rest and rear bag(s). Both are fairly inexpensive.
Don't have those atm but i friends I should with that I can borrow from.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.