Go to Boots

Schw15

What boots are your go to for hiking/hunting?

I live in Colorado and work in the mountains so my work is like I'm hunting. I have a terrible time with my feet. I bought custom boots jk boots but boy what a headache so far unfortunately. Need something with high arches built in and comfortable with tough soles.

They are a slightly heavier boot than some people like, but I got Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots a few years ago and they have been great. For me, they have room for my high instep, wide feet, and good arch support. Kind of pricey, but it will take some convincing for me to move onto to something else.

I got the Non Insulated, and can manage cold feet with correct sock choice.

Did they discontinue them? I was thinking they change the design with a different sole? But I have never tried the mountain extreme

They still show them on their website: https://kenetrek.com/products/mountain-extreme-non-insulated-1

I will say catch them on sale! I was able to get them for around $350 from an online retailer. They usually go on sale on multiple web sites later in the year as they clear out stock from the previous year. On Optics Planet, I was able to find them on sale + use a 20% off coupon on top of it, so got a really good price.

If you want to try them on, scheels normally has them in stock if you happen to be near one.

I would definitely try the kenetrek mountain extremes. I have foot problems as well but I have flat feet. I have not had them hurt my feet even on time and I've put a brand new pair on at a trail head and made a 10 mile walk into camp to start my week long hunt. I've tried just about every other boot out there but always come back to kenetrek because they don't hurt my feet but everyone is different.

I would definitely try the kenetrek mountain extremes. I have foot problems as well but I have flat feet. I have not had them hurt my feet even on time and I've put a brand new pair on at a trail head and made a 10 mile walk into camp to start my week long hunt. I've tried just about every other boot out there but always come back to kenetrek because they don't hurt my feet but everyone is different.
I agree everyone's feet are different but thank you for the info

I had the Kennetreks but i went thru 3 pair under warranty until i got some that lasted. They had a tendency to let my ankle roll over. My go- to boots now are LaSportiva and Salewa

Last edited:
I would also check out SCHENEE's in Montana, I have 3 different pairs of their boots and love them all. I also have 3 different pairs of their packs boots and they are like wearing tennis shoes, you don't want to take them off. The 3 pair I have are the BearTooth, Timberline and the Mission V2. All three are hand crafted in ITALY.

For most fall deer and elk hunting in the West, my favorite boot is the Danner Light II. I have worn out 2 pair and am on my third. They feature Gore-Tex and are uninsulated. When the snow flies and the temp drops to single digits, I switch to an older pair of 8" Danner Elk Hunters with Gore-Tex and 400 g Thinsulate.

If I get the opportunity to hunt Dall sheep again, I would get a pair of mountaineering boots. I hunted 10 years ago, and my Danners were a poor choice on the scree and steep slopes where sheep live!

Curious to know what boots wise and experienced sheep hunters use?

I think the Crispy Crossover is a good direction for a little more stiffness for packing and hiking but I don't like mine for a lot of side-hilling or technical/Rocky terrain. When I go hiking/camping, they're perfect. When I go hunting with camp on my back and need to be prepared to haul some weight (75+), they are not stiff enough or as tall as I like. Everyone's a bit different, but mine were comfy right out of the box, cheaper than many other alternates and hit the "tweener" type of boot I was looking for.
Good luck with your search

I have high arches and wear Salomon the sole is good the build is ok. They come with a 2 year warranty and I typically end up filing a warranty and they issue a credit and I order a new pair.

I wear my boots everyday and was having a lot of foot pain but I'm flat footed, no arch at all! A guy at my local outdoor store convinced me to try kenetrek mountain extremes and my feet never hurt. I did however wear the soles out fairly quick. I'm currently wear kenetrek mountain guides and they're holding up well and still no foot pain. I would recommend if possible trying as many as you can on.