Go to 6.5 bullet

My contact at Sierra says there are no solid plans to offer a .25 cal TGK, but he'll keep pushing for one. Maybe next hunting season if we're lucky.
I should call them, I have the CEO's business card from when he was in my country a few years back and I know another there that may be able to push this idea.

I've heard of people using Hornady ELD M projectiles to hunt.
Can anybody comment on their performance and how it differs from the ELDX bullets? I wouldn't have thought to use a Match bullet to hunt but if it works well......
The ELD-Ms perform very similar to the ELD-X bullets. They tend to open a little better at extended ranges though. They open fast and cause massive damage, similar performance to a Berger.

The ELD-Ms perform very similar to the ELD-X bullets. They tend to open a little better at extended ranges though. They open fast and cause massive damage, similar performance to a Berger.

Very interesting. When you say open better at extended ranges, what kind of ranges are you referring to? And I thought that the ELD M s were already kind of grenade-like. Do they need more speed to open compared to the match grade bullets? At least that's what I've heard as I haven't harvested anything with them as of yet.
I wonder why Hornady doesn't promote them for hunting or mixed use like the Berger Hybrids?

Very interesting. When you say open better at extended ranges, what kind of ranges are you referring to? And I thought that the ELD M s were already kind of grenade-like. Do they need more speed to open compared to the match grade bullets? At least that's what I've heard as I haven't harvested anything with them as of yet.
I wonder why Hornady doesn't promote them for hunting or mixed use like the Berger Hybrids?
I have never personally tested both ELD-X and ELD-M side by side on game. We always just shot the ELD-M because it's nearly identical to the old AMAXs we had such great luck with. From everything I have gathered, they will cause more damage at like 700+ yards compared to the ELD-X. They both will have the same affects at shorter ranges, but they say the ELD-M does better at longer ranges. The ELD-M is also available in more bullet weights and has higher BCs compared to equal ELD-X bullets. The ELD-Ms also seem to shoot better and are more consistent than the ELD-X bullets from my experience and research.

I have never personally tested both ELD-X and ELD-M side by side on game. We always just shot the ELD-M because it's nearly identical to the old AMAXs we had such great luck with. From everything I have gathered, they will cause more damage at like 700+ yards compared to the ELD-X. They both will have the same affects at shorter ranges, but they say the ELD-M does better at longer ranges. The ELD-M is also available in more bullet weights and has higher BCs compared to equal ELD-X bullets. The ELD-Ms also seem to shoot better and are more consistent than the ELD-X bullets from my experience and research.

I have a 260 and a 6.5 creedmoor. I shoot hornady 130gr eldm in the 260 and hornady 147gr eldm with the 6.5 creedmoor. I've shot 5 whitetail deer with the 130 eldm and every deer shot either dropped in its tracks or ran less than 50 yards or so. When the deer ran after being shot there was a great blood trail. Exit holes on every deer with the 130gr eldm. Exit holes varied in size. The ranges were from 100 yards out to 250 yards.
I've shot 3 deer with the 147gr eldm 6.5 creedmoor. All three deer dropped in their tracks. Shots ranged from 50 yards out to 300 yards. The deer are middle georgia size deer ranging from 110lbs to 170lbs.

I've never had a chance to use the eldx Ammo just yet. For me the eldm works great.

My 260 has a 20" barrel. My 6.5 creedmoor has a 22" barrel. All my shots were high shoulder shots or just a tad back from high shoulder shots.

I've shot a lot of Hornady eldx and they shoot well for me, what is everyone's go to 6.5 bullet for tiny groups? I've kicked around the sierras and eldm I know they have a few different weights but have never ventured past the eldx. Targets or game doesn't matter. Pick 1 bullet you would try first no matter what 6.5 caliber you tried because it's a forgiving projectile to work a load up with. 1/8 twist
143 x

130 Sierra Game Changer has performed CONSISTANTLY FROM 50-700'. eld-x SUCKS. My experience out to 400 yds with 140 ELD-X had no exit wound or only drill hole, and had every behind shoulder, and chest shot deer run off to be tracked. Was doing cull hunting last yr to test some 6.5 bullets and the Sierra GCer just flat out DRTed everything. Shot over 30 deer on this test hunt. Rancher was happy with our results either way. Wasn't used to a couple of shooters for culling. in the past He has a few Hunters to volunteer but coulndn't hit anything past 300 yrds (kill shots).

We have folks here listing up to 7...let me type again...7... Bullets...the question is pick your best! How can we help each other and all the newbies coming here to rely on us if we spout retirech. Let's limit the answer to what worked BEST for you...and then let the ASKER...decide

Looks like a lot of good choices. A friend of mine played with a savage stealth for a long time and was never satisfied. He tried the 140 Berger in front of h4350 and it was 1 hole groups. Very impressed with his ease of finding a good load with that bullet. Out of curiosity has anyone played with the 130 Sierra gamechanger and if so what we're the results
Sierra hit homerun with this bullet. Shot 130 Gamechanger out of Grendel, 260, 6.5 Creed, and 264WM. Every gun shot sub 1/2" with factory OAL. Never experienced this before. ONE bullet for all purposes in all my 6.5's. Shot hogs and deer with these, Grendel, 260 and Creed, with DRT effect out to 400' with 260.

The 147 ELD-M performance on cow elk has been outstanding from my 6.5 Creedmoor. I am getting 2860 fps from a 26 inch barrel using Peterson large primer brass and R26 powder. 3 elk 250 to 400 yards all DRT. My experience was similar to yours when comparing accuracy of the ELD-M and the ELD-X. In my rifle the 147's shoot in the .2's and .3's and the 143 ELD-X's grouped in the .5's and 6's. I do not have any experience with the ELD-X's on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.