GMU 20 Colorado Late Season Rifle Elk -

TX COWDOC

Drew the tag. Looking for any feedback on the late season rifle hunts in Unit 20.

Thanks

TX COWDOC

I have never hunted it, but have heard great things about the late season hunts there. Seen some nice bulls taken from there in the late season. Good luck!

I killed a deer there with a left over tag. It tested positive for CWD, when they contacted me to give the results, he was concerned if I had consumed any of the meat, and I replied no. He then asked me to donate the meat for further testing, and then told me the entire herd was infected, that is one of the worst areas for CWD, along with all the front range south to Colorado Springs. The Castle Rock area is also very bad. If the deer have it so do the elk.

The entire herd is not infected with CWD there. CWD has spread across a bunch of different units throughout the state, but that doesn't mean that every animal has it. It is a pretty rare disease even though it has spread so much.

The entire herd is not infected with CWD there. CWD has spread across a bunch of different units throughout the state, but that doesn't mean that every animal has it. It is a pretty rare disease even though it has spread so much.

Do you work for Game & Fish? How close do you live from the unit? I was about an hours drive from where I harvested that buck, and that is a direct quote from the department. He stated that is the worst unit on the front range for CWD. I asked a lot of questions while I had him on the phone, and gave a detailed description of the location of the kill.

Last edited:
If the entire herd had CWD, do you think they would still issue licenses? I live very close to the unit, in fact in one of the units you reference. I can tell you that they all do not have CWD and you must have misunderstood what they were saying. And the same goes for elk...if I were hunting unit 20, I would not be concerned about elk having CWD. Sure, some do, but very few. There are some trophy elk that get taken there every year and I can tell you they do not have CWD...

I killed a deer there with a left over tag. It tested positive for CWD, when they contacted me to give the results, he was concerned if I had consumed any of the meat, and I replied no. He then asked me to donate the meat for further testing, and then told me the entire herd was infected, that is one of the worst areas for CWD, along with all the front range south to Colorado Springs. The Castle Rock area is also very bad. If the deer have it so do the elk.

I don't know how long you lived Co but CWD started up in Ft Collins at the wildlife research center. I was living unit 20 when all that was going on (1977 to 1987) and it's been over 30yrs since that happen.

Castle Rock is in unit 104, No CWD and I live south of 104,105 in unit 110 and we are CWD unit and all other units surround unit 110 are not listed as having CWD. Their 5 units that surrounding 104 that are CWD unit

Since DOW merged with Parks person that called you not be DOW officer and question I would of ask if I was living close to 20, how many didn't test positive. You hunted a CWD unit so why be surprised deer tested positive and I'm assuming you did get refund for that tag. DOW does pretty good job in their hunting reg to list game unit that are CWD and on page 15 for details. You might want to read that page as they explain that deer,elk and moose may get CWD.

I hunt CWD unit never had one test positive.

The hunt was in 2005, He told me the Castle Rock area also had a high rate of CWD. I believe he was referring to unit 51 which borders the area. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
It would depend on how much snow and cold is involved. With the shorter days of fall and winter the nights get colder up in the high country so that factors into it too.

So, to answer your question, not necessarily.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.