GLONASS worth the extra dough?

novaman64

So.... Normally use a old compass and topo maps, recently been using my cell phone with offline topo maps as well. Decided to pony up for one of them fancy new shiny GPS units. That being said, plan on using it for hunting, motorcycling (on and offroad), in my UTV and occasionally for use in my truck around town, though most the time I use google maps on my phone (when I have service).

Had narrowed it down to 2 units, the Oregon 600 (found new for $300) and the Montana 600 (found a refurb for $360). Then realized the Montana 600 doesn't have GLONASS. I hunt in some super wooded areas, so not sure if its worth it or not, I know the Oregon does, and the newer Montana 610 does, but seems like those are $500. So is the GLONASS all its cracked up to be?

Also, the size and weight are attractive of the Oregon, but I heard for motorcycle use the USB connection (for all day power) will eventually break off or be hard on the GPS. Only real reason I am still looking at the Montana series is the cradle.

Thoughts or recommendations between these units?

64, didn't have it on the old Garmin but my new one has. I've found the feature makes most tasks a lot faster on the new unit. As far as heavy trees I can't say, but in deep, narrow canyons I've marked water holes easily.

I've been looking for a new unit myself-- I had the old 60CSX and I will be replacing it with a 64s or 64st.

The difference in screen size is .2" I believe but the orientation is vertical. I think the 64 series will fit your needs and it appears to be more rugged.

May I suggest you give the Gamin 64s a look at www.jet.com they have it on sale for $238 and if still available they were offering a coupon for $30 off, price includes S&H so you get a new 64s for $208 TYD. The Garmin 64s has GLONASS.
The 64s is an extremely capable GPS and has a 3 axis compass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.