Glock 20 and Brown Bear

I bought my G20 Glock from Scheel's a few years ago. It came with 3 magazines and night sights also has a HIDTA which stands for High Interval Drug Task agency. Got it for 450 bucks, really good deal I thought. Now I load 165 Grain Leigh bullets in it and it will go all the way through a Bear and any other animal I shoot it with
Ted

That's a pretty subjective statement ! Quote: Now I load 165 Grain Leigh bullets in it and it will go all the way through a Bear and any other animal I shoot it with

What animals do you shoot with it, how big are the bears that you intend/may shoot, from what angle on this hypothetical large bear do you expect a "pass through"? Enquiring minds! 😉 memtb

Ted, I pray you "NEVER" must test that 10mm or those 165's on a large bruin at very close range. Of course, I wouldn't wish that scenario upon you if you were carrying a 470 NE double!

May you kill many elk….with zero bear encounters! memtb

I bought my G20 Glock from Scheel's a few years ago. It came with 3 magazines and night sights also has a HIDTA which stands for High Interval Drug Task agency. Got it for 450 bucks, really good deal I thought. Now I load 165 Grain Leigh bullets in it and it will go all the way through a Bear and any other animal I shoot it with
Ted
Actually,
HIDTA - High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area
High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) program, created by Congress with the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988, provides assistance to Federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies operating in areas determined to be critical drug-trafficking regions of the United States. This grant program is administered by the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP).

I've got semi-auto pistol in 22 LR. It will go thru any stuffed teddy bear I've ever shot, and any other animal I shoot with it. But I don't shoot any other animals with it, larger than feral cats.

I've got semi-auto pistol in 22 LR. It will go thru any stuffed teddy bear I've ever shot, and any other animal I shoot with it. But I don't shoot any other animals with it, larger than feral cats.

Exactly! I was very close to saying something very similar…..but, resisted temptation! memtb

Exactly! I was very close to saying something very similar…..but, resisted temptation! memtb
What I'm reacting to is your quote in your profile specifically. "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel"

In my opinion this goes precisely to the heart of the matter. Why some people continually insist in minimum cartridges for hunting large/dangerous game is way beyond me but then I guess it's their life and they can chance loosing it for some recoil reduction if they want to. That is, of course, if laws or their guide permit it.

Personally... My dangerous game gun for big nasties that can bite or otherwise inflict serious damage, is chambered in 375H&H and I have a smaller version which is a lightweight Model Seven in 350 Rem Mag if weight becomes a critical issue. The G20 I would also carry would hopefully never have to be relied on.

LDHunter, seeing all of these that insist on using the absolute minimum cartridges to hunt big game …..makes me wish I were a guide. However, if they insist upon using this type of cartridge…. they would be required to sign a contract stipulating that…. all shots at game would require a hit or miss verification, the shooter will be responsible for the tracking/recovery of wounded game, the shooter will go after the wounded "dangerous" game unassisted!

On second thought, I wouldn't get any clients…..so, I guess I'll remain unemployed as a guide, 😉 memtb

LDHunter, seeing all of these that insist on using the absolute minimum cartridges to hunt big game …..makes me wish I were a guide. However, if they insist upon using this type of cartridge…. they would be required to sign a contract stipulating that…. all shots at game would require a hit or miss verification, the shooter will be responsible for the tracking/recovery of wounded game, the shooter will go after the wounded "dangerous" game unassisted!
i
On second thought, I wouldn't get any clients…..so, I guess I'll remain unemployed as a guide, 😉 memtb

I don't see anything intimidating about what you'd want clients to sign, long as you have all clients sign it whether using big or small rounds the expectations would need be the same.

Side note, IMO there are way more shots on game blown by the guides inability to stay cool than there are shots blown because of small calibers and or clients that couldn't perform! But...that's a totally nuther conversation:)

Back when I was guiding one of my bosses told me my job was to help clients find the game then get them into position to win! That was our motto whether they were using a twanger, a 25/06 or a 338 for elk. You all get the point...

Just curious about the g20 or g40 10mm. Thinking about getting one after I won any glock of my choice today. Leaning hard on the g40 just wish they'd make it in a gen5

Last edited:

Recent Posts