Glock 20 and Brown Bear

I

In 1979 spent the night in a tree stand luckily it was big enough to sleep in because a bear big one came into the old apple orchard I was bow deer hunting in and starting eating apples all night…..crunching those apples. Carey's Flat in NC………up in the mountains .

The hunter who I wrote about who the guide had to go in after had made a bad shot on a sow with cubs; and…he knew she had cubs but shot her anyways!! He clipped the sow in the hind quarters making it difficult for the sow to walk, and again she had cubs and wasn't leaving them. When the guide went in for the bow hunter who was still in the tree stand that bear was right there by the stand snapping and growling. The guide was carrying a handgun, but didn't waste any time getting the hunter out of the woods. The following day two well armed guides went in to find the wounded bear and found her dead about 100 yards from where she was hit with an arrow. I've always said that if I did bow hunt bear I would have at least a handgun with me.

A company called Bengal Bullets makes a 240gr wide flat nosed hardcast if you want to step up a notch. Little extra stability for those 10s

1670514871093.png

A company called Bengal Bullets makes a 240gr wide flat nosed hardcast if you want to step up a notch. Little extra stability for those 10s

View attachment 416121

I read in one of the threads referencing the 10mm is that the 200 grain bullet was supposed to be the optimum bullet for penetration and knock down power. For me personally I have certain weight bullets that I consider to be the "best" bullet for performance due to the cartridge. I believe the 165gr bullet to be the best all around bullet for the .308 Winchester, the 180gr for the 30-06 and the 130gr bullet for the .270. I am talking about total performance to include muzzle velocity as well and knock down power. Just curious if a 10mm has enough powder capacity to get this bullet up and running fast enough to be effective???

I tend to agree. At some point the fps drops to low to benefit from weight increase.

With that said mine are loaded with 180s, cause the 200 grain a frames weren't on sale but the 180s were. Granted I don't take the 10mm to seriously, most black bears locally are under 300 lbds and if bigger bears are around better tools exist.

If a Hunter shoot a sow with cubs in the behind with a bow.... he'd be left there. Heck I'd saw off the lower rungs of the ladder and leave him there. But that's why I'm not a guide....

Speaking of 10mm and penetration, I think many have seen this, but... perhaps a few haven't, it's interesting and adds a little something to the conversation, it's the round that I carry most of the time in my G20SF gen3
Cheers

Speaking of 10mm and penetration, I think many have seen this, but... perhaps a few haven't, it's interesting and adds a little something to the conversation, it's the round that I carry most of the time in my G20SF gen3
Cheers

We don't use light 10mm bullets in Alaska !
200 or 220gr (212gr) Hardcast for Bear defense !

I tend to agree. At some point the fps drops to low to benefit from weight increase.

With that said mine are loaded with 180s, cause the 200 grain a frames weren't on sale but the 180s were. Granted I don't take the 10mm to seriously, most black bears locally are under 300 lbds and if bigger bears are around better tools exist.

If a Hunter shoot a sow with cubs in the behind with a bow.... he'd be left there. Heck I'd saw off the lower rungs of the ladder and leave him there. But that's why I'm not a guide....
This idiot was not a fan of the guides and there were five of them, one to include the outfitter owner. The outfitter told the hunter to never book with her again; and..pretty much disgraced this hunter in front of the other hunters (like 34 guys). The guides who located the wounded bear also called the hunter a name, "to his face", that would violate just about all of the rules the forum has on it if included. This idiot even video taped the cubs with the sow while they were under the tree stand before he shot her. I did look at the Lehigh extreme perpetrators and the extreme defense bullets, however settled on the hard cast lead due to the large meplat of the bullet.

I read in one of the threads referencing the 10mm is that the 200 grain bullet was supposed to be the optimum bullet for penetration and knock down power. For me personally I have certain weight bullets that I consider to be the "best" bullet for performance due to the cartridge. I believe the 165gr bullet to be the best all around bullet for the .308 Winchester, the 180gr for the 30-06 and the 130gr bullet for the .270. I am talking about total performance to include muzzle velocity as well and knock down power. Just curious if a 10mm has enough powder capacity to get this bullet up and running fast enough to be effective???

In Alaska the 220gr by Underwood is popular the loading is not 220gr by bullet weight. It's between 212 to 214gr by weight. If they add a gas check that would probably bump it up close to 220gr. But now they high Tec coat on the bullets black Cherry. I use the heavier hard cast exclusively. Either is good for bear protection 200gr or 220gr Hardcast . Good choice picking the Hardcast.

Last edited:
The 220gr by the popular Underwood loading is not 220gr by weight. It's between 212 to 214gr by weight. If they add a gas check that would probably bump it up close to 220gr. But now they high Tec coat the bullets black Cherry. I use the heavier hard cast exclusively.
Yes the Lehigh 200gr hard cast that I am using have a really neat cherry color on them as well.

We don't use light 10mm bullets in Alaska !
200 or 220gr (212gr) Hardcast for Bear defense !
I don't disagree, the hard-cast heavy 10mms are big medicine out of the well-built 10mm platform, 200gr & 220gr a proven heavy-hitting woods carry. I've been super impressed with the 140gr from Lehigh's defense ammo as a general carry round. I think it might work well on a Bears gourd if one had to use it. It did a pretty good job on the heavy bulletproof glass, granted it's a piece of glass sitting on the ground in a controlled test, not a big Bear in full charge. Just my 0.2 Cheers

Last edited:
Bear is relative in definition. My last interaction with one was mid October maybe late Oct, stumbled out of my tent one morning to pee. Caught moment in the corner of my eye, was a young blackbear that musta been spooked when I flung open the flap. He ran about 50 yards looked over and turned to look back. I ran towards him laughing and he bolted to the treeline another 75 yards away. Most the time the bolder bears are young and smaller and dumb.

The odd situation like the torn up army guys this spring with a Grizzly is rare and in that instance they would have been suited with anything other than hands.

Big bears out west... dunno I'll still probably have my 10mm around but difference in various full Kilt loads aren't that significance when even compared to moderate rifle cartridges.

All boils down to bear size and temperament.

Yes agree with younger bears
Remember black bears will eat you like a chicken leg.
Grizzlies will maul you !
By far black bear attacks outnumber Grizzly attacks here but they are more of them in Alaska
Many times I have fished beside huge brown bear and once saw a brown bear steal a man catch of his string attached to his belt luckily he cut the string. I had 44 mag then but didn't have to use it. The bear just wanted the fish.

Last edited:
Yes agree with younger bears
Remember black bears will eat you like a chicken leg.
Grizzlies will maul you !
By far black bear attacks outnumber Grizzly attacks here but they are more of them in Alaska
Many times I have fished beside huge brown bear and once saw a brown bear still a man catch of his string attached to his belt luckily he cut the string. I had 44 mag then but didn't have to use it. The bear just wanted the fish.

Could that considered "catch and release"? memtb