Glock 10mm bear loads

The guys I hunt with live in Wyoming we all carried revolvers from the .41 mag on up

The 220s have a history of poor accuracy in factory Glock barrels. I would recommend the 200gr hard cast, or the 180gr FMJ load from Sig or Underwood. The 200gr hard cast will have a larger permanent wound cavity due to a sharper meplat, but the 180s should penetrate just fine. The 140gr extreme penetrator from Underwood is also another viable option.

Between my brother and I we have been reloading and hunting with th glock 20, 29, 40 (7 of them between us) for over 25 years now.

Our experience so far is:

Winchester nickel, starliner, Remington brass all have variations in capacity.

Pick 1 brand of brass, measure and sort by weight (1000 cases)

Pick out 100 or more that are identical +/- 1 grain AFTER trimming to identical length

A 180 grain or 200 grain hard cast homemade bullet properly coated and load to as maximum velocity as you can get a 4" group at 100 yards

7 elk, 3 bear, 12 deer have died quickly with a heart/lung/shoulder shot

Complete penetration broadside of a roosevelt elk, mule deer, whitetail or black tail is EXPECTED with a broadside shot. @ 100 - 125 yards

A texas heart shot on a mature elk will find the bullet under the skin on the far shoulder after traversing a 900lb elk.

This is with a 180 OR 200 grain hard cast coated at 1200-1300fps

More bullet weight is ABSOLUTELY not necessary

Even on a 350lb black bear the bullet will go through BOTH sides of the skull, the ribs, the paunch and EXIT between the rear legs!

180 grains is enough

170 grain factory loaded Winchester Silvertips will go through an elks SHOULDERS HEART LUNGS at 75 yards
leaving a football shaped mess in the lungs heart

The glock 40 with red dot is a fine 125 yard deer elk weapon!

And

3 shots drt

2 shots drt

I would not know what 1 shot is

I ALWAYS double tap a pistol

Nuff said
I like this gent. Man after my own heart. Love my 10mm's. If u dont handled. Underwood or Buffalo bore are great. Slap a KKM and shoot all the HC u want. Fantastic barrel I can say with confidence. There is NO handgun that packages more power than a Glock 15+1 or similar. Yes u can say hey I have a 454 Casull like I do but I guarantee I can get off way more rounds accurately than 1 or 2 of the other. I have both if its defense purposes I'll take the glock any day. But for hunting specifically big bears I'll take my 454 for sure.

I have the G40 MOS and absolutely love it and its topped with a vortex venom. G20 also is great and packable with tons of power at the ready.

I dont have the experience the gentlemen i quoted above has but it shows how capable this round is. It's far more capable than most give it credit for.

And to cover my *** here this is all IMHO. :)

I don't have understand whar all this negative fuss is all about regarding using a 10 mm on bears. I carry a Glock 40 G mos 10 mm in a chest rig when hunting whatever. It only took two rounds of Double Tap 220 hard cast out of a 16 Rd mag to drop a my 408 lb bear last year. It's my choice over my other carry, model SW 29 44 mag that's obviously a six shooter. Basically the 10 mm is an equivalent to a 41 caliber but the bigger deal is My 10 is 16 Rd with a 6 " after market barrel. Works for me...

Have been using Starline nickel plated brass with 200 gr. Gas check hard cast bullets. 10 gr. of 800X has been the best. Also have been using a Lone Wolf 5" fluted barrel. All on my Block 20. About 1300 fps at my 6,000 altitude. Also the barrel is threaded. Good Luck on your hunt.

I can't say that I would trust my life to 10MM though I do carry a .40 concealed. Anyway that last time I was in Alaska I was carrying a Old Model Vaquero in .44 mag. Now it provided adequate protection, though a bit heavy, it was always in my mind that reloading was slow should I need more that those six shots. So when I got back to the lower 48 I traded that Vaquero in on a S&W 629 Mountain Gun in .44 mag. which was about the same weight but much faster reloading. Finally after several years I went to a lighter S&W model 69, still in .44 mag but in a slimmer and lighter "L" frame. Much more comfortable carrying and though it is only a five shot, reloading is much faster and the gun is more controllable. Now when I get a chance to have it Mag-na-ported and have the cylinder cut for full moon clips and the chambers camfered, it will be the perfect woods and mountain backup gun.

Glock and H & K, and some others use polygonal rifling. this is why they advise against using lead bullets. Unfortunately, I don't know the "why" behind it.

I had this dilemma hunting in an area that is now having grizz spotted. I was originally dead set on the 10mm and did a lot of research. At the end I ended up with the S&W VXR in .460 S&W. I load 325 grain hard cast.

I know that it is only 5 shots, but I figured that I might only get 1 shot off. I chose energy over capacity. With the factory brake the recoil is mostly straight back, so a quick follow up shot is not unrealistic. I carry in the Kenai holster.

Last edited:
Unless you're very well trained and very well practiced , 99.9% of people are going to shoot poorly in a legit life or death defense scenario. More capacity gives you a higher chance of making an effective shot , I would rather have 15+1 10mm than 5 or 6 of anything else .

Long live Remmy700

Best of luck on your hunt. If you haven't already considered, please keep the gun accessible, not buried in your pack. Also, carefully weigh which holster to use. I personally like a chest holster because I can get at it while curled up in a fetal position even if the bear is already chewing on my head. Don't expect a clean fight. It is good to see that you are going to be prepared.

I agree with this. Keep it holstered somewhere you can grab it in any contorted position you might be in. A bear attack will be so violent and fast, you may need to react lightning fast. I would trust a 10mm and load it with whatever gives you the most muzzle energy. The 180 XTP would be a fine choice.