Glasses or surgery??

overbore

My right eye has just gotten too weak to be scope accurate so I am asking if anyone has undergone the laser eye surgery successfully?? and can still use a scope???

I will use prescription shooting glasses if I must but think the eye surgery may be less bother but need your experiences, please. Many thanks, Overbore

I have not yet butI have had 3 ants and 2 uncles and 5 friends that have had it and love it.out of the 10 people 4 were leagaly blind and have better vision the 20/20.All of my uncles hunt and have not had any trouble with it at all.one uncle has a little problem to a weak left eye if looking thru a scope for a long period of time but it gose away really fast and back to normal.I'm planing on getting min done around christmas.3000$ an eye but worth it from all i have seen.

Let me know if you go thru it or not.

Big

Got fed up with glasses, will be five years this Dec. Went to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Then around $1200.00 total, the reason for going to Canada. Fast and painless, I drove myself up on Mon, drove home Thurs.
I could still hunt and shoot without my glasses, but that was fast coming to an end. Since then at least three of my friend have had it done.

I got it done about 5 years ago. It is amazing. Especially when it comes to hunting and camping. Glasses and contacts were a pain in the butt. I love it. I would easily recommend it to anyone else.

I had amazing vision into my 50s but as my eyes aged I went into readers and now full correction with progressive lenses. I'm 64 and they won't do mine due to very mild cataract in one eye. My wife had her lasik done 15 years ago, then needed a tuneup 5 years ago using the PRK method. I can see way better than her when I wear glasses, so I deal with the inconvenience.

My right eye has just gotten too weak to be scope accurate so I am asking if anyone has undergone the laser eye surgery successfully?? and can still use a scope???

I will use prescription shooting glasses if I must but think the eye surgery may be less bother but need your experiences, please. Many thanks, Overbore
I had LASIK done a few years ago and it has been awesome for me. The actual operation took less than 5 minutes and my recovery time was quick and without pain. My hunting buddy did the PRK route and took longer in his recovery and some minor pain.

Sorry to hear about your degradation. Personally, I have no interest in having anything done to my eyes if I can avoid it. Yes, I wear contacts (For 37 years, and now have to use readers). I'm being very serious about this part. I was fortunate/unfortunate to be in a situation for quite a few years where being able to shoot both right and left handed with any firearm was life saving difference. You will have to put some time in practicing not only shooting from a bench but positional and real world situations. I would start with dry firing, red dot sight, then to a scope/Iron sights.

Had both eyes done in 2005. Wanted to get rid of wet/foggy glasses while duck hunting I was VERY near sighted. Canadian bunch rolled into town and set up shop. $2k/eye. Short recovery, no pain, VOILA'!! I could see without glasses.....20/20 & 20/15! 2 weeks later, vision became somewhat blurry. Back in for a check up......"ahhh, your eyes have healed MORE than we anticipated. Happens, we can't predict EXACTLY how much to correct the curvature. You still have 20/20 in one and 20/40 in the other", (guess which eye was 20/40). Opening day duck season.....first light, blind buddy is hollering "Rick, Rick, why didn't you shoot those pintails?" What pintails......I couldn't see them in the low light conditions. That deficiency also manifested itself at night while driving. Not happy. Fast forward to 2017, cataracts are now making long range shooting a challenge. Kaiser says, "Yep, ya need to have the surgery done in both eyes. We gotta laser map the back of your eyeball to determine how much correction you'll need in the new lenses we install." Doc comes back looking down....not good, says I. He says, "you've have Lasik in the past and that procedure really screws with out mapping system. We can't guarantee you'll have 20/20 in either or both eyes." Sure enough, came out 20/40 and 20/70 (astigmatism didn't help). And guess which eye is now the worst again.....shooting eye, of course. All my friends who've had cataract surgery say it's a Godsend and they are thrilled. I feel I've traded 12 years of not wearing glasses in the daytime for sup-par vision for the rest of my life.
Good luck on what you decide. Talk to the doc about the consequences of THIS surgery if you may need cataract surgery in the future.

I had lasik a few years ago, I would not do it again. For most people it goes well, for some it's irreversible damage. I had problems and went to a reputable doctor with lots of experience, I paid $5000 several years ago so he was popular and his prices reflected that.

Do a web search on "lasik gone bad" or similar searches. Read about people whose surgery did not go well. There's a doctor in Florida who's entire practice is helping people whose surgery went wrong. People have committed suicide over that surgery going wrong. Ask yourself if it worth possibly being one of those people and then make your decision.