Glasses or no glasses with scopes

Interesting! When you see the target in a scope you are looking at the image of the target on a lens in the scope. If the parallax is set correctly the target and reticle are on the same plane. Maybe try setting the focus on the scope (eye piece). If it has a side focus try changing that. Why they put numbers on the side focus when we all see differently I don't know.
"Why they put numbers on the side focus when we all see differently I don't know."

General adjustment for a quick final focus. A SWAG ;-)

I asked my optometrist about doing that. He suggested using progressive trifocals first. I was with you think bifocals would work better. Growing old ain't for babies ;)
With progressive lens you basically have a system that has a transition zone that, for me, works like tri-focal lens. It requires an adjustment period to master the technology but definitely worth the effort. I like them so well I had a second pair made with yellow lens that I use at the range and hunting.

My progressive bifocals have a sweet spot that is just too hard to narrow down. I can find it if I turn my head just right but that takes me a little off of my cheek weld. Shooting a medium high comb stock on my .375 I would just as soon shoot a little fuzzy.

With progressive lens you basically have a system that has a transition zone that, for me, works like tri-focal lens. It requires an adjustment period to master the technology but definitely worth the effort. I like them so well I had a second pair made with yellow lens that I use at the range and hunting.
When I had my cataracts removed I had them put in ocular implants with transition lenses about five years ago. Annual eye exam this past Monday I read the small bottom lines with each eye. Modern technology's a marvel.

I talked to my optometrist who is a pistol shooter, and he made me a pair of glasses just for scoped shooting to correct for astigmatism.
When I had cataract surgery, I asked for a lens to focus at 600 yds in my left eye, and it is magnificent. For some reason, the 500 yd lens in my right did not come out as well, but the glasses help a lot since I shoot righthanded.

Just another shooter that has issues with glasses. I wear NoLine BiFocals, where only the dead center of my glasses are in focus a distance. I shoot well (sub MOA ) at 100 yds without my glasses, but not with them on. I find that at 400 yards I am holding better groups with my glasses. Our Gun Club/Range requires safety glasses for everyone on the range, so I can't remove my glasses when shooting shorter distances (Yeah, they do enforce their rules). I wonder if others experience the same results.

I had a pair of shooting glasses made for handgun shooting that were "upside down" copies of my regular glasses, with close in lenses at the top, and focal point extended to the distance to my front sight.
But, with rifle and optics, I'm looking through my distance correction section of my trifocals and I need to try my upside down bifocals ... My take on the optics is everything is on that same focal point (within the distance of the scope tube) so I wouldn't want my distance correction there - I would want basically the focal distance of my "readers" ???

What scares me is when I look at a four foot level with my glasses on, it appears to be curved. Maybe that is why I suck at 100 yard groups. I have worked out the best adjustment between the end of scope diopter for clear crosshairs and then adjust parallax at each distance. I still suck at 100 yard groups.
I use only long distance lenses and experience the same thing. Up close cans appear to be oval shaped. But, for shooting my bow and rifle the single long distance lens has made shooting fun again. No more double vision without glasses past 50 yards.

The folks saying adjust the diopter are probably on track. I wear progressive lenses so I can see game at distance and still read a map or GPS up close. After adjusting diopter I am fine wearing glasses. If you're not sure how to do this adjustment, see the "eyepiece focus" section of this link:

Similar problems with old eyes here! Now-a-days I need 2.5+ readers to see things up close. They do not work looking through scope, eye relief, focus and parallax are all inconsistant. Using no glasses something either target, field picture or crosshairs will be out of focus. I use a low magnification set of glasses 1.25 and all is clear throughout sight picture. I use a magnifier in my bow's peep sight and it works for great me. my 2 cnt's.

Recent Posts