Glass make a decent shooter better?

Perhaps but it sure doesn't hurt to have the edge of quality in your favor. I took a Canadian buddy to the range this summer and sit him behind a couple of my customs with good glass. mind you the kid had never even shot a scoped rifle in his life. He has fired a shot gun a few times.
Set him up on paper at 200 yrds, dialed in the scope and he fired 4 rounds, about 2.5" group (not so good) this rifle is easy .5" at 200 yrds.
Moved him out to 300 yrds on a 10" gong; dialed in the scope for him and he produced 5 for 5 hits. I had setup 6 clays to the right of the gong and he was picking off clays at 300 very consistently.
Just for fun we moved the 10" gong to 600 yrds. I dialed in the scope; his comment was, no way can I hit that, my comment was hold dead on as you have been, breath and squeeze..... First round hit at 600 yrds. He thumped the gong at 600 with about a 70% hit to miss the rest of the day and used 3 various rifles. I think the kid is hooked and so is his US buddy the came out and shot with us the day. His buddy brought his personal Ruger .308 that day but had a difficult time on anything beyond 200 yrds with his personal rifle. I sit him up behind my 7STW, my 300 WM and a semi custom 6.5 CM that day and he two was banging steel at 600 yrd. He fell in love with the 7 STW and is currently researching a custom build of his own.
Quality and precision matter.
Not only that you did a really good thing. Nothing is addictive as success and nothing will build confidence faster either.

Good on you!

Thought I would update. I bought a Night Force, SHV, 5-20X56, second focal plane, with the MOAR reticle. I think I'm in love! Came today, mounting it tonite, maybe shoot tomorrow. Next Sat, for sure.
Gregg

Thought I would update. I bought a Night Force, SHV, 5-20X56, second focal plane, with the MOAR reticle. I think I'm in love! Came today, mounting it tonite, maybe shoot tomorrow. Next Sat, for sure.
Gregg
Good deal. Think of it this way, you just scratched off one possible problem with your shooting in the future as long as you do a proper job of mounting and securing it.

Of course, at the same time, you now have one less excuse if you miss! HA!

Good deal. Think of it this way, you just scratched off one possible problem with your shooting in the future as long as you do a proper job of mounting and securing it.

Of course, at the same time, you now have one less excuse if you miss! HA!
Yup. That's the idea, anyway. Now to see how many other excuses I can come up with!
Gregg

1217171627.jpg
]
Math is a wonderful thing!

Up date:
At the range today, sighted in new NF SHV, then started looking for seating depth node. Found one in the .5in range. Then again, I may have been looking at the sight picture incorrectly all along. I thought I read that to watch tbe target w cross hair overlaid was ideal, but my groups seemed to tighten up when I focused on crosshair w target in back ground. Or, I hit better load nodes. Or or or or- crap am I lost. Well It was fun. Thoughts anybody?
Thanks
Gregg

Up date:
At the range today, sighted in new NF SHV, then started looking for seating depth node. Found one in the .5in range. Then again, I may have been looking at the sight picture incorrectly all along. I thought I read that to watch tbe target w cross hair overlaid was ideal, but my groups seemed to tighten up when I focused on crosshair w target in back ground. Or, I hit better load nodes. Or or or or- crap am I lost. Well It was fun. Thoughts anybody?
Thanks
Gregg
Read your instructions that came with it in reference to parallax adjustment.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.