Glass bedding with Acraglas Gel

1100 Remington Man

I did not want to do this but there is not any Gunsmiths in my area who do this work.
I am very nervous just did it following instructions in kit and watched some YouTube Vids. I sure hope I did not screw this up. I will say this trying to find a good gunsmith is like looking for gold. It says in 10 hours I can take it apart I hope I can.

triple check you have release agent on everything you want to stick and you'll be fine! PS a little bit of vinegar helps with the clean up, while the epoxy is still wet.

Another piece of advice, if you ever do another one, use JB Weld. Higher compressive strength, higher flexural strength, and higher bonding strength. Get some of the "stick" stuff and mix in the liquid stuff to the right consistency, and this works really well. Also don't remove too much wood, I did this once and it doesn't look good. You only need about 1/16" around the action. Anyways, there's my two cents, take it or leave it.

I wish I would of know of the spray lube for release agent I just used Browenells that came in kit & there instructions. I'll see in a couple of more hours if it comes out it is some sticky ****. I don't know why but at 100 yds it would shoot 1 MOA or a little less but at 200 yds it went to hell around 3 inch groups used to shoot under 2.9 inches at 300 yds. I put a new HS Presion stock on & used there bedding compound not impressed with the puddy with New Model 70 stock when I took action out of stock it flaked out.

I know that ideally you bed your stock, take it out once to clean out the "squish," put it back together, and never take it apart again.

In reality this never happens though. If you want a good test, bed a rifle with acraglass and one with JB. Then take them apart and put them back together ten times. You will undoubtably notice how much looser the acraglass is.

That is the only thing I need to do to never use anything but JB again.

Well it came apart now for the clean up. I was surprised the tape on front and sides & bottom of recoil lug stayed in stock.

I know that ideally you bed your stock, take it out once to clean out the "squish," put it back together, and never take it apart again.

In reality this never happens though. If you want a good test, bed a rifle with acraglass and one with JB. Then take them apart and put them back together ten times. You will undoubtably notice how much looser the acraglass is.

That is the only thing I need to do to never use anything but JB again.
what do you use as the release agent? I was looking at Devcon titanium putty for my next bedding adventure. FYI I have acraglass gel in my gun. after taking it out of the stock 3-4 times it become easy to take out; the first few times were nice and snug. I cant imagine what happens after repeated recoil

Diderr-

I used the release that came with the Acra-Glas Kit that I bought to do my first rifle, for the longest time. They give you two bottles which is more than enough.
Last time I used neutral colored shoe polish which seemed to work better because it doesn't run as much. Just had to make sure and keep it thin, don't get a big blob in one spot. This worked really well.

Last edited:
Was bedding it worth it ? Yes now at 100 yds average group size . 85 inch groups average with Nosler 120gr BT.

Last edited:
I'm not too fond of the Acraglas package myself. The release agent is way too thick IMO no matter how you apply it and the bedding compound itself contains nylon which is hygroscopic (attracts water) -- pretty much the last thing you want in the rifle action-stock interface. Sure it might be that the nylon among the epoxy never gets in contact with water but why take the chance when there's plenty of epoxies to choose from and the cost per rifle is insignificant?

The bedding fit should remain constant or the bedding job is suspect. After all the idea is a casting that accurately and repeatedly hugs the entire action surface without introducing distortion.

I'm not a benchrest fan -- I endorse all shooting sports but my personal preferences just lie elsewhere -- but the guys have it nailed with the mantra "bullets, barrels, bedding".

My bedding jobs are far from perfect presentation-wise (I'm getting better and getting more new and proper tools don't hurt either) but I consider the castings to be accurate when I get all the wrinkles from the action and I'm even able to read "Made In Finland" as a reverse shadow in the bedding -- and that's with the lettering packed with clay :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.