Glad I Looked Through a Leupold MK5 Today!

Like the Mark5 weight but while everyone's eyes are different, the CA on the MK5HD 3-18 I tried was distinctly worse than my Vortex Razor G2s(heavy pig tho), Kahles, ATACRs, or NX8 4-32. Sold it within a couple weeks of buying it.

Last edited:
Ya don't know what you were looking at. Have had the 5-25, 3-18, and currently have the vx5hd on my hunting rifle. Considering switching to the 5-25 for hunt rifle. The 3-18 wasn't great with tmr in ffp. Just didn't care for it. But I do like their new reticles and would possibly try it again just to save on size from the 5-25.

BFD, are you talking about glass clarity or the "tunnel view" aspect with the M5? When folks talk about the toilet paper tube aspect, that usually means that the scope doesn't open up the field of view as much as other scopes when the zoom is turned down. Some scopes are bad about this, it's called tunneling. It would make it a bad scope for lowering the zoom so you could spot your own shots.

This is mine and I have never been happier the tiny center dot gives me the ability to be as precise as any reticle I have ever used.
The field of view is excellent edge to edge. Will be buying another my FFL got it for, 2057.00
MARK 5HD

MARK 5HD 5-25X56 M5C3 ILLUM. FFP TMR

Part #

BFD, are you talking about glass clarity or the "tunnel view" aspect with the M5? When folks talk about the toilet paper tube aspect, that usually means that the scope doesn't open up the field of view as much as other scopes when the zoom is turned down. Some scopes are bad about this, it's called tunneling. It would make it a bad scope for lowering the zoom so you could spot your own shots.
I understand the tunneling aspect. It's prevalent on my Bushnell Elite DMR II between 3-4x. FOV is good rest of mag range. I am always at 15-19x on that range gun so no worries there.

The MK 5 I shot had that tunnel look at 20-25X. A lot of black around the sight picture.

I understand the tunneling aspect. It's prevalent on my Bushnell Elite DMR II between 3-4x. FOV is good rest of mag range. I am always at 15-19x on that range gun so no worries there.

The MK 5 I shot had that tunnel look at 20-25X. A lot of black around the sight picture.

If you had black around the sight picture it simply was not set up for you and you did not have the correct eye relief

If you had black around the sight picture it simply was not set up for you and you did not have the correct eye relief
Oh my, I know how to establish proper eye relief. The sight picture was clean edge to edge from shadow. I'm talking thick black internal scope tube look, hence the toilet paper roll.

Well anyway. I will need to look through some more MK 5 HDs and see if this is replicated. Till then I'll roll with a Burris XTR III. I know for certain that is a fantastic scope.