Giving .308 Win a go

Quarterhorse

I reload for several handgun calibers but no other rifle until now. Well I got the rifle bedded and got my 1st run of .308 done. I need to purchase a new powder measure tool as my Lee double disc kit will only throw 43gr of Varget. I want to load up to 46gr in .5 increments but I'm maxed out right now. I have a COAL of 2.800 with one oops of 2.745. So I have a total of 6 loaded up so far. I need to re-zero the rifle with some factory ammo and will then see how these group unless I get my new powder measure before I get to the range and will run a few more batches for a comparo.

So, running 168 Berger VLD's, Varget, and Remington primers.

These sure are Purdy........
IMAG0869_zps8c1e43fd.jpg

They'll probably shoot good. Its not hard a lot of times to find a accurate .308 load. Both my .308's shoot pretty good. I've shot some 168 gr. SMK's and got pretty groups. I hunt with 150 gr. Hornady spire points. They aren't as accurate as the Sierra Matchkings but, shoot plenty good enough. Let us know how she shoots. As far as a powder measure goes, get what you like. I've personally used a RCBS Uniflow for over 20 years. It always works good. What model rifle is yours?

I've got the Redding BR30. It works well. I'm shooting 150 Btips over IMR4064 and I think I also another batch with Varget. They shoot good enough for short range work, around 300 and under.

For small batches or load development, I set my powder measure to under charge, dump that into the scale pan, and then add the additional weight directly with a small dipper onto the scale. One just has to zero the empty pan first... That way I can get the exact weight for each individual charge in 0.1gr increments.

Thanks for the replies fellas. What are you guys using for a powder measure that would thread into my rifle charging die?

The rifle is just a non-accutrigger Savage model 11 with a synthetic stock. I bought it as a cheap package rifle to throw in the truck and take hunting. Being in Iowa rifle hunting is limited due to deer being bow, muzzy, and shotgun being the main and only two weeks late January for antlerless only. I of course take part in the majority of the seasons but the late rifle season was just a one year thing for me. I have taken one during that season hunt with it, it was a chip shot of 150 or less. I also took it last year down to Oklahoma for a hog hunt and dropped two with it there.

Just thought I wanted to make it a little tighter tack driver and get it ready to go out west for an antelope hunt that I've been wanting to do.

Thanks again all.

There is no need to run powder through a die, except in a turret style press.

749997.jpg

In the Kit above, see the amber colored funnel ? Hold that on top of the case neck and pour the powder in. If the bullets are standing in a tray, it is easy to do one at a time. No way one can get 2 powder charges into a 308 cartridge, unlike a pistol or revolver cartridge. There are even better metallic funnels one can buy that do not develop a static charge so the powder grains do not stick to them. I got the above press kit, so my plastic one came for free...

Take note that you are not far from some pretty high pressure at 44gr. 44gr is compressed in my cases. You might consider taking smaller than 1/2gr steps. Stop as soon as you start getting pressure signs. Watch the primer cup carefully and look for an ejector mark on the back face. It really sucks to have to pull bullets on charges that are not safe to shoot...

See this video for how Gunwerks loads their ammo on a progressive press. Take note that the powder is weighed out for each round and poured in by hand...
[ame=http://youtu.be/6E9IDD_dPjk]Ammo Manufacturing - YouTube[/ame]

41.75 of IMR 4064 with 175gr Sierra (Mk 316 load)
Fed 210M
Fed GM Match Brass

These loads will duplicate the Federal Gold Medal Match loads

Not that it matters, but it may, I am using this for a hunting rig so I'm not looking for match only bullets. SGK's are on my list though.

Thanks again all!

Not that it matters, but it may, I am using this for a hunting rig so I'm not looking for match only bullets. SGK's are on my list though.

Thanks again all!

42.0 of IMR 4895
165 gr Sierra GK HP
Fed 210 Match
WW brass or FC brass

A old match load but will work good with any 165/168 gr bullet
Really like the 308 Win.......dumped a ton of deer, caribou, mule deer with it.

Well I had some spare time today and went out and bought the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I couldn't justify spending 3 times the money on what is basically the same thing before spending 10+ times the money on an electronic one. All the reading I've done says that with what powder I'm using it for I should be fine.
Now, onto my next hurdle. I acquired some CBC brass with crimped primers. I know some of you are probably laughing, well, yes, I broke my de-priming pin trying to push the crimped primer out. After some cursing I just put my stuff away and will be ordering a new one from Lee.
My question being how the hell do you de-prime these cases and am I going to have to ream these out after they're de-primed? It looks like they were staked on 3 sides!
Anyway, thanks for following. Once I get my new de-priming pin I'll be doing from 43-45 grains of Varget in .5 intervals and seeing how they shoot. I plan on cleaning the barrel after each set of 5 so I'm on the same playing field at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.