Girlfriends first elk

tslesquire

Took my girlfriend out on her first elk hunt. She was able to connect on a nice 3 point rosie at 640 yards with the 300 RUM I just finished building. I would like to thank those of you who answered my questions throughout the build, esp Shawn Carlock and Jesse Werner.

Attachments

• DSCN3144.jpg
    DSCN3144.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 71
Congrats to you both. I gotta say, that looks like one of the biggest bodied elk I've ever seen. Is it just the camera angle or is he really that big?

Damned thing looks like horse with horns!

Congrats to you both. I gotta say, that looks like one of the biggest bodied elk I've ever seen. Is it just the camera angle or is he really that big?

Damned thing looks like horse with horns!
Congrats, I was thinking the same thing Wildrose, that thing looks like a water buffalo with an elk hide over it.

Its not the angle Roosevelts' elk have big bodies, his body was the same as the 275" bull I killed in eastern oregon 2 years ago
Must have been some chore getting him out of there!

Are they just on the western slope or are they the same subspecies I see over around Hell's Canyon and Brownlee?

Again congrats to you both.

By Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young standards the are located west of I-5 But we consider any westslope elk to be a rosie. Some refer to those that reside between I5 and the top of the cascades as Cascade Roosevelts. Getting him out wasnt bad, he was only a quarter of a mile from the nearest road. Waaaay easier than some of the bulls i have packed out over east

I am using Berger 215 hybrids, at 3050 fps. Bullet performance was great, I filled my antlerless deer tag and my mother took a spike bull with the same gun in the two weeks before this bull, none of them moved. All rounds passed through, I will say that it leaves a 30 cal hole upon entry and looks more like a 12 gauge on exit. Doesnt seem to care if you hit soft tissue or bone. I think it is because the are hollow point and it looks as though the tip explodes and the rest of the bullet travels through. On the doe i shot it hit rib and parts of the shattered rib bone exited the other side. After seeing two elk and a deer taken with the round I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Have you seen Broz's testing of the 215 grain hybrid? he is 19 and 0 with his 300 win mag and 215's.

I'll have to echo what others have said---man, that is a pig of an elk.
You should have LOTS of elk burger...............

Congrats.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.