Gimme a Brake (a Muscle Brake)

rhouser

Nothing is worse than an old guy who thinks he's funny. That's what my spouse of 44 years tells me all the time.

Ok, I turned 65 this year and I just can't take another season with my 300 rum unchecked. I have an older 700 PSS that weights in at 10.5 pounds without glass and I shoot a 200 gr AB at just a hair over 3100 fps. It is accurate, but, the recoil has finally gotten me to the point where I don't even like thinking about shooting this gun. I do my load development using a lead sled with 50 lbs of shot.

I have pretty well decided on the muscle brake. I am thinking the new 4 port not magnum. I am loading retumbo at around the 95 grain mark. I want to minimize my back blast as well.

What are you guys shooting? Is anybody using the 4 port not magnum? Would I be better off going to the full 4 port Magnum. I am looking for recoil reduction without the loss of accuracy. I would also like to NOT be beaten with a shock wave. I may only be able to have 2 out of 3, but, I am trying for all.

Can I get a 4 hole Not Magnum top drilled for barrel jump?

If I get a high consensus, I will place an order tomorrow (or at least get on the phone with the new owners). I hear he is maintaining a high level of quality.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rch

Well you are certainly on the right track. I have a 4-port muscle brake (non-magnum) on my 338 RUM. I can shoot the rifle all day long. no muzzle jump, no concussion. I highly recommend against any brake with top ports as they will likely slam your barrel into your stock. There's some videos out there that proves that. Also make sure a good gunsmith installs the brake, that's going to make the difference in accuracy.

My 338 RUM shoots in the .1 - .2 MOA range, and the only effect the brake had on accuracy is letting me shoot the rifle without flinching. Ryan Pierce installed the brake and did a great job. He is a sight sponsor.

If size/weight is not a factor, I would also give the Assassin brake made by JE Custom (also a sight sponsor and a top shelf gunsmith) a hard look. They just have a little larger footprint than the muscle brake.

Nothing is worse than an old guy who thinks he's funny. That's what my spouse of 44 years tells me all the time.

Ok, I turned 65 this year and I just can't take another season with my 300 rum unchecked. I have an older 700 PSS that weights in at 10.5 pounds without glass and I shoot a 200 gr AB at just a hair over 3100 fps. It is accurate, but, the recoil has finally gotten me to the point where I don't even like thinking about shooting this gun. I do my load development using a lead sled with 50 lbs of shot.

I have pretty well decided on the muscle brake. I am thinking the new 4 port not magnum. I am loading retumbo at around the 95 grain mark. I want to minimize my back blast as well.

What are you guys shooting? Is anybody using the 4 port not magnum? Would I be better off going to the full 4 port Magnum. I am looking for recoil reduction without the loss of accuracy. I would also like to NOT be beaten with a shock wave. I may only be able to have 2 out of 3, but, I am trying for all.

Can I get a 4 hole Not Magnum top drilled for barrel jump?

If I get a high consensus, I will place an order tomorrow (or at least get on the phone with the new owners). I hear he is maintaining a high level of quality.

Thanks in advance for any help.

rch

The 50 lbs counter weight is bad juju!

I don't think you can go wrong with CSR's muscle brake. IIWY, I'd go with 4 ports; it's designed to control muzzle rise without holes on top.

If you want similar design with a hole on top, checkout Benchmark's tactical brake -- it was modeled after the muscle brake with Jim See's blessing.

I use several Musclebrakes, 3 port with top ports and 4 port. These are on .338 EDGE rifles and I can't tell much difference between them. They both work well. Gary

Ordered another batch this week, I've used probably a dozen or better 4 port Muscle brakes on RUM's and there a complete pleasure to shoot. I drill a hole in the top of the first baffle if it's needed to control muzzle rise.
I've had more guys come up to me on the range wanting to know what I was using for a brake because of how nice it was to shoot next to me. I put them on all my buddies guns because I'm usually beside them spotting and I get zero feed back from a Muscle brake, you'll wonder why the heck you didn't do it earlier!!

I have several Muscle Brakes and love them. They are accurate (I got the high score at a 1000yard Benchrest competition last year with one, and placed in the top 10 in last years SnipersHide cup with one) and they do a wonderful job at reducing recoil. One WARNING, It appears your rifles may be used for hunting, and would would strongly advise against using any kind of brake while hunting, unless you will be wearing hearing protection...(which I've found not practical in most cases). Even though the design "might" block some blast by vectoring, it is not enough to provide any kind of hear protection.

If you want similar design with a hole on top, checkout Benchmark's tactical brake -- it was modeled after the muscle brake with Jim See's blessing.

This is the tactical mini (Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes) installed on my .300 WSM and it works incredibly well.

Benchmark%20Tactical%20MB%202%20of%203_zpswn2pm8bo.jpg

Benchmark%20Tactical%20MB%203%20of%203_zpshrial7p4.jpg

SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%201%20of%203_zpswv5nivdn.jpg

Here's a video of the larger version on a barreled .338 LM ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the 4 port non magnum muscle brake on my 300 RUM. Shooting 230 grain bergers with a LOT of RL-33. Incredible difference. Don't see any need for a top port.

For the big calibre, testosterony, maximum powder burners I recommend JE Custom's Assassin brake.

I am running an Ops Inc brake on my remmmington 700 and the effects on recoil reduction are great. Took a stock 308 and it now feels like I'm shooting close to a 223, definitely less recoil than a stock 243. Cerakoted the barrel and action so it all matches as well.

Attachments

• OPS.gif
    OPS.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Rem 700 Build 9.jpg
    Rem 700 Build 9.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 134
Well, you pays your money and you takes your choice. I have a 4 port Non-Magnum Slab Sided muzzle brake on the way in. It should arrive tomorrow, then, I will drop it and my RUM off at the smiths on Saturday. We shall see what we shall see.

As a side note, I got a REALLY nice PM from J E Custom. He provided me with a lot of really GREAT information on brakes and several links to some really good video on brake performance. What was so nice about it was the way it was NOT presented as a "sales pitch", but, rather as information sharing.

Thanks to all who offered their help with my selection. v/r rch

Well, you pays your money and you takes your choice. I have a 4 port Non-Magnum Slab Sided muzzle brake on the way in. It should arrive tomorrow, then, I will drop it and my RUM off at the smiths on Saturday. We shall see what we shall see.

As a side note, I got a REALLY nice PM from J E Custom. He provided me with a lot of really GREAT information on brakes and several links to some really good video on brake performance. What was so nice about it was the way it was NOT presented as a "sales pitch", but, rather as information sharing.

Thanks to all who offered their help with my selection. v/r rch

I think it'll serve you well!

Jerry is one of the good guys here that I look up to; always willing and able to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.