getting the most out of 2,500

waylow

I need a 33 cal rifle for long range Elk hunting. I will not be packing this gun on long walks. I don't reload and at the local stores it seems that 338 rum was last place with just one box of ammo at the local sportmans warehouse they have about three choses on the weatherby 340 or 338 375. the 338 laupa had about 4 choises on ammo. I am hopping to get the best rifle and glass for around $ 2,500 that I can get. Was thinking about the Savage long range hunter in 338 Laupa with Huskama 5- 20. Any thoughts on the best bang for the buck in my price range.

Define what to you is long range, and how far this gun will be inteded for use on game, then we can narrow it down a little better.

I need a 33 cal rifle for long range Elk hunting. I Was thinking about the Savage long range hunter in 338 Laupa with Huskama 5- 20. Any thoughts on the best bang for the buck in my price range.

Welcome to LRH

I think you are there. Sounds like a great choice to me.

When you find this 338 and scope for sale, grab it and I'll bet you have some $$ left in your pocket from that $2500.

Like 4bycamper said welcome to LRH, i dont know how i missed that before.
If you want to shoot out to at least 1000 yards i would go with the Savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua and leupold mark 4 scope, it will be right at or a little above $2500 but ours is scary accurate with the 280 grain Barnes LRX. We have the same combo that i suggested above. It weighs in at around 14.5 lbs loaded. Remeber, weight is your friend for long range shooting/hunting if you dont have to pack it a long ways.

The only reason i would not go with a huskama is if your conditions change from what your turret is calibrated for then you will be off and at any range beyond around 600 yards i personally wouldnt trust a system like that. If you got the G7 lrf then that changes the ball game.

I would reccomend starting to reload because 338 Lapua rounds arent cheap and with reloading you can dial in your load so you can hit a 14" steel plate at 1500 yards if the shooter is capable (no offense intended in anyway).

Always look in the classifieds on this forum. there are some really good deals for that price or lower and still buy some really nice glass as well. Have seen several .338lm for reasonable prices. Good luck on the search and welcome.

I need a 33 cal rifle for long range Elk hunting. I will not be packing this gun on long walks. I don't reload and at the local stores it seems that 338 rum was last place with just one box of ammo at the local sportmans warehouse they have about three choses on the weatherby 340 or 338 375. the 338 laupa had about 4 choises on ammo. I am hopping to get the best rifle and glass for around $ 2,500 that I can get. Was thinking about the Savage long range hunter in 338 Laupa with Huskama 5- 20. Any thoughts on the best bang for the buck in my price range.
What makes you think you "need" a .338 to kill elk?

You say you want a "long range Elk Hunting rifle" but what is the actual maximum range you are capable of shooting MOA or better at? Do you have any previous experience?

You can find a hell of a lot of barely used .338's at great prices mainly because most people who get one find out very quickly they don't need it and absolutely do not enjoy shooting it.

Check Gun Broker, and the classified section here and on other shooting websites and you can find some real bargains.

Well I would like a gun good to 1,000 yards but most likly going to limit myself to whatever range I shoot inside a 14 '' gong. LOL
Then a 300 Rum or 338 Rum will fit your needs very well.

Best bargain on one would be to search the classifieds and GB and look for one in a Remington Sendero or similar package.

What makes you think you "need" a .338 to kill elk?

You say you want a "long range Elk Hunting rifle" but what is the actual maximum range you are capable of shooting MOA or better at? Do you have any previous experience?

You can find a hell of a lot of barely used .338's at great prices mainly because most people who get one find out very quickly they don't need it and absolutely do not enjoy shooting it.

Check Gun Broker, and the classified section here and on other shooting websites and you can find some real bargains.
You ask why I think I need a 33 cal to kill Elk? The friend that offered to take me on my first Elk hunt told me he used 30 cal for years but thinks his 338 rum is alot better. My shooting skill comes from 40 years as a varmint hunter with my 223 s I'm good on small targets to 300 yards and with my 243 I do ok at 400 or so. I read alot and try to learn all I can before I put a gun in my safe to avoid having to resale at a loss. I have a good place to shoot out to 1000 yards and will put in the time to know what my limits are. I think if I go with a rifle in the 10 to 13 pound range with a break I should be ok with recoil.

You ask why I think I need a 33 cal to kill Elk? The friend that offered to take me on my first Elk hunt told me he used 30 cal for years but thinks his 338 rum is alot better. My shooting skill comes from 40 years as a varmint hunter with my 223 s I'm good on small targets to 300 yards and with my 243 I do ok at 400 or so. I read alot and try to learn all I can before I put a gun in my safe to avoid having to resale at a loss. I have a good place to shoot out to 1000 yards and will put in the time to know what my limits are. I think if I go with a rifle in the 10 to 13 pound range with a break I should be ok with recoil.
Our 14 lbs 338 Lapua pushing 280 grain bullets is right on my outer level of comfort recoil wise, but im 14, 5', and 110 lbs. You can bet it will be getting a better brake sometime next year.

Nobody needs a 33 cal. for elk ,moose or deer. I have used a 30/06 for 40 plus years, out to as far as 400 yards with no problems what so ever.
I really can't think why anybody would even go that big, as there is nothing in the States that calls for a caliber that big.lightbulb

Nobody needs a 33 cal. for elk ,moose or deer. I have used a 30/06 for 40 plus years, out to as far as 400 yards with no problems what so ever.
I really can't think why anybody would even go that big, as there is nothing in the States that calls for a caliber that big.lightbulb

Nobody?? :D

Good for you on the elk, moose, deer out to 400 yds. No Problem here.

But this is Long Range Hunting. 1000 Yard shots are on the table.
Your 30-06 with a 168 A Max is down to 1150 FPE by 700 yards.
And down to 670 FPE at 1000. So you would probably want to call 600 yards the practical limit for your rifle.

I shot 30-06 team rifle at 600 yards with 150 gr ammo. So I got a clue.
Even my 7mm mag starts to fall off the table around 700 yards.

My point is if I want to kill elk at 1000 yards I will need a 338 mag especially if there is any wind at all. lightbulb

Happy shooting

Did you just use the "N" word......as in Need? LOL. I NEED all sortsa guns just ask my wife. I currently need 26,453,435,353,451,856 give or take 2.(Worried about concussion with the 30mm so I may not need it MORE than my retinas).
Yes you NEED way more than an 06 for LR. Yeah you can kill stuff a fair peice with an 06 but a 338 is in a different ballpark. TOF for any round is over .5 at 500 m/l. This means you NEED a 338. Horsepower is nice when you have the wrong wind or animal moves or you pull the shot. For whatever reason you need it the 338 at 2850 and a smk/berger givesw over 2500fpe with a lot larger frontal area and double the weight of a typical 06.A 338 at 1k=30-06 at less than 100 yds even if you totally discount SD and frontal area. Even a 200 gr 06 gives 50% weight to the bigboy. The 338 needs about 4.5 moa of wind at 10 mph the 06 needs 9.7. A 168 bt has 542 FPE about 1/5 of a 338.
When shooting past 4-500 hit them with all the horspower you can and hope you dont need it. I used to kill a lot of depredation deer with a 308 cuz it was cheaper. Then I figured in time checking hits,gas etc and built a 338 that I can kill 20+ from one spot and NEVER have to chase one. Much easier and lower cost for me since I may have to shoot quite a few.
Ask any drag racer and he will tell you this: There is NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.
The 338s with high BC and thin jackets have changed a lot of what LR is. A 1000 yds used to be a long shot even with a 300 ultra. The big 300 gr 338s change all that.

A 10lb 300 gr shooting over 2800 fps? I sure s heck aint ok with that recoil. If you dont have to pack it then weight is always better. They move less. Period. I have 2 338s over the 30lb mark both of which Ive had a lot of newbs to GUNS not just LR fire 3-4 rounds to get used to it and then they kill a deer at 700+ on the 4th shot theyve ever shot with that gun. For a true static gun Id wanna be in the high teens to low 20s in weight. Either the savage lapua or even better build a savage on the edge that will shoot lights out with a REAL barrel for under 1k and then buy a NF.
Keep in mind Im a recoil wuss and I hunt in the windiest area in NA and like the weight for no other reason than the wind manhandling the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.