Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

anyone want to answer my previous post ?

I wouldn't seat any deeper, there would be no benefit. You would soon be sacrificing powder capacity too. I think you need to decide if it has to be a magazine feed or not. If not, do the Berger seating depth test starting at the rifling and work your way out and see where your groups are the best. If it must be a magazine feeder I would leave it seated where it is and work with your charge and even primers to see where you can tighten things up accuracy wise. You might experiment with different powders too.

anyone want to answer my previous post ?

As stated in the previous post, I would also try to optimize at your magazine length. Due to the hybrid design, you would have a decent chance of being able to develop a good load. If you could not get good results at that length, I would try seating closer to the lands. If that worked I would either use it as a single shot. If using the magazine is important to you, you could try the 300 gr Berger which should be able to be seated closer, or into the lands with the Savage. It does in my Savage FCP and know others that have as well, and produce excellent performance.IMO.

I finally had to try loading 300 Rum .020 off the lands. I was always hesitant because the bullet didn't seem seated enough.
Shot .340 group with 92 grains of Retumbo out of a stock 700 rem at 100.
Might of tighter groups had a 14mph cross wind which spread the group to 1.125 at 200 yards.
Worked really well and am impressed.
thanks

Hey ive skimmed though most of these post looking for seating with the dies, but im reading in other sites that one that is reloading the vld should use a redding vld die to seat the bullets? The youtube video i saw on berger bullets vld, they mention it. What do you guys think? think that the standard die would work. Im building another 7stw with a 28" douglas and i dont want to do this half a$$ed. I wil be shooting 180 vld and the 180 hybrids with retumbo and r215. Thanks guys

I got the best precision and accuracy out of the discontinued .257 caliber bullets. Tired of playing that game...I feel like I own an Edsel or something.:)

This helps a lot!

As a newcomer to the world of reloading I apreciate the methodical and rational explination.

Looking forward to trying out the VLD's and see how the perform!

95 VLD clearly state to use 1x9 twist, however my kreiger 18.5" #4, 10" twist has repeatedly shot .25" 4 shot groups at 100yd.

MY M700 .243 Win likes:
95VLD (hunting)
WW brass
Lee collet neck size
34.0 varget
CCI-200
2.815" coal
Can't recall velocity, don't have notes with me, but I know it was a tad below 3000.
Outstanding accuracy at 100yd. Haven't tried further YET.

(Lee collet die produced better results than my redding bushing die)

Just thought I would share my 10" twist results for the "required" 9" twist vld.

Of course YMMV.

Berger's recommended 9tw is correct.
That a 10tw works for your conditions is not a revelation, and it's not as safe, and probably not as good as 9tw(even under your conditions).
You might notice this when it cools down a bit.

Berger's recommended 9tw is correct.
That a 10tw works for your conditions is not a revelation, and it's not as safe, and probably not as good as 9tw(even under your conditions).
You might notice this when it cools down a bit.

I understand shooting accurate 95vld's in my 10tw tube is not unique and the 9tw is better, but Could you elaborate on the "not as safe"? Colder weather?
I certainly do not want an unsafe condition.

PS. The 105 amax would tumble at 100yd with 3-6" groups. Just awful.

Not as safe w/regard to stability and accuracy through various conditions challenging to stability.

When air density increases stability decreases. Colder temps present denser air. When a bullet here or there releases from the muzzle badly or with imbalance, a marginal twist rate is the last thing you need.
Full stability never harms, but marginal stability can.

Great Thread, just tagging on to Follow. But I did load and shoot to set up my LRKM in 338 Edge+P with 300 GR Berger Elite Hunters. I followed Shawn Carlocks LR Reload Video and it all worked out well with minimal Shooting on a new rifle. It really SHOOTS now! I took his LR Class and we went all the way out to 2600 Yds with our Edges in the class. It was a Great Class, I have a 338 Allen Mag also, and I had shot out to 1800 yds prior to getting the LRKM. The class really helped with situations in the field out farther. I shoot both out past 2500 now for practice, Both incredible Rifles and by 2 great builders of the finest LR rigs.

Thanks, Mtmtrapper1!
Interesting to read, and "envy" you a little that you got to take the course. I have "only" shot mine out to 1540meters, as the field has allowed.
I am very curious how you experience the 300gr. Berger Elite Hunters' performance on game. Please take time to share, if/when you can. I'll be keeping an eye out.........
terjeness