Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

dcon

Once the seating depth is determined, does it stay the same for other similar powders? Or does that need to be reestablished with each powder change?

Greyfox

Once the seating depth is determined, does it stay the same for other similar powders? Or does that need to be reestablished with each powder change?
It has generally stayed the same with my rifles when changing powders.

txsendero

I know this thread is about the VLD Bullets, but does the same seating depth testing apply to their "Classic Hunter" Hybrid bullets. Has anyone found that the seating depth window with those are also approximately .030" wide?
I answered my own question. I never did a complete seating depth test on my 7 Rem Mag since it was already shooting pretty decently just seating .020" from touching lands. I did the full test as Berger recommends for the VLDs with the 168 gr Classic Hunters. The worst 3 shot groups were about 1". Ended up with 6 shots in a .410" group at .065 off the lands.

jbs2014

Did anyone load the 300 grain Bergers in the 338-378? I have starting load data with retumbo but I am interested in how far off the lands I should seat them. As I understand it weatherby chambers and the whole free bore thing that weatherby has make things a bit different than normal cartridges.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank You

Greyfox

Great thread! Question on the 6.5 130 grain hybrids. Are those suitable for deer hunting?
There have been quite a few posts indicating that the 130 Hybrids perform well on deer sized game at mid ranges. While I have not used them for hunting, my 6.5x47 Lapua using the 130 Hybrids at a muzzle velocity of 2900FPS is still moving at 1900FPS with energy of 1030ft/pounds at 700 yards(4500 altitude/45F). I would have no problem using them to this distance.
Here is an article that includes terminal performance on game.

http://panhandleprecision.com/berger-130-ar-hybrid-load-data-performance-evaluation/

RICHARD PERRETT

Thanks Len for the good info. After playing with coal on many different calibers and bullet designs I have found that the most accurate hunting bullet does not always set .020 off the lands and contact point of the bullet. Some bullet designs like more of a running start then others. My 25-06 prefers a .080 jump with the particular bullet I use. I have always been skeptical of using VLD's because of the associated "warnings" of were to set the VLD off the rifling. Since the VLD is a long bullet and if the loads are not to compressed they should work through more standard length magazines. I will now try some VLD's . THX again for the informative info.

nksmfamjp

I basically agree with the Berger method, but I find the sweet spot in my rifle to be ~0.020” wide.

I’m seating at 0.020” jump as that was best after 2 rounds of oal development. The powder charge didn’t need changed.

i haven’t tried much jam, so maybe there is more work to do!

Willoughby

Marine Sniper:

I've got a .300 Win. Mag. (I know you have a .300 Wby.) I'll be loading up with 210 VLD's soon and was curious what flavor of powder you're using in you Berger 210 load and your Nosle 200 grian AB load. Thanks
I use 77gr H1000 with 210 Bergers jammed works great

Trending threads

Recent Posts