Getting started

Finch

Starting to gather reloading supplies a little at a time since everything is getting scares. I have I custom built by a local smith in 280 Ackley that I just used out west for mule deer in SD. Loved every bit of the hunt and the riffle but at 14 lbs it was a little much to tote around all day. Came home from the trip and bought a Cooper M92 in the same cal. Back to the main question. I picked up IMR 4831SC powder and CCI large riffle primers magnum 250. Will these primers be good and safe to use ? I'm shooting 140 and 160 gr accubonds. I have bought any other components or a press yet. I've looked online and can't find much on the proper application on these primers. Just don't want to hurt myself or either riffle.

You don't need to worry about the primers causing any mechanical problems. And they might work great for your loas.

What part of SD did you hunt?

You don't need to worry about the primers causing any mechanical problems. And they might work great for your loas.

What part of SD did you hunt?
Great thanks. Just north of Wall about a hour

Attachments

• 22C12F34-BC70-4037-9A2C-BC99FD738DFD.jpeg
    22C12F34-BC70-4037-9A2C-BC99FD738DFD.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 67
Just that, they'll work. Not what I would pick if I had a choice, but I'd run them if it was all I had. You should be able to find a good load with them. I believe a few guys prefer magnum primers in the 280ai, so who knows. Most of what you'll find on this are opinions, which is all I can offer. I've had better luck with with 210m's with the 280ai, but I've spent more time with them as well.
I think the 160 class bullets are best for for the 280ai, h4831sc has been my go to in this one.
As mentioned, it might be tough to keep your sd's in check, but depending on how far your shooting, that might not be that big of a deal.
Not a safety issue for you or the rifle, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

They'll work fine. The ones who use Hammer bullets load them with magnum primers, and Steve the owner recommends them for their bullets.

Just like any other load development for whatever bullet you choose, start low and work your way up, you might see some pressure before reaching max loads with them.

Also, very nice mulie.

Stay safe

Did you mean H4831sc? There is no IMR 4831sc that I am aware of. If so you have the perfect combination of components. H4831sc and CCI 250's have been the best for me. In 3 different 280 AI's with 140 and 160 grain bullets. Tried about 8 different powders and 5 different primmers.

Did you mean H4831sc? There is no IMR 4831sc that I am aware of. If so you have the perfect combination of components. H4831sc and CCI 250's have been the best for me. In 3 different 280 AI's with 140 and 160 grain bullets. Tried about 8 different powders and 5 different primmers.
Yes H4831SC is what I ment. As I'm watching all these YouTube videos I'm getting confused a little. Probably going to buy a MEC single stage press. As for the right dies I'm confused. Like how do I order a set? I'm just using this set up for hunting I'm not a bench shooter and want to keep it simple. Full length sizing Die? How much neck tension for final crimp ? Again I haven't bought anything but components not tools dies or press.

I like full length die sets. Forster, Redding, or Hornady. You will want a dial caliper to measure things. Will want to look at how to measure and bump your shoulder back around .002". You can measure neck tension by taking the difference of the neck before and after seating a bullet. But to change it you would need bushing dies. For just starting out just run with standard dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts