Getting started

SamuelBerryhill308: I can remember many years ago when I was in your shoes, so I unnerstand.

You can find some good equipment on ebay if you don't mind buying there. Lots of reputable shops advertise on ebay and have tons of equipment for sale. I started on a RCBS Jr Press back in the late 60s and my original press is still used. I have added 2 more Jr presses and a coupla of the old cast iron Rock Chuckers to the service on my bench.

Just look over the listings good and only buy from reputable dealers. You can tell by the reviews as to which ones are more trust worthy.

My comments about the Hornady One Shot are based on my reloading buddies experiences, and they have all had stuck cases in sizing dies when using it. The consensus is Imperial Sizing Wax is one of the best on the market. There are other good ones, but IMO, One Shot is not one of them.

I am certainly not telling you what to do, as that is your own decisions, just offering my experience and observations.

There's a difference between needs and wants! I've been reloading for 30 years maybe 35 and still haven't purchased oal or coal gauge. I adjust dies to where bullet shoots best and leave them alone. If I change bullets I adjust seating. I'm sure there's more technical ways but it works fine for me. I've never tumbled, neck turned and a bunch or other time consuming stuff I'm sure the pros say must do!
Thanks for info I'm wondering how do you clean your brass with out a tumbler and neck Turner?

I got a frankford arsenals platinum rotary tumbler I wet tumble with brass juice and stainless steel chips the brass comes out shining like jewelry then I put the brass in a vibrating tumbler with corn cob and to dry it. l only turn necks on wildcat calibers everyone has their own way so will you

Thanks for info I'm wondering how do you clean your brass with out a tumbler and neck Turner?
I have been using Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler with SS pins. I have not tried SS chips, but I am going to buy and try. I have stopped cleaning my rifle brass because removing carbon from inside necks started causing neck weld on my reloads. You will find some controversy over on this phenomenon on LRH. I know that my groups opened up on proven loads after I started wet cleaning my rifle brass. I would rather have accurate reloads with dirtier looking brass than shinny inaccurate hand loads.

I am still wet cleaning my pistol brass, but will go back corn media vibrate clean my rifle brass. And then only after 3 or 4 firings. Another complete debatable topic! Welcome to the insanity called reloading!

I got a frankford arsenals platinum rotary tumbler I wet tumble with brass juice and stainless steel chips the brass comes out shining like jewelry then I put the brass in a vibrating tumbler with corn cob and to dry it. l only turn necks on wildcat calibers everyone has their own way so will you
To answer you question, before I stared wet tumbling or media vibrating my brass. I would just wipe brass with cotton cloth. Tiring on old arthritic hands is why I stared using tumblers and vibrating media. I have used light degreaser on the cloth to break carbon on necks. Brass does not need to be jewelry clean shinny. I always wiped outside of brass before running through my sizing die. I also de-prime all my fried cases with Lee de-caping die and then clean case and primer pockets.

You really do not absolutely need to have tumblers to clean brass. And from my experience wet tumbling can cause issues on bottleneck cases!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.