Getting started

For funnels you'll need a couple of ones or a set with adapters so you can switch from say 308 to the 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag you plan on getting, you'll need different ones. I like the Lyman Chamfer and Deburring tools, preferably the VLD Chamfer one, they work very well.
MTM makes a good funnel with drop tube and various ends for different cartridges reasonable price as well. Thumbs up on the lyman case prep tools best in my experience.

So... I'm currently quarantined because I'm sick and don't qualify for a test. However, if you can wait until I'm out of covid jail I have:

Le resizing lube (Never opened)
Lee safety prime kit -works with all Lee presses post 06' I believe (Used)
Lee deluxe case trimmer (needs cartridge specific dies)(Never opened)
Lee safety powder scale (never opened)

Nothing fancy, but you are welcome to them if you pay shipping. No offense taken if you aren't interested :)

So... I'm currently quarantined because I'm sick and don't qualify for a test. However, if you can wait until I'm out of covid jail I have:

Nothing fancy, but you are welcome to them if you pay shipping. No offense taken if you aren't interested :)

One of the many reasons why I like this site, always good people willing to help out and thensome. Very nice of you Sir.

I'd be interested for sure

I've had success with lee Hornady Rcbs and Redding dies. Sure you can go down a rabbit hole and I have, but you don't have to to have great results.

one thing I like about lee dies is they are affordable and usually come with a shell holder. With Hornadys they often do promos where you can get free bullets with the purchase

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had success with lee Hornady Rcbs and Redding dies. Sure you can go down a rabbit hole and I have, but you don't have to to have great results.

one thing I like about lee dies is they are affordable and usually come with a shell holder. With Hornadys they often do promos where you can get free bullets with the purchase
Yea I've seen alot of promos from hornady in the couple of shooters supply catalogs I get

I didn't name a press but I credit my new RCBS Summit with producing some good straight ammo. New generation from my old rockchucker, you can pick one up from Natchez for $199. on sale right now.

Don't forget measuring tools- calipers, headspace measuring, etc. Also, make sure not matter what you have a GOOD beam balance scales. That allows you ensure if you have a digital scale or powder dispenser, you have a precise amount of powder. I use an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme for my precision reloading. I also have a Lee Turret Press more "rapid" reloading - pistol and volume Rifle (like .223) type loading. everything is measured. Another useful item to me is a set of Lyman Ammo Checkers - that way I know that if it fits the checker, it will shoot! And hve fun, research, research and YouTube vides!!! God luck and have fun!!!!

Really, to get started all you need is a press, scale, standard full length die set, case trimmer, dial calipers and some case lube. Learn basic reloading first. For normal deer hunting you may never need to go any further. But as I tell anyone getting started there is literally no limit on equipment and technique in reloading. You can go as far as you want. If you want to buy used stuff the press and case trimmer are good but I would buy new dies unless your getting them from someone you know. If there were one place that I would make an exception upfront and go high quality it would be on the dies. I just find it saves time and components to have dials on seating dies right from the git go. It will make adjusting seating depth much easier when you get in to phase 2 and start looking at jump. At that point you'll need the get your OAL gauge and bullet comparator. But to get started most published data just states a base to tip measurement.

Hello all I'm am wanting to get started reloading and need some guidance on what all I will need I know I'll need a press and does and scale and oal gauge and coal gauge but not sure what else I'll need and I'm also trying to find mast stuff used as well

Get a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press to start and the customer service is excellent l. I like Redding Dies and the customer service. Get a nice basic media type brass cleaner. I have a media brass cleaner from Cabellas I paid $45 for and it's lasted me over 10 years now and over 10000 pieces of brass. I have a RCBS digital scale and also a RCBS beam scale and both serve me well. I use the beam scale when doing load developing and the digital self feed scale when standard loading. I just finished redoing my bench and upgrading some. Get case gauges as well as they save you from some serious headaches. Get a hand priming to by RCBS.

44F2241E-B4CD-4929-A38F-4673052F0A28.jpeg
F8B49370-6036-40A9-86D7-99BC083D8E8E.jpeg

Last edited:
I always recommend you start by reading Handloading for Competition by Glen D. Zediker. This book will give you a recommendation for tools, why you need them and what to do with them. You can substitute other brands for Glens recommended brands and save money or spend more. This will be the best money you spend. You should know what, when and why, when you finish the book. It changed the way I handload even after 50 years of handing loading.

Hello all I'm am wanting to get started reloading and need some guidance on what all I will need I know I'll need a press and does and scale and oal gauge and coal gauge but not sure what else I'll need and I'm also trying to find mast stuff used as well
There's a difference between needs and wants! I've been reloading for 30 years maybe 35 and still haven't purchased oal or coal gauge. I adjust dies to where bullet shoots best and leave them alone. If I change bullets I adjust seating. I'm sure there's more technical ways but it works fine for me. I've never tumbled, neck turned and a bunch or other time consuming stuff I'm sure the pros say must do!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.