Getting started in sniper/tactical matches

redman27

Does anybody know how to get started in sniper or tactical rifle matches. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and would appreciate any information a member can provide me.

Does anybody know how to get started in sniper or tactical rifle matches. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and would appreciate any information a member can provide me.
Get up with the folks at Calguns. there are plenty of those guys who are in your area who live and breath for those kinds of compititions.

There is a big group of guys out of Sacramento. Look at Snipershide and look for a guy name Vu. I think his the main guy in that area and seems like someone that would help.

To get started this is what I did.
Most tactical matches that I started shooting would not let me shoot anything larger than 30-06 power. Most matches have to shoot from 100 yrd to 1000 and the larger guns are to hard on the steel. (thats what they told me).

I found a good deal on a rem pss in 308. If your shooting the tactical game, this seems the caliber of choice. You can shoot it fast all day, barrel life is good.

Find a load that shoots good. Most matches you are shooting MOA targets. Get a load that shoots .75 and just get a good drop chart. You will be shooting targets at strange distances.

Next do not worry about all the tactical "COOL" stuff. you can be competitive with a .75 moa gun and a good drop chart. The name of the game is first round hits. If you hit all targets on the first round, you will be in the top 50% if not better.

I highly reccomend just showing up and shooting. You will learn a ton very quickly and know what you need to work on for next time.

I was in your spot not to long ago and now they are the most fun I have. It is the closest I can get to simulating hunting.

Willys

I'm here in Sacramento, just gearing up for the tactical match shooting also. I'll be shooting with the norcal group at Sacramento valley shooting center.

send me a message if you're coming up here. I can shoot some Fridays and weekends.

I just did the paperwork on my surgeon action last week, everything else is already at the gunsmith...

Hey guy's, new here, I'm looking for long range comps in the east? 600 yards and up, to let you know what I've got going, a Rem. model 7, 300. Rem. short action ultra mag, I'm loading 165's and 180's, getting 3150 fps. and 3200, cheapo bypod, Leopold scope, it's giving me 2" groups at 600 yards
Thanks, Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.