Getting started in reloading

SCdeerhunter

Trying to get into the reloading game and would like some input on what all to get so hopefully I can avoid having to upgrade later on. Would a kit be the best way to go or piece it all together? I've looked at some of the rcbs kits and some of them look pretty decent. Was looking at this one in particular http://rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and-Kits/Single-Stage/Explorer-Plus-Reloading-Kit.aspx.
For the time being I'd only be reloading for the 6.5 creedmoor. Thanks in advance guys!

My suggestion is for starting out is get an RCBS kit. In the beginning take it slow with just the basics you can over think and overwhelm yourself in the beginning.
A mentor can help and overtime upgrade (neckturning, electronic scales, bushing dies etc.)

My suggestion is for starting out is get an RCBS kit. In the beginning take it slow with just the basics you can over think and overwhelm yourself in the beginning.
A mentor can help and overtime upgrade (neckturning, electronic scales, bushing dies etc.)
Yeah I wish I knew someone who reloaded but unfortunately I don't. I've watched some YouTube videos but that's about it. But I agree with you about starting slow. I just want to learn the basics first then slowly start trying more and more

If you ever come up to Columbia I'd be glad to show you the basics.

I think this set is a little better value it's the one I started with 15 years ago and I still use the measure, scale and press

Edit: mine came with the 5-0-5 scale

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/9...GEESpxVCXKVVsmpch123CWrAHYFxt99BoC2kkQAvD_BwE

Go ahead and pony up the money for the Forester bench rest dies you'll wind up with them eventually. I like their ultra micrometer die better than any of the others I've tried but it doesn't look like they offer it in a kit anymore.

If you ever come up to Columbia I'd be glad to show you the basics.

I think this set is a little better value it's the one I started with 15 years ago and I still use the measure, scale and press

Edit: mine came with the 5-0-5 scale

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/9...GEESpxVCXKVVsmpch123CWrAHYFxt99BoC2kkQAvD_BwE

Go ahead and pony up the money for the Forester bench rest dies you'll wind up with them eventually. I like their ultra micrometer die better than any of the others I've tried but it doesn't look like they offer it in a kit anymore.
And that kit is half the price of the one I was looking at! Can't go wrong with that. I may have to take you up on that offer one day too! It's one of those things that seeing and doing would lessen the learning curve a bit. Thanks!

And that kit is half the price of the one I was looking at! Can't go wrong with that. I may have to take you up on that offer one day too! It's one of those things that seeing and doing would lessen the learning curve a bit. Thanks!

You will need to pick up a dial caliper, if you decide you'd rather have an electronic scale I've got one (Hornaday I think) you can have, nothing wrong with it I just never use it.

A comparator is a good purchase as well, but not necessary starting out.

You will need to pick up a dial caliper, if you decide you'd rather have an electronic scale I've got one (Hornaday I think) you can have, nothing wrong with it I just never use it.

A comparator is a good purchase as well, but not necessary starting out.
What's a good brand for calipers? I know you want a quality one. And wow, that's really generous man. May have to take you up on. That offer as well. And what's the purpose of a comparator?

What's a good brand for calipers? I know you want a quality one. And wow, that's really generous man. May have to take you up on. That offer as well. And what's the purpose of a comparator?

I use a Lyman dial caliper, I've replaced it once because I dropped the first one too many times. I like an analog dial over digital readout, I trust it more.

A comparator is primarily used for measuring bullet seating depths off of the ogive which is more consistent than the tips, you can also use them to measure fired cases and set your sizing dies up. Like I said initially, a comparator isn't necessary right out of the gate.

If you bring some once fired brass and the rifle with you we can measure it all up here and you can get an idea of what you're after.

I would get the rock chucker kit and add to it. The rock chucker press is better than the reloader 5 press. On top of the kit I would add a bullet comparator and bump gauge from Hornady, Redding imperial lube, a Lyman case prep station (well worth the money) a powder stand, a good set of dial not digital calipers, a case trimmer, and a tumbler. I would also upgrade the scale to a 5-10 or 10-10 scale. I'm not a big fan of the electronic scales but some are and can give there recommendations on them.
Disclaimer: reloading is not cheaper, you just get to shoot more for the same money. I would plan on spending around $1000 between equipment and components to get started.
Are you still moving to Colorado?

I would get the rock chucker kit and add to it. The rock chucker press is better than the reloader 5 press. On top of the kit I would add a bullet comparator and bump gauge from Hornady, Redding imperial lube, a Lyman case prep station (well worth the money) a powder stand, a good set of dial not digital calipers, a case trimmer, and a tumbler. I would also upgrade the scale to a 5-10 or 10-10 scale. I'm not a big fan of the electronic scales but some are and can give there recommendations on them.
Disclaimer: reloading is not cheaper, you just get to shoot more for the same money. I would plan on spending around $1000 between equipment and components to get started.
Are you still moving to Colorado?
Yeah the common consensus is to go with the rock chucker kit. Think that's what I'm going to wind up doing. Then just piece the rest together as I go. And yeah, moving in April or May. The wife is pregnant and wants to wait til afterwards to move. Can't wait to get out there! But not really sure I wanna buy all this stuff before moving. Just more stuff to haul 1600 miles across country lol

I have been reloading for many years, but am still a novice.

Dial calipers and balance beams are harder to "screw something up" than digital, I have found. They also give me more visual feedback and helped me learn a lot about how much difference there is in the weight of a ball or two of powder as you trickle.

I have an electronic scale now, but always second check with balance beam to confirm.

The RCBS kit above is the one I have and is rock solid.

Learn all you can, get started, be patient, be safe, and enjoy!!

Yeah the common consensus is to go with the rock chucker kit. Think that's what I'm going to wind up doing. Then just piece the rest together as I go. And yeah, moving in April or May. The wife is pregnant and wants to wait til afterwards to move. Can't wait to get out there! But not really sure I wanna buy all this stuff before moving. Just more stuff to haul 1600 miles across country lol
If I remember correctly you were moving to Durango? If so, and you don't end up getting the kit before you move I will help you get going once you get here. Congratulations on the baby!

RCBS all the way,that was my choice 40 yrs ago n i'm very happy..... reading up is your Friend n Dis is the place,Congrats to all 3 of you !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.