Getting Started -- $4,200 Budget, Western NY

With your budget I would recommend a GA Precision rifle and a sightron or vortex pst in 6-24x50. These rifles are guaranteed .5 moa and will lag you a lifetime. If you get back stateside and decide you don't want to drop that much $$ on a rille the this Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range - Remington Centerfire Rifles, should fit the bill nicely. I held on yesterday at the local gunshot and it was a fine looking rifle.

TenXix,

Semper Fi brother...thanks for your service...

Just my 2 cents...I'm a former USMC 2111/2112 Armorer/RTE Armorer as well as PMI and Western Div Shooter with a little helo door gunnin thrown in too...

With your budget you could have TWO absolute banging setups...

A lightweight .308 built on a Savage action with a lightweight stock and a very good glass as well for under $1000 or so...best thing of all is you could build it yourself and pass it along to your kids...

AND again building it yourself...

A Heavy Barreled Long Action chambered in 300WM with a high end stock and glass...

Savage LA $325
Recoil Lug and TRigger $150
CDI Bottom Metal with AICS Mags and inletting $300
Premium Stock (McMillan, Manners) $600-750
Premium Barrel $350-$500
Harris Bipod $125
Mount and Rings $125
Scope Leupold Mk IV $1100 NEW or little more for one of the Huskemaws seen here...

Spend the rest on Brass and components and shoot the **** out of it...

There is nothing quite as satisfying as hearing the UPS truck delivering more gun parts and then building it yourself...you can pretty much ONLY do that with a Savage.

Or you can spend $5K on a custom one off rifle...

Anyway your choice bro...lot of satisfaction building your own...

Again...Semper Fi...keep your *** low and your neck on a swivel...come home safe...

Capt Beach

Oh...and I just loved punching holes into extremely tiny groups with my $1000 Savage 300WM sitting next to $5000 guns that didnt shoot any better...

Best 100yd group with a Savage 110FP 300WM was .276" 3 shot and .385" 5 shot group, all with a tuned and lapped FACTORY GUN with a NIKON hunting scope. Yes I was cheating...I was using hand loads...LOL...

A lightweight .308 built on a Savage action with a lightweight stock and a very good glass as well for under $1000 or so...best thing of all is you could build it yourself and pass it along to your kids...

AND again building it yourself...

A Heavy Barreled Long Action chambered in 300WM with a high end stock and glass...

Savage LA $325
Recoil Lug and TRigger $150
CDI Bottom Metal with AICS Mags and inletting $300
Premium Stock (McMillan, Manners) $600-750
Premium Barrel $350-$500
Harris Bipod $125
Mount and Rings $125
Scope Leupold Mk IV $1100 NEW or little more for one of the Huskemaws seen here...

Spend the rest on Brass and components and shoot the **** out of it...

There is nothing quite as satisfying as hearing the UPS truck delivering more gun parts and then building it yourself...you can pretty much ONLY do that with a Savage.

Or you can spend $5K on a custom one off rifle...

Anyway your choice bro...lot of satisfaction building your own...

Again...Semper Fi...keep your *** low and your neck on a swivel...come home safe...

Capt Beach

+1 Here's my Savage I built in .308. If you are stuck shooting factory ammo, there is a ton of Military M118LR and Military Target ammo to get you shooting cheaply with accuracy. Roughly weighs in at 12-13 lbs.

Johnspics3-10-11025.jpg

Shoots like this... 3shots at 100
img005.jpg

At 718yds 3 shots
1101111310-00.jpg

The only thing I didn't do is put the break on. I don't own a lathe to time the break.

If I were starting from scratch having it all to do over again and I was budgeting ~ 4k, I would go with a Cooper 6.5X284 or 264 wm and a Zeiss or similar scope.....

But the other ideas and the Savage suggestions are definitely good ones. I just like a more traditional aesthetic look...personal preference or prejudice if you will:)

But My main pursuit is Whitetail....might do 300 or 338 WM if I were after Elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.