Getting scope crosshairs straight?

OP, pretty sure you are using the tool below. I use it also. If the scope rings are not dead nuts on top of the receiver and you have to tilt the stock left or right to get the scope bell perfectly over the barrel, then the stock itself is not straight on your shoulder or palm of your hand and you tend to tilt the rifle so the stock is correct.
If that is happening, don't use the tool, just level the stock to your world and then align the crosshairs to a plum bob, like mentioned above and it will probably resolve the issue.

View attachment 206472

Yes that is the tool that I am using. I will try what you have suggested.

It's a Ruger 77/22 and the bottom where the magazine is flat, that might work with a flat piece of steel and a level. Although this is a 77/22 I am also experiencing this with my other Ruger 77 tang safety rifles. I suspect that it is me canting my head to pick the scope up. I'm concerned about getting the cross hairs parallel with the centerlines of the scope and the bore, that's the purpose of the "One Hole Groups" tool.
It doesn't hurt to have a number of specialized tools that aid perfection of a task.

I bought a Wheeler Level Level years ago. But, recently, I was in the process of leveling a flat bottomed 1917 Enfield barreled receiver. The strip magnet on the bigger action level has gotten weak. So I pried it off, (the strip magnet) intending to replace it. The structure underneath is open with partitions. I got some 1/4" x 1/8" magnets which I stacked in between the partitions and super glued them inside . Then just glued the old strip magnet back in place. That alteration enables the bigger action level to stick very strongly to the bottom of the flat bottom Enfield receiver with the level upright/visible. No extra piece of steel needed. Before the magnet wasn't strong enough to hold and any slight movement would cause it to fall off. It will work with any flat bottomed receiver , Mauser, Winchester , Enfield etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.