Getting ready to upgrade (starting from scratch)

middleofnowhere

I currently have a Lee hand press for loading 308 Winchester and want to get a bench mount press.

I want to essentially start over with a new press or whole kit.

Redding's Big Boss is advertised as Made in USA, what about the other brands like RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Lee? Are all the presses pretty much foreign made now?

Scale, my current cheap beam scale is a pain. Any recommendations for precision?

Should I consider a turret press or stick with single stage?

It lloks like I will mainly be loading 30 Nosler, .308 Win, 338 Lapua Mag and maybe 45/70.

I like my RCBS press and my 505 scale, but I don't know if the current ones are still good quaility or where they are made. If you want to save a little cash (to be put towards gun stuff, of course), you can often find really good older presses and other equipment used.

I've bought nearly all of my core reloading equipment that way and I think that besides saving some money, with the ever disappearing quality standards in todays products I also stand a pretty good chance of getting a better unit.

I second looking for used stuff there's a lot of guys that get everything try reloading for a year then the stuff just sits.

If wanting to go new or just wanting to get the best money can buy regardless get a Forster Co-ax (definitely still made in USA too).

If wanting a turret press I hear good things and know the Redding T7 press has a good following.

I too have been researching this reloading thing. It looks to me that
a Forster Co-Ax is probably the best choice in presses.
And a single stage should be more accurate? The fewer moving parts the better and less chance for misalignment...An then you need someone to teach/help you I'm sure there things you learn over time that a beginner doesn't know?...BUT with the total cost of everything needed which is in
the 2 grand ballpark a place like Copper Creek doesn't sound too bad?

Last edited:
I have an old Lyman turret press, back when they used to be painted red, I also have a Lyman single stage for my big 45-120 sharps, with experience, I can say the turret press is the only way to go in my opinion. It is a pain having to reset each die every time you move from sizing to seating. If I had to start over with new, I would go with the Redding Turret press, you will enjoy moving from one die to the next with each stroke of the plunger to final bullet. As for powder scales, I have both balance beam and RCBS electronic, the electronic is faster, but you had better check the weight with a balance beam to verify that is the correct weight. Especially if you are trying out new loads. I have found my electronic scale will throw a charge a half grain off at times. What I do in my reloading session is use both with the balance beam being the final. My balance beam is a very old Lyman, a friend of mine gave me after his father passed away, I am not sure of the date it was manufactured, but guessing, I would say 50's or 60's. Good luck on your search.

I run two single stage press one older rcbs rockcrusher and a redding big boss ,& use and electric scale and constantly monitor it for zero . Shell holders are interchangeable . Changing dies is a snap and it keeps me Sharp n thinking .

I had a redding turret press prior and rock chucker. I now have a Co-Ax and absolutely love everything about it will never buy another press unless they make a C0-ax 2 or something. Was running RCBS chargemaster but upgraded into a A&D FX120i, and again absolutely love it. There are plenty of options for good scales now days. Best of luck

I used a hornady single stage lock and load press and a hornady automatic powder dispenser thing. Maybe ignorance is bliss but I like them both. With the lock and load press, you leave the bushings and simply swap dies whenever, takes a second

Hornady does have a great system with those bushings. That is the main reason I went with Co-Ax is I love the floating die and floating case and don't have to use shell holders again, one less thing to keep up with. Hornady has really step their game up in the last few years.

I use a super old CH press. It has 3 different places to put dies. I like it. Super heavy and super smooth.

If I was starting from scratch on an upgrade, I would check out the MEC Marksman. Just did a review on it and enjoyed it more than the RCBS press. However, the RCBS kit can be had for a really good deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.