Getting kids involved in the outdoors.

jessej

Would this be the correct section to start a thread about getting kids involved in the outdoors? Hunting, fishing, etc etc....
Share stories And pictures provoking the next generation to have a love of the outdoors as do we. And hopefully motivating us to do a better job of sharing the outdoors with others.

Don't know if this the best spot but it needs to be done,getting kids involved now will make sportsman out of them both Boys and girls.
I know several women that hunt so it was done at some point with them and personally think it's high time it's done everywhere!
God bless you for bringing this up.

Well, not to hijack your thread, as I think we need all of these that we can get, but this one was started a week ago for exactly this purpose.

I use a pellet and daisy BB gun to practice off hand shooting at home and my neighbors granddaughters 7 and 9 asked me one day if they could shoot it too. After getting their parents permission they shot the BB gun and pellet rifle to their hearts content. Fast forward a couple of years later they are still hooked on shooting the rifles. Have not taken them to the range yet to shoot my 22's because of timing and demographics but I know it will be an easy transition for the both of them and they seem excited.

I remember very well my exposure to the fishing & hunting. I was raised in a tenement in a big east coast city. My dad was stretched to the limit in keeping everything together & working but took some time to take me fishing at nearby ponds for tiny bluegills & perches on weekends. My uncle did fish saltwater for stripers & bluefishes and finally I got to go fishing in salt water for something that weighed over 6 ounces. Can't describe the thrill of a 2 foot long striper hitting my yellow Atom Plug. Hunting was the next adventure but firearms were discouraged in the big city. A 6 foot length of 5/8 ID aluminum tubing and darts made from 1/4 inch dowels drilled to accept sharpened steel coat hanger wire with wrapped conical paper ends made blow gun darts that would easily penetrate 1/4 ply wood. Blunt shock darts were made using dowels fitted with cap nuts & other scrap metal. The usual quarry were squirrels in a near-by private school 100 acre property. Sling shots followed, made from laminated 1/4 plywood & surgical tubing with pouches cut from discarded leather purses. Ammo was from discarded ball bearings from a near by auto repair garage & 1/4 inch lead split shot sinkers. Finally, a Mossberg bolt action tube magazine .22, used occasionally on rats at a private industrial dump site. Work was started on a cross bow using an auto leaf spring section, to be cocked with a auto jack, but that project was ended by supervisory safety concerns. Sort of wish I grew up in rural America but I made out OK.

Recent Posts