Getting into the game... first rifle?

deuce2

Hello all!,
I am an avid hunter and love everything about long range shooting and hunting and the sciences behind it. I am currently a senior in college and am looking to get a rifle.... I am very knowledgeable about long rang slug guns and optics but I am looking to start in the rifle game. So I am looking to find a rifle to shoot varmints and some paper. Im thinking a .223 would be a overall good round and reasonable to shoot and I will be factory ammo shooting, but I want to get everyones suggestions on a rifle of this caliber I just wanna hear everyones suggestions thanks!

BTW Im looking about a $550 dollar gun store price... since I have a FFL dealer in the family so probably looking to get about $100 bucks off sticker price. I am just looking for a good out of box accuracy that I can build on in the future!

Happy Hunting! gun)

you don't say what state or if you reload. in that price range i would get a REM 700 sps varmint.

I second the rem 700 sps varmint. I'd get it in 308 though. Good factory ammo available n good caliber to learn LR with

Ya im in Indiana so no big game with a rifle.... and no just factory loads... maybe some day to reload. I do like the 700's they are tried and true.
Any other suggestions?

Savage, Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard to name a few. Or just wait for a good used one come up in the classifieds and buy that. I can attest for the addiction of building long range rifles, it is almost as much fun as shooting them. I have seen some really nice full custom rifles go pretty cheap on this site. Sometimes they are mine:D.

Brent

Which savages models are prefered? I know its personal preferance but anyone have a suggestion?

I am more knowledgeable about the 700's with models and features....

Btw any one had any good news with the new savage edges? i know they are a lower priced rifle and dont have an accu-trigger but heard they are shooters out of the box.... a hunting mag I read recently did a review and he got a .223 in the edge to shoot sub moa at 100 out of the box with factory ammo.... somewhere like .6 or .7

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.