Getting into long range hunting ?'s 6.5x284

bigben

Hello i recently rediscovered this site after joining years ago. This past summer i really got into ghog hunting again and it really got me interested in hunting at long ranges for more then just ghogs.

Here is some video from this past years hunts. I didnt think about filming till i was almost done shooting for the year. Most of the misses where when i was learning clicks on my .243. I usually shoot a .223 and use a nikon bdc ret for it.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/bigben8011/ghog.mp4

I also just bought a 6.5x.284 norma model 116 savage. I dont like the stock and would like to replace it. I was thinking the choate stocks but not sure if i want to go that route yet. I got the gun tho for mainly long range deer, ghogs , and bear. I got some 142 smk for hogs and targets but was wondering what kind of bullet i should shoot for deer and bear? Also what is the realistic effective range on these bullets for deer and bear? I was looking at the berger vlds. I also would like to purchase a scope for hunting chucks. I was thinking about buying the swfa super sniper. Prob in 16x. A friend is really into millet and he keeps pushing me to get one for this gun. Any recommendations?
Thanks

I would agree this rifle can perform at around the 1k mark, if you can shoot well enough. I like the 140 Amax but the VLD is awesome too. I can't say enough about the Super Sniper line. I have two of the 10X's I use for hunting and a 16X on a rifle I shoot at long distances. They perform well.

This summer we were shooting at man sized silleuette targets at 875 yds. Between spotter communication issues and not having a good scope shooting a .243 i still hit it in a few shots. The first few rounds landed into a 12" circle. I would definately have to practice more before i felt more confident about it. The biggest problem was i was using a junk tasco and spotter issues.

Look into the Vortex Viper scopes. Not sure how much you want to spend, but good scope for the money. Can't go wrong with Nikon either. If you want to spend more, then the Sightron SIII, Vortex Viper PST, and Weaver Tactical would be a good route to go. I used a B&C stock on the Savage I built. They are good for the money. It's still in service, just with another owner. Miss that rifle. For a quality stock for a Savage, check out Stockade Stocks. They specifically build stocks for Savage rifles.

Nice shooting on the g-hogs. I would like to hook up sometime. I've been out your way traveling through PA, but have no idea where to go. Our fields are slim pickings anymore here in the State College area. There is a lot of big open farm land your direction. Send me a PM is if you can help me out for next season. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tank

My scope price range is in the 300 dollar range. Up to 500 for a repeatable variable

Im game for some hog hunting next summer. Let me know then long shot for me this summer was 500 yds but no hits. But again i didn't have a decent scope. My .223 will shoot .375 groups all day long. Its a sweet shooter.

My scope price range is in the 300 dollar range. Up to 500 for a repeatable variable

Im game for some hog hunting next summer. Let me know then long shot for me this summer was 500 yds but no hits. But again i didn't have a decent scope. My .223 will shoot .375 groups all day long. Its a sweet shooter.

I have 4 long shots for me. One was at 633 with a 308, and 605, 628, and 648 with a 300WSM. Sounds good. Good luck in deer season.

Tank

The 6.5x284 is very capable and accurate out to 1000 yards on deer and black bear using Berger 140 Hunting VLD's, and the Savage is a proven performer. My only advice is to make sure you don't shortchange on the scope. It is absolutely critical for success at the longer ranges.

I did do some reloading this weekend and although it shoots moa i was kinda hopin to get better accuracy with handloads. I need to get my oal figured out a bit better first i think. Im shooting 142grsmk and i got 1" groups at 100 yds. Now the gun only has 20 shots through it so i want to clean it and shoot the rest of the factory stuff through it. Can you guys shooting savages touch lands and still have enough bullet in the case? I have about .250 of bearing surface in the neck. Not including the boatail. I think im .100 from the lands with how i measured the bullet. I wanna do some more checking tonight.

Do you guys use sweets on stainless barrels?

I did some more reloading. With the bullet touching the lands i got this.

1902B313-52E3-4016-BF6C-FDD9E8AF3C04-565-00000047829476D7.jpg

Its a 6 shot group including the fouling shot. I know i pulled the one shot but not sure if it was the far right one or not. I got some bergers on the way so hopefully they shoot better or just as good.

I was looking at an old weaver 15x 42 with a duplex ret. it has target knobs and appears to be clear. The shop want 395 for it though and im not sure if its a good buy or not. Will this scope do ok? Or should i wait and buy something better? Is the price about right? Clicks appear to be fairly crisp.

Weaver target scopes used to have a good reputation. I have not heard much on them for a while. Google for reviews. That could be a great scope for the money.
It looks like you have it shooting now!

Now i have a chance to buy a 8-32 burris signature select scope. Anyone have an opinion on it? I have read only problem is their limited range in the elevation adjustment.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts