Getting in sheep hunt shape?

Thought about placing this in the physical training section, but ultimately decided I wanted to focus on exercises and movements specific to sheep.
I'm very much a flat lander and now after 4 years of overnights, over working and fast food...I'm in the worst shape I've ever been and most overweight.

I realize sheep hunting is a young man's game and I'm going the opposite way... so my goal is to start this year training, and start applying for tags next year

Sounds like in your case it's a mental thing. Age really isn't as big a factor as people would like to blame. My dad is one of those guys like you. Night shift, worked in a hospital, ate junk. Doctor told him his cholesterol was so high he was going to kill himself. Found a hour a day for himself, 5 days a week, ate half decent and looked like a marathon runner after 5 months.

Start with this. Either at home or at the gym. Make a schedule, even if that means giving up some sleep or something or waking up early, however it works for you and your job. Start slow nothing hard, but just get into the habit of going. Once you get into the habit, it's easier to challenge yourself. It's entirely possible to be in shape and be fat. Fat and muscle are entirely diet based.

For more muscle high protein (Weight-fat=grams of protein per day) micro nutrition and good carbs.

For weight loss- calorie deficet. Period. It's calories in and calories out. There's no special diet, no tricks, outside of certain roids or gear like clen. If you take shortcuts you there are consequences.

I put all that in just because this last part. If you are building up for rucking in steep country, you'll probably want your cardio up and your muscle endurance up. Upper body mass however helps protect the body when wearing a pack of gear all the time. I got my L3 and L4 after I hit an IED on Xmas 2012. Torn my acl in a selection for a particular thing. My back and body hurts, but still having my muscle mass and endurance's sure makes things easier. It's worth it to start now than later!

Last edited:
I hunt sheep every year, probably 20- 30 days a year. I am 61
Since I was 20 have had an exercise plan. It pays off and as you get older you can still climb and decend. Besides all the farm work, I run, ride and rope steers. Walk instead of using motorized transportation, stairs instead of an elevator. My way.

When you can't get away from the house for whatever reason. Put on your pack with weight in it and your boots and step up and down off of a kitchen chair alternating between which leg you step up with first. Can even do it with just boots or tennis shoes to start. I am up to 45 minutes with a 50 pound pack.

I posted earlier, sheep hunting is almost a lifestyle as you delve into it you begin to live it , 365, year after year.
I find outdoor cardio exercise hardens a hunter for hunting conditions and when you exercise heavily your body craves good clean fuel. Exercise also builds bone mass besides muscle.
I live where I hunt but if I didn't I would run staircases, outside in the elements. Exercise inside will not harden a guy enough. Sheep hunting is a physical test.
Good luck.

It's been said that nothing is good as actually backpacking. I agree!
I stuff my Mystery Ranch with 2 20 pound bags of rice. It rides like actual gear vs plates. I do a hike once a week and supplement with a few runs and weightlifting. Try and shed some weight before the trip!

I am well over 50, 73 actually, and hike uneven ground with my 35# pack 5 out of 7 days each week. I am preparing for a sheep hunt in Sept. with a friend who has a sheep tag. I will accompany him due to the fact that this may be my last opportunity to hunt sheep vicariously through him. I have many bonus points but am aging much too rapidly. Besides, the southern part of his draw zone is a wilderness hunt zone that may produce a big, good elk or mulie. It would have to be a true corker for me to put him down as we will hunt to nearly 9600' in elevation.
So, heed what DT jr. has offered, wear your pack full of gear and remember that slow and steady wins the race. Good luck!

When I asked a seasoned buddy of mine what I should do to get into shape for some mountain hunting, his response was every day is leg day. That's all you have to rely on if you dont have a horse. Made sense and I haven't been able to prove him wrong. I haven't done nearly as much as most any one on here has and no sheep hunting but it certainly makes sense to build the muscles you're going to use. Weighted pack up and down elevation. Also I could stand to lose 25lbs....thats 25 lbs I won't have to carry. It's tough to be honest with yourself but it definitely helps. Lots of info I've gathered has also led me to believe you have to be mentally tough as well. The old saying if you believe you can or you can't? Either way you're right.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts